Flyaways?

Reaction score
I ordered a p3p and am worried about the bird flying away on me after seeing several reports of this happening. Has anyone here had a fly away due to mechanical error or is it almost always users error and not a problem with the p3. I am worried about losing my $1000 investment. Any input would be appreciated.

Flyaways are very rare with the Phantom 3. In most (all?) cases, it was probably due to pilot error (e.g. too much wind and/or confusion after auto flipping into ATTI mode). If you take the time to gain a deep understanding of how your Phantom works, this should never happen to you.

That's comforting to hear. I was a bit worried it may be an issue with the p3 itself, not the users fault

The Phantom 3 is a very technical machine. Some people skip all of the important details and just open up the box and fly. That's the worst thing you could do though. Invest the time and you'll have more confidence when you're out flying. And, if you have any questions, just ask us here :)

Reactions: TerenceM
It's generally user error, most often not reading the manual and following good practice instruction.

It is however the nature of the beast, there will always be a risk that you could lose or destroy it for a whole host of reasons.

Ultimately, if you cant afford to lose it then it's probably best not to buy it in the first place.

Don't worry. I worried for a week and what a waste of time that was.

Take your time before flying over the horizon and start reading the manual now to prepare you for how incredible this thing flies. 1 point of the manual that i don't agree with is how tight the props should be, I hand tighten and then quarter turn with the supplied wrench to be sure (as opposed to hand tighten alone)

Reactions: arcaine25
I'm somewhat prepared already. I've been lurking in the forums reading threads, watching videos for a couple months now. Trying to soak in all the info I can before I take it up for there first time

Notw that the price dropped to $999 I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one

Good responses here. I would also add that you should be really aware of how to fly the copter in ATTI mode. Practice in low wind and keep practicing until you can do it without freaking out. Also learn how to fly it without using the app.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
Check threads on here about getting your pre-flight down. It's very important and I think FlyAway's most always are user error and a lot of them can be corrected before the phantom leaves the ground. Good luck, have fun and enjoy. :)

Reactions: Trackman1
The Phantom 3 is a very technical machine. Some people skip all of the important details and just open up the box and fly. That's the worst thing you could do though. Invest the time and you'll have more confidence when you're out flying. And, if you have any questions, just ask us here :)

well the WORST thing you can do is back over it with a truck.... but if you don't read the manual it's kinda the same thing :) lol

Reactions: PJ Orlando
So should I calibrate the compass before every flight or get one good calibration and not mess with it before every flight?

It seems there is differing theories on this.

I think I only heard of one actual flyaway. This was from someone that opened the box, charged the battery, and outside this person went. Put in the air and 45 seconds into the flight error message appeared but ignored. Soon after away it went....see ya later. But there was no later.

So should I calibrate the compass before every flight or get one good calibration and not mess with it before every flight?

I would suggest you check out the thread on calibration but..
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Generally... get a good calibration and leave it alone unless....... definitely do not calibrate every time you fly. I can attest that you introduce the possibility of more problems doing that.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
To be honest.. This is the best selling UAV which increases the number of reported issues. I would say though that if taken as a percentage of issues when you take into account how many Phantoms are in use the problems are pretty small.

Ohhh Nooo....you didn't ask that compass question did you?!

I'm one that says absolutely, as long as you do it properly. You have others that say not to calibrate. I have calibrated the compass on my P3P each time I install a charged battery. I do the process properly and I have a much better feeling knowing things are good to go. You just never know you may have had the compass near metal or there was some type of metal under a table, in the car while transporting, or anywhere for that matter. As I say....properly calibrated=piece of mind.

I would suggest you check out the thread on calibration but..
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Generally... get a good calibration and leave it alone unless....... definitely do not calibrate every time you fly. I can attest that you introduce the possibility of more problems doing that.

I understood the DJI instruction to be that you calibrated for every new location you took off from? So have followed it religiously.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr