Flyaway Survey TX Type

Reaction score
If you have had a flyaway, Please post what type of Transmitter you were using at the time.

Stock TX, Futaba, JR, Spectrum, ect

Stock!

I could have become a tree cutter with the first flyaway recently. Bad motor and lost satellite I believe.

I don't think we should jump to drawing a definitive conclusion from this..

One could argue that flyers new to multirotor would also be using the stock Tx, and that therefore a proportion of the flyaways could be down to inexperience, and that experiencied pilots are more likely to upgrade the Tx.

My flyaway, on the stock Tx was definitely not pilot error :roll: she was 300metres away at about 30 metres alt on my 9 o'clock and she just tilted her nose down, and flew at full speed dead ahead for about 30 seconds until she hit a hedge on the other side of the valley I was flying in.
The first thing I did when I realised I didnt have control, was to confirm switch positions and then hands off of sticks, and see if she stopped in a hover (which she didnt), and then I turned the Tx off - and that had no effect either.
This was before the interestingly-titled 'Receiver Advanced Protection Function' was included in v 3.12.

Now , I use a Futaba 8FGS , with a dedicated failsafe switch , and have more flight experience to deal with the 'ooh ****' moments when they happen. I've got a checklist that I *always* run through before I launch too..

I week into flying
Flying somewhere i should not have been
Flying at night after only been flying for a week
Had no idea what the LED's really meant
Had no idea what home lock was

Yes i was using a stock tx

If i had to do it all over again now after having been flying for 3 mo's that would never happen for many reasons.

Please tell me there have also been equal amount of reports of flyaways with upgraded radio systems. I am getting my phantom today and am forced to fly with stock remote for the next couple weeks until i purchase another radio. Reading this thread makes me worry more then Is needed I hope.

Wish me luck...
* hey Marcus it's me Steve. Lol

I just sent DJI another email trying to even get an acknowledgment about my fly away. Nothing so far...

Given the amount of my investment and the number of similar flyaways, I don't see how they can defend this design or update to the firmware or both for that matter in a small claims court.

Honestly, if they won't even get back to me I don't see any choice but to go there...

Kashalp said:
Please tell me there have also been equal amount of reports of flyaways with upgraded radio systems. I am getting my phantom today and am forced to fly with stock remote for the next couple weeks until i purchase another radio. Reading this thread makes me worry more then Is needed I hope.

Wish me luck...
* hey Marcus it's me Steve. Lol

You'll be fine Pal. The number of incidents of flyway's is tiny, although most of them were around the Angus Area LMAO

Might be easier to ask how many have had a flyaway with upgraded tx/rx?

Not trying to trounce on DJI here, but everything I've read, seen, heard so far leads me to believe there are issues with the stock tx/rx. Of course I realize, that's by default what most of us are flying with... which is why I changed the question a bit.

I cant wait to get my Spektrum setup

Stock radio

Spectrum DX 8 is better. It has 2 antenna like the Futuba

I do believe the radio is the weak link

D

CameraGuy said:
Stock radio

Spectrum DX 8 is better. It has 2 antenna like the Futuba

I do believe the radio is the weak link

D

that's what I'm doing. DX8 with 8000 rx. Exceptional range, quality, built in telemetry... I think its the best bang for the quad buck.

i may be mistaking but i thought i read somewhere that the firmware was responsible for flyaways before 3.14. are they still flying away after 3.14?

Scottyo said:
i may be mistaking but i thought i read somewhere that the firmware was responsible for flyaways before 3.14. are they still flying away after 3.14?
You're right buts was before 3.12. I had followed some forums and those flyaways reported has been with no updated phantoms or pilot error. Before 3.12 almost daily someone reported flyaway.

Take this with a grain of salt but has anybody looked into carbon fiber being a culprit? I vaguely remember from my CP heli days reading about how some people believed the carbon fiber Canopies and/or blades could cause interference with the choppers rx and/or gryo?

I wonder how many "unexplained" fly away users have upgraded there props, shells, or landing gear? Might be worth looking into. I don't remember the science or explanation behind it all and it's way to late for me to get into that sort of reading again but if anyone feels inclined or has some knowledge on this, please feel free to speak up.

P.s.. Now that I think a bit I believe it had something to do with the rotation of the blades and the carbon creating a static field. Again....grain of salt. Just trying to help solve a problem.

bradders said:
I don't think we should jump to drawing a definitive conclusion from this..

One could argue that flyers new to multirotor would also be using the stock Tx, and that therefore a proportion of the flyaways could be down to inexperience, and that experiencied pilots are more likely to upgrade the Tx.

My flyaway, on the stock Tx was definitely not pilot error :roll: she was 300metres away at about 30 metres alt on my 9 o'clock and she just tilted her nose down, and flew at full speed dead ahead for about 30 seconds until she hit a hedge on the other side of the valley I was flying in.
The first thing I did when I realised I didnt have control, was to confirm switch positions and then hands off of sticks, and see if she stopped in a hover (which she didnt), and then I turned the Tx off - and that had no effect either.
This was before the interestingly-titled 'Receiver Advanced Protection Function' was included in v 3.12.

Now , I use a Futaba 8FGS , with a dedicated failsafe switch , and have more flight experience to deal with the 'ooh ****' moments when they happen. I've got a checklist that I *always* run through before I launch too..

I agree with everything you said. While the TX is probably a prime suspect, it would be good to collect more data. Skill level, what mode were you flying in, is there potential for any interference, was there potentially a pilot error, etc.

I did have one fly away about a month ago. It was with stock everything (TX, Props, etc) Firmware 3.16, no gimbal, no go pro attached. I had maybe 20 flights under my belt and was careful about running through the checklist and waited until I had a good GPS signal before taking off. I started off in GPS mode, lost control and it hit my roof, then took off in one direction unresponsive. I also tried ATT. mode, and that didn't help. I found I was able to control decent, but nothing else. I brought it down as fast as I could. I figured a crash was better that losing it. Luckily there was no damage. It landed in grass. The initial part of the flight (when I had control) was fairly straight up, and in line with the antenna, which I know you aren't really suppose to do. That is the only thing I can think of that I did wrong. If it wasn't getting a good single because of a blind spot though, I should have regained control once the Phantom was flown off a bit and was no longer in that blind spot. I suppose a strong WiFi signal coming from my house (or my neighbors could have temporarily interfered, but that hasn't been a problem on any other flights. This week I'll be switching to a different TX. he stock one while installing the lever that came with the upgrade kit, and was considering a different one anyway because I truest the reliability of some of the 3rd party ones more than the stock one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers