Flyaway Question

Even if you're switch is in the off position you will see the double set of flashing green if IOC is enabled in the software. As for home lock, I have never had a problem with it setting it's Home position even after moving more than 600 miles.

The green light sequence of rapid flashing happens rather quickly. I think it is very easy to miss them if you happen to be looking away. Really the only reliable way to know if it has acquired a home point is to look on the app or do a quick home lock check.

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
Really the only reliable way to know if it has acquired a home point is to look on the app or do a quick home lock check.
To the best of my knowledge, nothing in the app tells you that a home point has been registered. Going gray-to-blue on the GPS status only tells you that you have enough satellites (6+) to fly.

Distance is relative to the home point, Radar icon is relative to the home point, so yes that and the blue 7 sat or more icon is more than enough information without having to look at the phantom.

Werz said:
Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
Really the only reliable way to know if it has acquired a home point is to look on the app or do a quick home lock check.
To the best of my knowledge, nothing in the app tells you that a home point has been registered. Going gray-to-blue on the GPS status only tells you that you have enough satellites (6+) to fly.

The small radar screen at the lower left of the app will show the recorded home point and where the phantom is relative to that point

Michigan_PI said:
Werz said:
Cocoa Beach Kiter said:

The small radar screen at the lower left of the app will show the recorded home point and where the phantom is relative to that point

Tap the Radar at the bottom left. This will enlarge.
As stated before, 0.0 distance is the "recorded home point".
If you see N/A, then it has not recorded a home point.

Sounds silly, but part of my preflight checks was to hold the phantoms arm (so I dont cover the GPS) and walk it in a figure of 8/circle whilst looking at the radar. This helped minimise erroneous/false GPS readings, the same thing when you first turn on any GPS device and it shows that you are at another location and then the moment you move, it corrects itself.

I had a flyaway yesterday. Had a successful flight about 250km away in the morning. In the afternoon I took it out again recalibrated the compass at the new location. Waited for 7 satellites and took off. I didn't turn on the camera but just just idled around a bit to make sure everything was sweet. It was performing as I expected so I gained some height ready to film a lake.

The Phantom suddenly shot upwards and headed off to god knows where. It wasn't responding to any input from me. At that point I switched to ATTI mode and got it the drop straight down into a forest as the only other option was the lake.

At that stage I figured it would be stuck in the highest tree it could find, However I walked into the forest and basically within 2 minutes I saw it sitting on the ground. I have no idea how it made it through all the branches above but they must have slowed it down as it was completely undamaged. The battery had come out but the gimbal, props and body were undamaged. Props are now a bit green.

The pic is the flight path from my Flytrex in Google Earth ground level view. Data shows 7 - 8 Satellites at all times.

I expected the worst but couldn't believe my luck. Got home and wrote my phone number on it immediately

Attachments

• Crash.jpg
    Crash.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 347
cshaw said:
I had a flyaway yesterday. Had a successful flight about 250km away in the morning. In the afternoon I took it out again recalibrated the compass at the new location. Waited for 7 satellites and took off. I didn't turn on the camera but just just idled around a bit to make sure everything was sweet. It was performing as I expected so I gained some height ready to film a lake.

The Phantom suddenly shot upwards and headed off to god knows where. It wasn't responding to any input from me. At that point I switched to ATTI mode and got it the drop straight down into a forest as the only other option was the lake.

At that stage I figured it would be stuck in the highest tree it could find, However I walked into the forest and basically within 2 minutes I saw it sitting on the ground. I have no idea how it made it through all the branches above but they must have slowed it down as it was completely undamaged. The battery had come out but the gimbal, props and body were undamaged. Props are now a bit green.

The pic is the flight path from my Flytrex in Google Earth ground level view. Data shows 7 - 8 Satellites at all times.

I expected the worst but couldn't believe my luck. Got home and wrote my phone number on it immediately

WTF!!!
I assume that where the flytrex stopped is the tree?
What did your radar say? Was the phantom in the centre of your radar?

That flight pattern looks like the compass is fighting the GPS. I read somewhere that if it flies in a circle then the GPS is contradicting the compass (or vice versa) and causing confusion.

My other theory is with the Geo fence restrictions (unlikely but plausible). The max height and max radius setup in the Phantom assist works by GPS and tells the phantom that it cannot be outside this barrier/geo fence. If it does, then it must fly back to it. Lets say that the last known home point was 250kms away - the phantom is going to want to go back there.

I know If you have enough speed and inertia, the phantom can break the geo fence. If it does that, the flight controls become restricted (I think you can still control yaw) until it come back into the geo fence zone, hence the loss in controls.

I set my geo fence to max 9999999999 in the phantom assist as I don't trust it.

The Phantom was at the centre of the radar. The compass calibration did all the right things and the LEDs went out, but I do wonder if it actually worked. After the crash the compass needed calibrating again and it took a few tries to get it right. Whether that was a result of the crash I don't know. It flew OK today. I just hovered it about 30ft up above my back yard and did a few tentative maneuvers around the section. All seems good

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic