FlyAway Phobia .... spoils the fun ...

Reaction score
Guys ,, reading the posts i am freaked out .... i dont want to loose my Phantom ... i fly it every day one month now i am in love with it .... the only time i feel sad is when the battery is charging .... i live on a Mediteranean Island so sometimes i fly it over the sea ... Fly Away will mean completly crushing my best present to my self ever ... not to mention that i will never been able to buy another one ... i start geting paranoid flying it to risky places and i fly less and less and closer to me posible .... please let me know that there will be an update version software soon thar will have no fly aways reported ...

Fly away Phantom is like having Monica Belucchi as a girlfriend and waking up one morning and she is gone with the Kebab guy oposite the street.

I feel it too manos.. same thing and I don't think the paranoia will go away with firmware. Having had one miracle in finding a lost Phantom It's like I'm on borrowed time and won't get another miracle finding it if lost again.

manosmanoli said:
Guys ,, reading the posts i am freaked out .... i dont want to loose my Phantom ... i fly it every day one month now i am in love with it .... the only time i feel sad is when the battery is charging .... i live on a Mediteranean Island so sometimes i fly it over the sea ... Fly Away will mean completly crushing my best present to my self ever ... not to mention that i will never been able to buy another one ... i start geting paranoid flying it to risky places and i fly less and less and closer to me posible .... please let me know that there will be an update version software soon thar will have no fly aways reported ...

Fly away Phantom is like having Monica Belucchi as a girlfriend and waking up one morning and she is gone with the Kebab guy oposite the street.

Haha, brilliant :D

But yes, fly aways and the potential for any Phantom to just head off on its own at any time certainly is a worry. I've ordered a few different GPS tracking solutions (cheap and not so cheap) and will be testing them all on my phantom and hopefully it will take some of the worry away.

Maybe stay away from forums and the internet in general as it will likely give you a phobia of everything if you look deeply into any subject. ;)

Think of any product or activity and do a google search for it along with the words fail or danger and your bound to find negative posts on just about anything. The more popular something is the more bad things you will find about it online but you need to put these numbers into perspective of real world percentages. There have been millions of phantoms sold and a vast majority have behaved well, many have crashed or been lost due to user error but very few have had very odd unexplainable issues that caused them to crash or flyaway completely on their own without the user at fault in any way.

Just read the majority of new user posts here and these will show you how many people fly these with no interest in reading the manual, learning the basic controls, led sequences or even proper startup procedure. Then look at the issues many people have which are directly related to these basics they should know before flying the phantom. Many go out and fly way beyond their current skill levels and get into trouble. Then when they screw up and crash or lose the phantom how many of these refuse to believe they were at fault in any way.

Have fun flying do your best to make sure you know what your doing and how best to avoid risks you dont want to take, remember the basic law of physics what goes up will come down. Just make sure when it comes down you are still in control, flying anything is always going to have some risk attached so if your too worried about losing or crashing your phantom you may want to sell it now and get into something safer and cheaper like knitting. :mrgreen:

Im impressed with the phantom for what it is, its electronic autopilot isn't perfect and you should learn to fly it properly without relying on this 100%, as this will help you get out of some sticky situations. There will be some uncontrollable flyaway type situations but these are very rare and many claim everything to be a flyaway. Most so called flyaways are user error so if you do your best to avoid this, flying the phantom can still be a fun and safe activity at whatever risk level you choose to fly at.

I don't have proof, but I think most of this fly-a-way problem is from people just not reading and/or following the manual! The flashing lites tell it all...........and people aren't paying attention! :shock:

Since DJI included the "RECEIVER PROTECTION FUNCTION" in Firmware 3.12 I have not read more about flycaways, except for guys that never upgraded their phantoms...

What is "RECEIVER PROTECTION FUNCTION" and how does it prevent fly aways ?

I agree i have been flying for just over a month now and already lost one in the first week. I must say it was because i was not very experienced and was flying in an area only one experienced pilot should fly.

Anyhow everytime i fly now i am so nervous about loosing it and the nervousness usually dissipates by the time i get to my 3rd battery..lol

Just make sure you perform your pre-flight checks and inspect your craft prior to and after every flight. Upgrade the Firmware, be safe and have fun.

I also am looking into a small GPS trasnmitter that will help ease my fears as well.

Buk said:
What is "RECEIVER PROTECTION FUNCTION" and how does it prevent fly aways ?

a5795952-19-image.jpg

slugger said:
I don't have proof, but I think most of this fly-a-way problem is from people just not reading and/or following the manual! The flashing lites tell it all...........and people aren't paying attention! :shock:

I wish you were right and I could accept it. That said I have had two units due to a fly away on my first. Had over 100 flights with first one before losing it. I had read the manuals soo much I could recite it to you. Didnt help my unit when it came time to have a GPS freak out.

I agree that a lot of problems can be solved by just reading the manual. When mine arrives I plan to be ready. I've down loaded both the quick start and the advanced manuals. Being a computer idiot I don't know how to do all this update firmware stuff yet. I'm doing good to check email. All that being said it looks like fun so I'm going to buy it.

Tom

Just take it slow and easy in a wide open space. Left, Right, forward back,

I would say fly it a first alone. No distractions.
It really is easy to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan to go 'REAL' slow. I see a lot of guys doing stunts with helicopters and even quads. I don't do stunts, I just want to fly around and maybe do a little aerial potography. I'd love to try FPV at some point. I've built several quads and tricopters using a KK2 board but they just arn't as stable or have the IOC like the Phantom.

Tom

Oh, well you area RC guy. You want have any issues.

E

Does the Phantom fly better or worse depending on the area I'm in? I'm going to try and find some other Phantom owners in my area that might be willing to offer classes or even a few lessons on how to keep my Phantom software up to date. I am not real swift with computers.

Tom

Right now would not be a good time to fool with the software. They have been having some issues with the updates.

Keep checking back here. One of the first places to hear of the go a head.

I have only had my Phantom for a couple of weeks. No loosing control yet but I recently read about the fly-aways on another site that has over 50 web pages on the subject. I am happy to report that the problem has been "narrowed down" :)
-WiFi problem
-Wind problem
-Wet compass
-Disconnected compass
-Home Lock set for China
-Not waiting for warm-up
-Warms up quicker than normal
-Having cell phone in pocket while calibrating
-Having transmitter around neck when transmitting
-Not updating in Assistant software
-Updating in Assistant software
-Not calibrating in Assistant software
-Calibrating in Assistant software
-Defective firmware
-Air pressure from props entering the vents
-Buried metal
-Power lines
-Shoddy workmanship
-Cheap transmitter
-Not checking for satellite LED status

I am sure that there are other theories too. I need to fly my Phantom to clear my head.

Carr52 said:
Does the Phantom fly better or worse depending on the area I'm in? I'm going to try and find some other Phantom owners in my area that might be willing to offer classes or even a few lessons on how to keep my Phantom software up to date. I am not real swift with computers.

Tom

You are overthinking this.

If you have the experience with KK based quads, this will be a walk in the park.

Yes, there are issues. I have had 2 fly aways. No, there is no explanation.

Like many have said, every time you push that gain control to lift off, you may have already made the mistake that will cause the flyaway. There is nothing anyone else can say about the situation. Either DJI will fix it, or they won't. They won't admit there is an issue, they won't even tell us where it is, or how to minimize it. In short, they are making money while the sun shines. When a viable competitor comes out, maybe the Blade, maybe not, we might see some additional efforts,

My 2 cents. Charge the battery. Do the compass calibration, wait for the GPS lock, have a short flight.

Repeat.

Darren

Yes I've used the KK2 board a lot but still its not as good in my opinion as what I've seen of the Phantom. thats why I am buying it. Still on the road and still reading the manuals. I won't even order my Phantom till I get home. For now I'll settle for reading and trying to learn.

Tom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers