FlyAway on Video

I agree. To a point. There were a few seconds there where the LAT/LONG wasn't being updated and the figures remained frozen.

That part got me kind of dizzy :/

@OP

I'm pretty new to the Phantom and drones in general. This scares the crap out of me... I doubt I'd be able to regain control if it were to happen to me due to lack of experience.

Just out of curiosity, you obviously were in GPS mode but did you eventually switch to ATT?

I normally use my cell phone for FPV (which has service/gps as well) .. would this interfere at all with the phantom during calibration and/or flight?

Sorry that this happened to you but very happy to see that you were able to regain control and retrieve the bird.

IMHO Pilots that do a compass calibration before every flight is just asking for trouble. I have proven safe calibration spots within 50 miles of my flight areas, and I never calibrate unless I have moved outside of the area. If you have a good calibration you do not need to redo it unless you move to another site at least 50 miles away or more. By doing excessive calibrations you are increasing the chances you will get a bad one. If you're worried then just check your MOD numbers before flight.

Forgive me if i'm wrong but I thought Compass calibration is the safest way before every flight? Ive not had my P3 for long but most reviews I see recommend Compass calibration before take off?

Forgive me if i'm wrong but I thought Compass calibration is the safest way before every flight? Ive not had my P3 for long but most reviews I see recommend Compass calibration before take off?

Mate, it's hard to separate fact from fiction over this. The manual states you should, but every second person here will tell you different seemingly based on hearsay. Would be good to hear from the DJI engineers officially.

Personally I've not been, if my last flight was a good flight. Who knows. Cross your fingers and hope what you are doing is correct.

Mate, it's hard to separate fact from fiction over this. The manual states you should, but every second person here will tell you different seemingly based on hearsay. Would be good to hear from the DJI engineers officially.

Personally I've not been, if my last flight was a good flight. Who knows. Cross your fingers and hope what you are doing is correct.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm guessing any techs (including level 3) will tell you whatever it says in the manual.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm guessing any techs (including level 3) will tell you whatever it says in the manual.

Well the manual actually contradicts itself, as in one spot it says to calibrate in any new location and then further on it says to do it each and every time. It's no wonder customers are confused.

In my experience to date, taking off in a 'clean' metal free location is more of a concern. I've experienced the toilet bowl effect and a mini fly away so I'll always check the MOD values before take off now. I'm never really confident until I've flown for a minute or two. Other's have not had any such hiccups.

Learn how to quickly switch to and fly ATTI mode and you will likely be able to combat issues that arise with the IMU/compass sensors.

Well the manually actually contradicts itself, as in one spot it says to calibrate in any new location and then further on it says to do it each and every time. It's no wonder customers are confused.

In my experience to date, taking off in a 'clean' metal free location is more of a concern. I've experienced the toilet bowl effect and a mini fly away so I'll always check the MOD values before take off now. I'm never really confident until I've flown for a minute or two. Other's have not had any such hiccups.

Learn how to quickly switch to and fly ATTI mode and you will likely be able to combat issues that arise with the IMU/compass sensors.

Yes, Ive only been flying a few months now and Ive had to nearly close calls. Only one out of the two did I actually crash.

There's this local park I go to fly... the first time I ever flew there everything seemed perfect .. went back 2-3 times and all went smooth. 2 months later I return and I noticed that the drone would be very unstable (P2 Vision+). The last time I flew it there (2 weeks ago) I was in the air about 60 ft and the drone started drifting to the left and rotating somewhat IIRC. I was able to regain control still in GPS mode but never understood why all of a sudden the same park, same spot I was experiencing such instability when I finally started getting comfortable flying there. In fact, I don't think I ever put my P2 into Naza-mode?

I would ALWAYS do a Compass calibration pre flight. Something I did notice was that although I had 8-9 satellites, it would switch rapidly from Safe to fly to non-gps or something like that as if the signal was poor or something and this started happening after my 4th flight or so. At this point I just avoid going there.

The second experience was when I had just landed in NY on a trip back from FL. I arrived home, got settled in, took the drone outside, did a compass calibration and took off.. 20 seconds later it felt as if it was ATTI mode and I was losing control. I hit the ground as it looked like it was going to take off by itself or something. The camera was misaligned and I broke a prop guard. This time, I think this was caused by me no doing an IMU calibration.

Another concern of mine is, I see people talk about a lot are power lines etc. I live in the City where we have over head residential power lines and haven't noticed any real problems flight wise. What are your thoughts on this btw?

Appreciate your help! I feel safer already ;)

Well Good Morning. I can't believe the number of people that have contributed to this conversation and I would like to thank all of you. You input has been appreciated.

I was asked for the TXT CVS and DAT files. I am including the txt and cvs files. For the life of me I can't seem to find the DAT files. I plugged in both the side Mini USB input and the one on the front of the bird (that one gives me no information period and does not seem to connect to the PC once plugged in).

Below please find the txt and cvs files and should someone be able to direct this old fellow to the DAT files I will post one for this issue. I have seen them before in my travels trying to get Dashware up and running but for the life of me I can't seem to find it today.

Thanks again to all who are trying to assist me.

OK So now I have another problem ... I can't seem to upload the cvs file, anyone know why??

Thank you very one for all your assistance. I can't seem to find the DAT files to download and post. If someone could direct me I would appreciate it very much. I have tried the mini USB port near the Memory card port and also the one at the front of the Phantom. The one at the front doesn't even register on my PC it is like I am not plugged in at all.

I was wanting to post the txt and cvs files but this site doesn't seem to want to let me upload a cvs file, any ideas??

Thanks

Thank you very one for all your assistance. I can't seem to find the DAT files to download and post. If someone could direct me I would appreciate it very much. I have tried the mini USB port near the Memory card port and also the one at the front of the Phantom. The one at the front doesn't even register on my PC it is like I am not plugged in at all.

I was wanting to post the txt and cvs files but this site doesn't seem to want to let me upload a cvs file, any ideas??

Thanks

The aircraft's logs are stored in the aircraft. In the DJi app, you need to:

- Click “Mode” icon to view the “Advanced Settings”.
- Click “MC Enter Read Flight Data Mode”.
- After a few seconds, the DJI Flight Log disk will be detected by the PC and you will be able to access the data.

You must be aware that the aircraft flight logs start logging once you turn on the aircraft. If you leave it too long, the logs will be overwritten. The logging rate is such that it only take 4 hours before the 3GB storage is full and then it erases old logs.

I unfortunately lost my flight logs that way after my incident, as I was discharging my Phantom 3 batteries prior to boarding a commercial airliner. This mistake has most likely cost me replacement Phantom 3 from DJI because of lack of evidence, but I did send them my iPad flight logs.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437755420.878770.jpg

I had the same exact thing happen twice yesterday. The first time the bird made a violent dive to the left. I was able to correct it and fly back towards home. Then it did it again and I couldn't recover. Totally destroyed. I was recording but I have been unable to retrieve it.

View attachment 25702
I had the same exact thing happen twice yesterday. The first time the bird made a violent dive to the left. I was able to correct it and fly back towards home. Then it did it again and I couldn't recover. Totally destroyed. I was recording but I have been unable to retrieve it.

My heart goes out to you man.

Are these considered actual flyways ? Just wondering it maybe just user end.
If not this is the first true flyway I've seen,
I didn't know what else to call it. It may very well not be a flyaway however, since it did things on it's own without input from me on the controller I considered that a flyaway for the purposes of this discussion. Should you think of another descriptor word I would be happy to use that (LOL).

I personally don't care what we call it just so long as I can figure it out and not have it happen again

But for the grace of God that very well could have been my Phantom (without the grass stains). I am sorry for you and I now understand how it feels and the whirlwind of thoughts that spin through your head as you watch it happening.

I didn't know what else to call it. It may very well not be a flyaway however, since it did things on it's own without input from me on the controller I considered that a flyaway for the purposes of this discussion. Should you think of another descriptor word I would be happy to use that (LOL).

I personally don't care what we call it just so long as I can figure it out and not have it happen again

No worries just that when users start seeing p3 flyway they think of the P2's and the old not this again. Just don't want to turn off a prospective buyer, myself I would have hesitated if I saw a large amount of posts saying flyway. User error I can look past. Others can chime in I just wanted to know form the guy's that do all the in depth discoveries for mishaps on this forum if we are going to classify it as a true flyway or?

Glad you saved it!.

View attachment 25702

That blows. Log a case with DJI. Post your TXT log file if you can.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik