FlyAway on Video

Reaction score
Because of the concerns of late surrounding flyaways and having experienced my first yesterday, I decided I would sign on and post this video, in case it might help others in some way.

What is interesting is that for the first half of the gyrations I had removed my hands from the control sticks completely. As soon as I realized that was not a viable solution I tried adding altitude and forward commands until it started to respond. Worth noting is that I had just completed a fully calibration, IMU, gimbal and compass. I also included DashWare info in case it might assist in some way.

Need to build some nerve to try flying again after this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Louis_Eng
Something wrong with your compass.

My guess is you either had a bad compass calibration or took off from something with metal too close to the compass.

I hope you get it sorted to fly another day.

Reactions: Jbundy63
I'd love to take a look at the .TXT and .DAT log files from this flight, if you know how to get them.

My guess is you either had a bad compass calibration.

I agree, at first glance this looks like a bad compass calibration.

Reactions: Fplvert
Because of the concerns of late surrounding flyaways and having experienced my first yesterday, I decided I would sign on and post this video, in case it might help others in some way.

What is interesting is that for the first half of the gyrations I had removed my hands from the control sticks completely. As soon as I realized that was not a viable solution I tried adding altitude and forward commands until it started to respond. Worth noting is that I had just completed a fully calibration, IMU, gimbal and compass. I also included DashWare info in case it might assist in some way.

Need to build some nerve to try flying again after this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks like the GPS was't updating your location. Compass looks like it was working.

Looks like the GPS was't updating your location. Compass looks like it was working.

I agree. To a point. There were a few seconds there where the LAT/LONG wasn't being updated and the figures remained frozen.

Heading, derived primarily via compass but also updated over a longer time via GPS, was also not updating at some points given the direction of flight.

I would highly recommend an IMU reset and complete IMU calibration and then, a compass calibration in a known, good area.

It appears as though you were flying over a school. Know that schools typically have microwave cell towers very close to them as well as alert systems that could possibly interfere with the operation of your UAV. Go back to that area and look for cell towers. These towers are the worst enemies of R/C aircraft IMO. I've lost one fixed wing aircraft due to "repeater" stations near schools that weren't immediately apparent due to their lower profile compared to full sized cell towers. I've completely destroyed one fixed wing, powered glider due to what I had been informed was an inop cell tower that was suddenly returned to service the day before that ill fated flight.

Good work on getting it straightened out and landed safely. Interesting to note that during the first two seconds starting right before the problem occurred your sat count jumped from 13 to 18. What was it just before you took off?

It looked as though the craft quickly surged to the right a couple of times. Did anyone else see that. If so it may have and ESC trying to fail and the remaining motors sped up to compensate giving indication of a fly a way. Worth checking it out. Compass onscreen surged also.

Reactions: taroh
I agree. To a point. There were a few seconds there where the LAT/LONG wasn't being updated and the figures remained frozen.

Heading, derived primarily via compass but also updated over a longer time via GPS, was also not updating at some points given the direction of flight.

I would highly recommend an IMU reset

Watch the video again. GPS readings looked to match flight.

Not sure what IMU reset means?

Compass is whacked!!!

Watch the video again. GPS readings looked to match flight.

Not sure what IMU reset means?

Perhaps you're right. It may be that the Phantom was so busily rotating on its own axis that that is the reason the LAT/LONG didn't change for a bit.

Does the P3 not have a page in the assistant software for an Advanced IMU Calibration?

Perhaps you're right. It may be that the Phantom was so busily rotating on its own axis that that is the reason the LAT/LONG didn't change for a bit.

Does the P3 not have a page in the assistant software for an Advanced IMU Calibration?
Sure, thought maybe there's a reset we should know about before calibrating.

Yeah, I don't see an issue with GPS by the numbers either. At that Lat/Long a variation of .0001 is about 25'-35'. When you then take into account the GPS accuracy limitations, it seems the numbers are updating appropriately.

The compass readings however do seem wildly variable.

Something wrong with your compass.

My guess is you either had a bad compass calibration or took off from something with metal too close to the compass.

I hope you get it sorted to fly another day.

I agree that's what it looks like.

To get the .DAT files, put the Phantom in "flight recorder mode" using the DJI Pilot App, then connect it to your computer using the USB port. It'll show up as a USB drive on your computer. You'll see a bunch of .DAT files. It's hard to know which one is the one from the flyaway, best copy them all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan