Flyaway --Interrupted

What is your TX/RX ?

It will be interesting to dig into your Phantom electronics since you managed to have it back.

The only thing I do not agree with your check list, is to do every time the "compass dance". I would do it just every time that is needed and in a familiar place, if by any chance there is a magnetic field in a new flying location then this could actually make your compass going crazy.

I am glad you at leas have your Phantom to repair it and continue your hobby.

M

I used to think that the stock TX/RX was always involved. But this is not always the case.

However, the craft behaviour is consistent with all genuine flyaways i.e. where pilot error can be reasonably discounted.

All [valid] reports are that the craft acts as if both sticks are pushed fully forward.

As you say, your flyaway was interrupted, so you never got to the point of discovering that forcing a RTH didn't work!

Tyrohne said:
I feel like I'm beginning a letter to Bob Guccione's Forum but here goes...

I never thought it could happen to me. I was out flying in a vacant field near my neighborhood this afternoon. My preflight checklist is the same every time I fly.. Batteries. I check the M6 Nyloc prop nuts, compass dance, turn on gopro, fly. Today I was flying for fun. No GP. No phone in my pocket (I had left it at home). Just me and the Phantom. The weather was perfect. Light 3-4 knot wind.

The batteries both in the Tx and Phantom had just come off the charger. I was using a Turnigy 2200 in the phantom and all was good. I took off, flew around a bit (30 -40 seconds) and dropped it to the ground and was flying about a meter off the deck when my phantom started pitching hard away from me and climbing fast as if possessed. It was totally unresponsive to input. It was hauling and by sheer luck, she clipped a telephone pole (maybe the last foot of it) that had no wires on it and was just standing naked near the side of this field. The impact broke a prop and the phantom tumbled out of the air and broke one landing strut and another CF prop on impact. I had looked at my wrist watch when I shut the door and the whole sequence by the time I had ran over and picked up the copter was less than three minutes and it probably took me twenty seconds to get to the edge of the field.

I don't know what to say. I was probably a good half a click from the closest 2.4ghz network. I did everything as I always do. Up until today I was pretty sure it was user error when I read about a flyaway. I googled around a bit but didn't find anything definitive about an upgraded Tx flying off.

From your comments it sounds as though you are running an aftermarket TX/RX but you have not confirmed that. Is that the case or was it stock TX/RX?
What version firmware was installed?
When did you last do an advanced IMU calibration?
Was the sun very bright and low in the sky? (That's not a random question as sunlight on the LHS of the Naza body SERIOUSLY affects the internal barometer) That's why I have black insulation tape on mine !
Have you opened up the Phantom since the crash and checked Naza, GPS etc is fully secure?
One final thought when you flew around (for 30-40 seconds) did you land, stop motors and then immediately take off again?
And last - how old is the Lipo you were using (approx how many charge discharge cycles?)
Oh and..... do you use stock charger or aftermarket?
The reason for asking the last three is because if the Lipo has at some point become compromised then it's possible it caused a brown-out in the Naza and crashed the firmware.

Sorry to hear about your fly away/crash - maybe if you can answer the above questions it may help in gettin some answers as to why it happened.

All the best

I wish you hadn't updated the firmware. If you bought it from a dealer, I know DJI has been replacing recovered flyaways for free. I think they really want to dissect the phantoms that do this so they can be more aware of what causes the problem. Your dealer still might do it though.

I am on the final approach to buy a Phantom V 1.2 but all this flyaway reports scare me like hell! I'm not up to let the money go to heaven with not even knowing when or how it may happen.

Is that the case with any multicopter, or it is just an issue with NAZA and DJI products? Maybe your comments will change my approach.

Alberto

Tyrohne said:
Update:

I upgraded to 4.02 and have been flying a few weeks now on it with no more issues. Are flyaways a thing of the past?
i don't think they are .i received mine on tusday and lost it by wednesday.have contacted dji but they seem very reluctant to do anything...any tips from anyone to get them to replace it will be great

chrisflyer said:
Tyrohne said:
Update:

I upgraded to 4.02 and have been flying a few weeks now on it with no more issues. Are flyaways a thing of the past?
i don't think they are .i received mine on tusday and lost it by wednesday.have contacted dji but they seem very reluctant to do anything...any tips from anyone to get them to replace it will be great

Have you tried contacting the dealer where you got your Phantom? That seems to be dji stock suggestion on their facebook page regarding flyaways.

fly-catchers said:
chrisflyer said:
Tyrohne said:
Update:

Have you tried contacting the dealer where you got your Phantom? That seems to be dji stock suggestion on their facebook page regarding flyaways.
i did call then action cameras but they did not seem that concermned and told me to contact dji..then just as i was saying ok thanks i will he said they have heard of quite a few fly aways .mm i thought so there is a problem then.spent the best part of a week now walking through muddy fields trying to find it

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie