FlyAway - 2 Months In A Corn Field - Video

Reaction score
Hello folks,
First let me say I really appreciate all of the good information I have recived from this forum .. I have been lurking here for several months. Back in September my wife purchased a phantom 1 for me for my birthday. It's something I've been wanting for a long while. While waiting for it to arrive I watched all of the instrution videos on youtube and download the manual. I flew RC airplanes for years and was really excited to get in to this hobby.. When my phantom arrived I was excited to get flying . I did all of the pre flight checks .. Took her out for a first flight and I was like WOW! This is a lot harder than I expected. I only went up about 20 feet. Tried to hover and just fly around the yard for a bit. I was fighting the controls just to keep it steady but managed to land safely. Anyway, with my lack of knowledge I just assumed that is how these things are supposed to fly. Changed battery and then on the second flight I took up to about 40 feet. It just took off. It throttled up and was ripping through the trees like a chain saw. Once it cleared the trees it hit a power line and crashed in my neighbors yard. Ok, so I just chalked it up to pilot error and inexperience although I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. I brought it in the house and inspected everything. All looked good with no damage. I charged up the batteries and checked all calibrations. I decided to take the phantom to a place where I had more open space to fly. So that evening I took it to the parking lot where I work. I again, did all of the preflight checks. Calibrated the compass and waited for all of the proper lights. I took it up about 30 feet and it just took off at full speed. I had no control. I switched to ATTI mode and still had no control of the phantom so I shut off the controller hoping it would return home. Nope it just kept going flying wildly out of control. I watched it until it faded away in the distance. Talk about a sick feeling ! Well, Others that have lost their phantom know how I felt. Not only sick to the stomach but scared to death it would hit someone or cause an accident. Anyway, I sepnt 2 weeks searching for it with no luck. Yes it had a Hero 3 attached and wifi was off. So yesterday I get a call from the secretary at work, She told me she got a call and someone asked her if anyone there had lost a drone. Yippi! She gave me the guys number and after the phone call I went and picked it up. It was found by a farmer in a corn field. 2 months in the field and the GoPro not in a water proof housing survived. The Phantom looked to be in great condition too. I brought it home and took the shell off. To my suprise it was dry inside and all looked good. I put it back together then tried charging the battery. It would not charge so I threw it in the trash. I grabbed my spare fully charged battery and headed out the door . This time I tied a string to the phantom for the after crash test flight. I took it up about 15 feet and tried to hover . It was extremely hard to control. I did manage to land it. Now! Not PILOT ERROR ! This thing is defective . How do I know ? When I lost it I purchased another one and it flies great . I have no problems with it and have never had a crash . YET! So what in the hell is wrong with this thing? It just goes wild ! Check out the video .. All comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8gxH40 ... FFmkUWsPaQ

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XSuG2IGPrE&index=2&list=UUhO7hFq9BFxJ3FFmkUWsPaQ[/youtube]

The first thing I would do is hook it up to Naza assist on your PC and look at all the settings.

Although it SHOULDN'T be by default it looks very much like it may be in manual mode (although flipping your GPS/Atti switch should change that). At least with it hooked up to the Naza assist you will be able to confirm that all switches are doing what they are supposed to do!

You will also be able to confirm that your compass mod values are within correct ranges as well as gyroscope and accelerometer values. Additionally you should check stick calibration and do an advances IMU calibration at the very least !.... It's been in the wars.

If all values check out OK (after calibrating) and your stick and switch inputs are being reflected correctly within the Naza assist I would then look at making sure all four motors are turning freely and with the same amount of resistance. Check none of them are grinding or sticking. Also make certain that you have not lost a e clip off one of the motors (some Phantoms have been known to be missing one straight out the box!)

That should keep you going for a bit... report back when you have checked over the above.

Thank you for the suggestions .. Yes it does act like it is possibly in manual mode.. I checked the sticks and switches in the Naza assistant. They all appear to be working properly.. I recalibrated everything several times. The compass values appear to be within range.. This really has me stumped . I have the shell off of it now and I'm looking for any loose connections or obvious signs of problems ..

Regarding the motors .. M3 does look like it may be running slower than the others at idle but I'm not sure . I even asked my wife and after staring at it for several minutes she said if it's anyone, it's M3 .. It is just really hard to tell. Not much of a noticeable difference ..

Thanks again for the reply and suggestions ..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj