Fly sideways? Lens 90 degree to flight path.

Reaction score
I want to film the side of a Mississippi River bridge from one shore to the other. Since the lens must be pointed perpendicular to the direction of flight, what is the best way to film this?

I don't think there is any way to do it but to fly sideways manually with the remote controller. My fear is loss of signal as the bridge in Natchez is 1.2 miles long. I have Litchi but I don't know of a way to do it with that app either.

Any ideas?

I want to film the side of a Mississippi River bridge from one shore to the other. Since the lens must be pointed perpendicular to the direction of flight, what is the best way to film this?

I don't think there is any way to do it but to fly sideways manually with the remote controller. My fear is loss of signal as the bridge in Natchez is 1.2 miles long. I have Litchi but I don't know of a way to do it with that app either.

Any ideas?
Try course lock

Reactions: konidair
I am curious too as i am planning something similar.

Thank you for that. It.certainly gets me started. I was hoping to find some way to do this autonomously in case signal is loss and it would return to home.

I appreciate it.

perfect. Will have to try that.

Thank you for that. It.certainly gets me started. I was hoping to find some way to do this autonomously in case signal is loss and it would return to home.

I appreciate it.
litchi or autopilot will do that autonomously.

I haven't played with Autopilot but I do a lot with Litchi. I know it has many landing options but where do you set course lock?

that is too bad you are not willing to try with autopilot. The zip line feature is exactly what you need, ehh oh well.

I haven't played with Autopilot but I do a lot with Litchi. I know it has many landing options but where do you set course lock?

Flip the switch on the controller to the left (forgot the letter), it will open a menu on your tablet or phone in dji go app and you can set corse lock

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Any ideas?

Can't you simply set the WPs and POIs to be focused on and set the WP path parellel to th bridge?

I do this same thing all the time when flying the lake shoreline and videoing inside the treeline as I go.

Mission Planner in FPV Camera app will do it as well. If signal is lost, aircraft will complete the mission and then RTH.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

they way I do it is with waypoints. on a waypoint setting, you can specify the heading you want the quadcopter to face while flying to the next waypoint.

Just a followup. I went to the bridge with all the good ideas but ran into one I had not counted on. There is so many tons of steel in those twin spans that I could not get the compass to calibrate even from 400' away so you can understand my reluctance to set up an autonomous flight. It will have to wait for another day while I rethink this.

I wonder why they don't have that Zipline mission in the Go app. Seems like it would be common. I may end up buying Autopilot if it will simplify the process if I can't get my current Litchi or DJI Go app to do this smoothly. I can't buy them all.

I did some freestyle flight instead. I also noticed a lot of sudden and momentary dipping/tilting/yaw wobble on my P4 even though there was little wind. I'm not sure what to make of that.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1461351535.113638.jpg

Last edited:
Using GS set up a mission that runs parallel to the bridge. Set the Heading Mode to User Controlled. As the drone flys along its path, use the controller to rotate the phantom towards the bridge and change the camera angle as desired.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl