Fly phantom 3 over Mardi Gras parade

Great idea to wait.
When I fly at night. I keep my Red lights off, Fly higher then during the day, and mostly take pictures. There's more dynamic range in picture mode then video mode. With just the green lights on moving through the sky, it looks like a shooting star. Not much to see. Turn red lights back on if you need more visual to land.

Attachments

• skyline-2.JPG
    skyline-2.JPG
    654.5 KB · Views: 311
Cool idea [emoji106]. That's another rule in the UK, we can't fly at night [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My .02 cents, (albeit could start a completely separate thread)' asking for permission does not always work as well as asking for forgiveness. With the media stories coving drone incidents here and there, I am experiencing that the knee jerk response to our requests is "NO DRONES!", even when they are wrong or have no legal basis for their response. Follow the rules and law, you likely already know more on the subject than the "knee jerkers" (new made up word).

That being said, I would use a way point method for the flight path and rehearse it during the day. This will ensure you have taken into account all fixed objects, planned an exit route and have a reasonable assurance of a safe flight and the return of your bird. Spectators that see it fly during the day may also be the same persons on site at night, thus establishing a familiarity of seeing you bird in the area. Lastly, if all goes bad, your efforts would at minimal, demonstrate a planned and calculated effort to have the safety and concern of all at the forefront. Then if asked, a response of, "I flew this same path earlier (in full view during daylight) with no issues from spectators or authorities" is true.

Good flying.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Looks like someone Has already done before albeit this is with a p2 and go pro nice footage

my queston to you is why not pick a spot and hover - pp3 hovers great and film the parade passing your drone by. again asking parade committee. you may even get paid jobs from it.

my queston to you is why not pick a spot and hover - pp3 hovers great and film the parade passing your drone by. again asking parade committee. you may even get paid jobs from it.

That's actually the plan . Those videos were not mines and if/when I do this , I won't be flying right thru the crowd and st

Thinking I should go get footage of the Mardi Gras parade here in Houma , la. But it's a night parade. Might not come out as expected
Last summer a pilot with his 333 exemption (I only mention this because I assume if you have your exemption, you also have some experience flying, and are not a newbie flying out of the box) decided to fly over the Pride Parade here in Seattle.
He lost control, hit a woman in the crowd and knocked her unconscious. He was fined a couple of grand for reckless endangerment.

I think this should be your biggest consideration.

Edit: After reading the entire thread, I believe you do consider safety - staying over water and not the crowds. You never know what can go wrong despite your skill level. And please, fly sober...lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: LamboH
i agree sound like your taking the responsible approach (kudo's) in all thing we do there is inherent risk. i would make sure you have all your firmware and controller updates installed before and run a test flight over the actual area before the parade to make sure you don't loose FMV or any building is not using wifi blockers you may not know about. and i iwould make sure you have permission- it doesn't hurt to ask ahead of time/ May save a world of hurt.

****! You were way up there.. Makes it hard to see the floats!
emoji39.png

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yea didn't wanna chance it. too many ppl my nerves were shot after all that. Surprisingly had a good but of interference and had to calibrate my compass 3/4 times. I know cell and data coverage gets spotty when u have this many ppl in one given spot( I thought maybe someone was jamming my gps like another poster mentioned ) took extra 10 min but got it calibrated

recommend ND 16 filter and lower your kelvin to 4800. Very bleached out. I would have not been so high either .

What settings are you using, I flew at dusk just to see how the skyline looked using the same settings I use during the day and the video looks like garbage, very grainy with my P3P

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj