Fly P3S without Gimbal/Camera and without legs (or with retractable Legs)

Reaction score
Well I was going to do this with my Phantom 2 V+ V3 but since the Phantom 3 Standard is so cheap I decided to get one and add it to my growing fleet of Phantoms. (Also have a Phantom 3 Pro but don't want to mess with or mod it, yet)

I need to be able to fly without the Gimbal and camera and without landing gear/legs or with a way to mod retractable legs. Does anyone know how best to remount the compass and antennas for the Phantom 3 Standard.and not have issues flying?

As to why I want to do this see this link. I want to do this with a Phantom and not the 3DR Solo. I asked this question earlier for the Phantom 2 but the 3 is quite a bit different.

Thanks.

Retractable leg kit would solve the landing gear, compass and antennae problems, have ideas about the camera but not sure so I won't 'guess'.

I have seen a video of a P3S flying without the camera so I do not think that would be an issue. Just need to be able to fly with my Kodak SP360 4K cameras on top and on the bottom. and on obstructed view.

Again, guessing but camera below should be doable. On top might be a stability problems but what the heck, if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly LOL

Again, guessing but camera below should be doable. On top might be a stability problems but what the heck, if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly LOL

That's why I got the P3S to mess with. My Pro is too Precious to me!!!

There shouldn't be any stability issues but I will soon find out.

For the software to balance something hanging is relatively easy, on top is a bit more difficult. Let me know, I'm curious now

Remember, "here, hold my beer" or "hey Ya'll, watch this" are often the start of historic adventures.

There shouldn't be any stability issues but I will soon find out.

Agree ... by adding the mass above AND below the center of gravity (CG) you keep the CG more less intact. If you must, install the mass below a bit lower to lower the CG even more. I know ... that does not help with the landing gear ... sorry no idea (yet?).

The hand assisted takeoff should not be an issue, but the catching on landing seems out of question as there is not going to be much to catch without the landing gear.

How about raised launch platform with round opening in the center. The opening should be as big as possible but small enough so the drone's two arms cannot fall in it simultaneously. The drone's payload and underbelly would sink into the hole while drone's arms would rest on the launch pad. How are your precision landing skills?

BIG pillow, CSC from a foot up. But retractable landing gear kit should take care of it.

Skills are quite good. Thinking about a soft foam pad and flying with prop guards and just let it settle on landing. Take off can be from a structured frame. The 4K 360 camera has replaceable lens covers so that's a plus. I have an extra set of landing gear. May chop a couple inches off and make them stubby gear.

Yeah, might have to cobble something up, but doable

Good morning ...

The prop guards are the must indeed if you decide to use drone's arms as the landing gear.

You might want to look for a set that has a hub (or click in base) that extends even beyond the four motor screws, to the next two. That will provide some additional strength to the shell structure that seems to be a bit too week as designed by DJI (cracking near and around screw holes). A some sort of skids under the arms is another option.

This will not protect the drone in case of emergency or self landing, but neither the retractable landing gear unless it is controlled by some sophisticated logic based on flight parameters.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm flying a standard without the gimbal/camera and integrated the 2.4Ghz transmitter from the gimbal inside the phantom to keep telemetry working. When you need more details, let me know.

I'm flying a standard without the gimbal/camera and integrated the 2.4Ghz transmitter from the gimbal inside the phantom to keep telemetry working. When you need more details, let me know.
How did you get this? I need to fly my P3S on telemetry without gimbal. Could you please give me a hand with this?

Getting late. Will post picks here as I go.

Thanks for the input and interest.
Keep in Mind 2 Things.... 1: the GPS antenna in in the top Center of the Drone Body and Covered from Interference by a Mesh Shield... 2: Under Slung Load, form a Triangle, with the Weight acting like a Pendulum, witch is Easy to Control... Compared to a Top Heavy Load, Like Balancing a Pencil On Your Finger Tip... Or the Same Problem you have With Rockets... Taking off Vertically ...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub