Fly Off

Reaction score
I had fun till today. Another flight in the backyard, got all GPS Sats, took off to get home lock and it took off like a rocket. It went way higher than I flew. Shut it off, came over the house but didn't wanna come down. Turned on hoping to get control but no luck. Almost 2 minutes later, started coming down. Got about 10 feet then crashed to the side of my house. I was shaking tike a leaf. I don't need a law suit against me. Never had this problem. I fly in my back yard. I wonder what caused this. Now I really feel like Ted Striker... OK, Beer Oclock.

Mike

Well, I think you take off a few feet, let it hover to get home lock. I took off and just kept going. No control.

Thanks.

You don't take off to set home point you wait for the SECOND set of fast green flashes, indicating home point has been set.

You should wait and get home point wile craft siting on the ground ,and I think what happened was the craft sat home point prox. 10 ft. in the air ,and that why it dropped from the same hight while descending . Hope someone would confirm this theory.

I always take off and stay and hover for a few seconds. I must have got home lock before I take off. I am never in a hurry. I want to know why it took off to about 1000 ft. or more, and no control. I don't like that.

Ted Striker said:
I always take off and stay and hover for a few seconds. I must have got home lock before I take off. I am never in a hurry. I want to know why it took off to about 1000 ft. or more, and no control. I don't like that.

Sounds like it reached a limit that is set in the Asst software. Clearly the Phantom was not communicating with the TX, and interference of some type could cause that. I would avoid flying in that spot again until you sort it out.

Thanks. I am thinking the battery's were getting low, maybe. Only maybe 30 flights. Is it ok to use rechargeable battery's? Won't the TX tell me the battery's are low?

I think there is low battery warning on the radio . I change batteries frequently and I am using Duracell or energizer brand , but you can use any brand and or rechargeable .
I would suggest to do advanced IMU calibration, record number values before and after,(I always take screene shot for my log book);
calibrate compas and take time before taking off . Usually when flying from new location or didn't use craft for while ,I start the craft follow the check list ,ones the home lock is set and green lights are on I shut it off and restart again . I thing it would give me extra security. Sometimes when using my cell phone GPS map and it straggles to locate the area , by turning the phone off and restart , it has no problem to lock the area right away.

Tanks Paul K. I did the Advanced calibration. Every thing was good except the compass. I don't know how that was way off. Mod was 2345.0. With a magnet, I got it down to 1700.0. I will try a flight tomorrow morning. Was too breezy today. Not going to try the backyard tomorrow.. Thanks for the help.

Ok Paul K. I did the IMU Advanced Calibration and compass. A couple weeks ago, I took it to a open spot. Close to the collage. It took off again. I turned off the controller and it came down and made a perfect landing, same spot. I hooked it up to the lap top and every thing was in spec. I did the upgrade for the Phantom and the controller. Last week I went back same place. Got all green lights then I did a compass calibration then powered it down. I tried again, all green lights and sat about two minuets then I took off. It went up about 100 Ft and hover. Alright... I was in control. Nope. It took off by it self. It flew about 30 yards and crashed in the grass. I took out the battery and sat. I did it again. It flew good, hover and what I told it to. Hover was not as stable as before.
I am wondering if the collage has a strong WiFi? Collage was shut down for summer and maybe my first fly off was because they are getting ready for classes. My house is only one block away. Hard to find another place to fly with out power lines, private property and water. I am bummed. Maybe I should shoot it.

Thanks.

You can "fix" your Phantom by reading your manual a bit more. Information is power. Not only does a good knowledge of how to fly your Phantom (and prepare it for flight) improve your experience, but it also improves your confidence.

Thanks for the info, but Yes I did read the manual. I was flying fine till the problem. Good knowledge on your part you can read a post better.

Hi Ted, Sorry to hear about your problems but I thought I was kinda of hearing some information that might explain what happened.

Although you do not think it is you compass as the problem, you did indicate that you went for a drive with your quad prior to the fly away event. It is reported in those manuals that you have read that speakers in a car are a know issue to make the compass have an error. You report that your compass value on the computer was way off of the desired setting, and that you got it to about 1700. If I was you I would take a really close look at the compass on the leg, pull the wires out and reseat the cable. Look for any damage or MOVEMENT of that little compass on the leg.

good luck, and don't be afraid to work further on your calibration, I like it to be below 1650, then I feel good.

Thanks Wedeliver,
When I go some place, I knew about the speakers. I put it in the middle of the back seat of my truck, keeping it away as far from the speakers. I checked it on the computer today. Gyroscope Mod 0.7 Acceleration Mod 1.0 Compass Mod 1558
I took it 2 times in the truck. It flew perfect many times at home before the fly away. Humm. Thanks.

Ted Striker said:
Thanks Wedeliver,
When I go some place, I knew about the speakers. I put it in the middle of the back seat of my truck, keeping it away as far from the speakers. I checked it on the computer today. Gyroscope Mod 0.7 Acceleration Mod 1.0 Compass Mod 1558
I took it 2 times in the truck. It flew perfect many times at home before the fly away. Humm. Thanks.

I am sure you are very careful now but what about what led up to your flyaway. It would be nice to think you did something wrong otherwise it scares me to fly. thanks for your sharing and iam guessing that everything is working fine now.

I am careful now and before it happened. I never rush. I did nothing wrong. I still want to know why. I don't want to hurt somebody. I am not the only one had a Fly Away. I think DJI should look at this.

Ted Striker said:
Thanks Wedeliver,

Try doing an advanced IMU calibration on a perfectly flat surface - according to your #s above Gyro mod is too high. It should be 0.0 - 0.1

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj