fly aways

Reaction score
After reading all the storys about fly aways. what do you all think the reasons are for these mishaps? and what can 1 do to put the odds in his or her favor of this not happening?

A fly away is the excuse when the pilot does not understand what happened. Here are some things you can do in order to help prevent this from happening to you:
  • Read the Phantom manual (over and over until you understand it)
  • Search and/or ask questions here if you don't understand something in the Phantom manual
  • Explore DJI GO and ensure you understand its features and how to configure them properly
  • Do pre-flight checks to ensure your DJI GO settings are configured properly (e.g. the RTH altitude) and check that your Phantom is not damaged

After reading all the storys about fly aways. what do you all think the reasons are for these mishaps? and what can 1 do to put the odds in his or her favor of this not happening?

if you are reading about them , you will find that most described "flyaways" are operator error
or misunderstanding of how features work.

The Phantom is ready to fly out of box,
unfortunately many users are not ready to fly.....when they try to fly

Not to say it doesn't happen, it does,
but not as much as one would think by just glancing at post titles.

in fact many are simply the same as yours---
JUST ASKING about the dreaded flyaway.

how not to have one, read, watch videos start slow and learn to fly it in open area
BEFORE
you try all the auto gimmics features.
take time to learn the little things....

good luck and have fun flying!

Reactions: Pharm
And, learn to fly in ATT mode. I thought I was quite competent in ATT, until last night, there was a mild wind, or breeze at home point, flew for 10 minutes & then, with bird at 40m.just above to my right, switched to ATT, OMG! I thought I had the dreaded Fly-away! She veered left at a hi rate of speed & It took all I knew to stablilze, heading her back to me I was at 3/4 throttle & fighting against left turns, real eye opener for me,
After landing I was soaked & breathing like a marathon jogger!
I can understand, why a UAV-er with limited fly time, could think they are expierencing a Flyway

Reactions: kirk2579
And, learn to fly in ATT mode. I thought I was quite competent in ATT, until last night, there was a mild wind, or breeze at home point, flew for 10 minutes & then, with bird at 40m.just above to my right, switched to ATT, OMG! I thought I had the dreaded Fly-away! She veered left at a hi rate of speed & It took all I knew to stablilze, heading her back to me I was at 3/4 throttle & fighting against left turns, real eye opener for me,
After landing I was soaked & breathing like a marathon jogger!
I can understand, why a UAV-er with limited fly time, could think they are expierencing a Flyway
I had a similar experience but I just flipped the switch back to P-GPS mode and all was well.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
As mentioned above, the P3 is remarkably free of genuine flyaways.
Before the P3 series there was no way to know what caused many post Phantoms and the myth of the flyaway began.
Withe the P3, you got a flight record stored in the app like a blcak box data recorder.
That allowed incident investigation to show what really happened and most cases turned out to be user error or confusion.
Read this to get a more balanced idea of the flyaway myth :Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Drone Flyers

Before the P3 series there was no way to know what caused many post Phantoms and the myth of the flyaway began.
And, sadly, it seems we're heading back to those times since DJI has a recent desire to encrypt all of the flight logs :(

And, sadly, it seems we're heading back to those times since DJI has a recent desire to encrypt all of the flight logs :(
Yes .. it's a big step backwards.
Being able to look at your own flight records you could learn a lot.
A lot of lost Phantoms were found and the causes of incidents could be identified which saved DJI from the accusation of Phantom flyaways.
I think keeping things transparent had to be better for DJI than locking up flight data.

I think keeping things transparent had to be better for DJI than locking up flight data.
I emailed them about this and they said they don't want anyone but their data analysis team to be able to view the logs.

I emailed them about this and they said they don't want anyone but their data analysis team to be able to view the logs.
Hmm ... I'd hoped that wasn't the case, I can't see how it benefits them.
Was there anything visible in the flight records that could have given competitors insight into their systems?
HealthyDrones can still read the data so their secret isn't secure.

The Go App now has a "Export csv" option that's basically useless. There is a column that contains both the latitude and longitude; they would have to be separated. I've asked DJI development if they plan to improve this. So far, no response. Maybe this will be their answer to the question of allowing access to to flight logs. The expression "like taking a shower with your raincoat on" comes to mind.

Was there anything visible in the flight records that could have given competitors insight into their systems?
I don't think so. I have a feeling that DJI might not want customers to know that much information about their crashes. Perhaps it's somehow costing DJI a lot of money.

HealthyDrones can still read the data so their secret isn't secure.
A few members here have reached out to @EranSteiner (the developer of Healthy Drones), but he decided to ignore us for some reason. Whatever he has done to get around the new log encryption has not been approved by DJI. I have a feeling that Healthy Drones won't be around for too much longer, so everyone should enjoy it while it lasts.

I don't think so. I have a feeling that DJI might not want customers to know that much information about their crashes. Perhaps it's somehow costing DJI a lot of money.
That seems quite misguided of them.
Having user readable flight data should have been a good selling point and it was the only counter to the ever-popular Phantoms fly away myth that will proliferate even more now.
If people can't see the evidence for themselves, it's very easy to dismiss DJI's assessment if it's not in your favour.

This "scrambling" by DJI just gives them the last word on why things went wrong & no one else any chance to argue with their findings, what a step backwards, Shame on you DJI!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4