Fly aways???

Reaction score
How often does this really happen? From the few F/B pages I've seen, you would think it happens all the time... I am a bit skeptical on doing high or long flights, because of this reason. But then you see videos of people going super high and/or really far. Just wondering if I am worrying over nothing...

Thank you...

I wouldn't say it's nothing, persay. It does happen... but not often, relative to how many flights Phantoms and their pilots have taken as a whole.

You don't mention what platform you're flying yourself, but there's a great sticky in the Vision forum that talks about fly-aways and how to prevent them and how to recover from them if they do happen.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4938

In general, the large majority of fly-aways can be attributed to pilot error, either during maintenance (clean those data pins!), pre-flight (wait for that GPS lock!!) or standard flight ("what's this switch do again??"). There's still that little chance that something will happen, even if you do everything right, but you have to learn to not let it bother you. Just go out and fly!

Thanks for posting in green, very kind of you. I almost felt I was in an Irish forum ;)
Flyaways shmyaways. 99% are new pilot error.

Hi guys... i have just registered on this forum so... hi to all! I'm in the same situation of the OP... i'm very scared of all the flyaway videos and reports that are all around the web. In my case, i'm even more scared because i'm new and all my flights take place in a very wide open area about in the center of a big city. So... i'm very scared that my phantom may flayaway heading toward the city and crash landing on some people's car or even worst on some children...

Are there anyone that flyes in a similar environmet? Am worrying too much?

(Sorry for the bad english...)

Thanks for the reply... i have seen the non-scientific poll but i needed to read someone tell me that i'm warrying too much... :D

Thanks again... ;)

Ditto.

Bear in mind any non-tethered remote controlled or operated system [especially] has the possibility of unintentional operation or loss of partial or total control.

On top of that is the probability of failure be it components, equipment, workmanship, operator, etc.

Be real... There's always going to be a chance for loss so do be prepared but don't dwell or you'll never enjoy it.

Just as can occur with other systems/products like, say, automobiles.

You drive your car, despite the relatively small risk that something will go wrong that might cause "loss of partial or total control".
You don't dwell on it.

Same with flying your Phantom.

I started to catch on when I was looking all of the custom paint jobs members had done on their Phantoms, and the thought occurred to me that the owners seemed to be in possession of their quads for a very long time. I've read supposed fly-away threads where it was clear the Phantom was being flown in what must have been 30-40MPH wind, and much to the surprise of the new owner it flew away, but a better description would be blew away.

There is always a chance something could go wrong, but don't do stupid **** and you'll greatly reduce the risk. Now go out and relax and enjoy some flying...and may the odds be ever in your favor. ;)

I was worried too but about the auto landing/battery problem - again - I get the sense that it's a fairly low probability thing... but forums tend to explode with this stuff because, let's be honest, it's the first thing I would do if I experienced an problems (see if others were experiencing the same thing).

The one that seemed to be really prolific and a systemic problem was the Magnetic Declination issue that turned out to be firmware.

Just be aware that these things can happen, but don't let it ruin your day :)

Many many thanks to all! Now i think that a very very small part of the flyaways was really caused by a problem on the phantom. I think the majority of the reported flyaways is caused by user inexperience or stupid behavior.

Just like what happen with cars...

Am i right?

FreeFlyer said:
I think the majority of the reported flyaways is caused by user inexperience or stupid behavior.

Exactly. Though, I have a feeling that most of the "stupid behavior" actually occurs during pre-flight; not waiting for a full GPS lock (or only locking onto <6 satellites), not waiting for a home position lock, taking off in ATTI mode, not periodically cleaning the batteries data pins (for P2's), not properly calibrating the compass (or calibrating in an unsuitable location), not calibrating the IMU, not insuring adequate battery charge...

It's not necessarily that pilots who experience fly-aways are flying stupid, typically... it begins long before they're even in the air.

Greyfox51 said:
For those who are interested, here is a link to a poll that was published elsewhere. The results make for some interesting reading.

Apologise in advance if this has been posted here already.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1R4MaX8 ... rm_confirm

It's a pretty small sample, but the one thing that stood out for me was that the majority of fly-aways were reported by pilots with less than 25 flights, and that's gels with what is being said here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20