fly aways..p-2 vs. vision+

Reaction score
just out of curiosity does anyone know if there is any difference in reliability between the phantom 2 and the vision+?
my p-2 is dead due to yet another fly away and i am wondering if these have the exact same issues.
i am guessing most of the components are the same and there is no diff.
i want to do mainly stills but also high quality video and i have heard the vision plus is better for stills than using a go pro but not as good for video.
i am looking to do pro level video along with the stills. i have a hero 3 silver and the video is decent but not spectacular.

Please tell a little more about the exact issues that resulted in your fly away.

Apart from battery, body, motors, props and some i forget the 2 are identical.
RC isn't !
Software isn't ! ( wild guess )
Wifi video isn't !

As clipper asked, clear up pls what you mean with " fly away " ?

The incidents described as flyaways are caused by a range of issues, unfamiliarity with Phantom features and pilot error being the most common. Actual programming and hardware errors are probably responsible for the smallest number
It's probably impossible to try to try to investigate any difference in incidence for P2/P2+ because it's just too difficult to determine the real cause.

My.guess.is it.lost.gps.lock.and.started.searching.even.with.all.green lights.
I.have.read.that.the.signal.can.go.down.a.couple.of.sats.after.the.camera.is.turned.on.
.I.am.thinking.of.getting.a.vision.plus.so.I.can.keep.tabs.on.the.sat.links.
The.day.befor my.fatal.crash I.went.to.5.spots.and.could.not.get.a.lock.
I.went.home.and.checked.the.compass and.it.was.in.spec.
Then.after.reading.a.post.I.tapped on.the.compass.and tried.right.near.my.house.and.it.got.the.nose.down lock fine.
...The.next.day is.when I.tried.again a mile.away.and.it.fly.into.the.tree.

Not all sats are geosynchronous. This means that you get good sat lock at some times and insufficient sats at other times.

Check http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/ before you go and fly. It's very accurate. My area is great in the morning (up to 12 satellites), but not so good in the afternoon (Just 6-8). When I flew in the afternoon, I see the sats on my display toggle between 6 and 8, at times momentarily graying out to 5! I now no longer fly in the afternoon - too risky.

singapore_phantom said:
Not all sats are geosynchronous. This means that you get good sat lock at some times and insufficient sats at other times.

Check http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/ before you go and fly. It's very accurate. My area is great in the morning (up to 12 satellites), but not so good in the afternoon (Just 6-8). When I flew in the afternoon, I see the sats on my display toggle between 6 and 8, at times momentarily graying out to 5! I now no longer fly in the afternoon - too risky.
i wish i had this info before..i checked it out and it showed my area as having 5-6 and ranging to 10-12 most of the day.
great info. i will check this before i fly. i am going to look for a phone app of some sort also.

thumpinhard said:
singapore_phantom said:

i wish i had this info before..i checked it out and it showed my area as having 5-6 and ranging to 10-12 most of the day.
great info. i will check this before i fly. i am going to look for a phone app of some sort also.

btw..i tried this program with different altitudes. i am missing something here as when i did the default of 10 ft. it looked ok..but at 45 ft. which is about 3 ft. above what google earth says my house is at the sats were way worse..like from ave. 10 to ave. 5..wussup with that?

If you haven't done the foil mod you should.
It fixes the sats dropping when videoing issue.
I used to wait around for 5-6 sats but now it's usually 10+ when I power up.
I've had as many as 16 up in the air.

Meta4 said:
If you haven't done the foil mod you should.
It fixes the sats dropping when videoing issue.
I used to wait around for 5-6 sats but now it's usually 10+ when I power up.
I've had as many as 16 up in the air.

that is good to hear. i am considering getting a vision plus this time and that is what i will do before i even fly it.
thanks for letting e know your success with the mod.
i can't believe dji has not done that from the factory..duuuh!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4