Fly away

Reaction score
So reading on this subject I think that happened to me. When it happened, I thought it was the wind, panicked and switched off the TX. The "Going Home" kicked in and it came back. But what a ride. As you can see in this video, this is not they way GPS enabled flight is supposed to go home.

Mind you I had no control over the thing during any of this clip.

If you look carefully you can see us on the path below and the "Home" point was the man hole cover in the path. As the copter finally found home, it stabilizes and makes a perfect landing, but I am sure glad there was NOTHING around or this trip home would not have ended well.

Tell me, does this qualify as a fly away? Scared the crap out of me as I thought it was a goner.

Also gave me the great idea of writing my name, address and phone number on the side with a sharpie...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOgED_6Jp8Q[/youtube]

did it upload properly? I'm getting a message that "this video is currently being processed"

Tho I'd say most flyaways end with the Phantom flying away into the unknown at a fairly high rate of speed.
No two are alike it seems, however it arguably might not be considered a classic Flyaway when the craft pulls off a perfect RTH and land.
until I can see the video, my guess would be you might have had some Tx problems.

yes, you absolutely want to write your contact info on your Phantom in case of a loss.
I found that a sharpie doesn't quite hold up well over time , and looks a bit unprofessional.

What I did was printed out my info on paper, cut the small section out, and then used wide clear packing tape to attach it to the top of my Phantom, just like i would a parcel. It's nearly waterproof and won't ever rub off.

Yeah, I'm getting a video unavailable error. I'd like to see it, though, OP. Kindly re-upload/re-post it.

PF

I also couldn't see your video.

Was compass calibrated near the manhole cover? They usually are a substantial piece of steel which may have throw off your initial compass calibration.

I used a label maker to put "Reward and my phone number" on top of Vision but it is starting to peel a little, used old tape.

Gizmo3000 said:
did it upload properly? I'm getting a message that "this video is currently being processed"

Tho I'd say most flyaways end with the Phantom flying away into the unknown at a fairly high rate of speed.
No two are alike it seems, however it arguably might not be considered a classic Flyaway when the craft pulls off a perfect RTH and land.
until I can see the video, my guess would be you might have had some Tx problems.

yes, you absolutely want to write your contact info on your Phantom in case of a loss.
I found that a sharpie doesn't quite hold up well over time , and looks a bit unprofessional.

What I did was printed out my info on paper, cut the small section out, and then used wide clear packing tape to attach it to the top of my Phantom, just like i would a parcel. It's nearly waterproof and won't ever rub off.

I used a "Brother P-Touch" and used small text. Very small footprint, also waterproof and not liable to come off. I put my name and cell number on it and placed it right on the little bulge of the battery bay, on top. I sincerely hope it's never read by a stranger...

-slinger

In a "classic" Phantom V1 flyaway then initiating RTH reportedly has no effect whatsoever. The initial part of the clip looks a bit like "toilet bowl effect" which is symptomatic of compass out of calibration.

Might be worth hooking up the Assistant software and checking the IMU calibration data to see if everything is within limits and taking it from there.

I think AHill has the right idea. Compasses will experience a strong deviation around heavy metal objects like a manhole cover. I also recommend you recalibrate away from large metal objects.

gunslinger said:
Gizmo3000 said:
I used a "Brother P-Touch" and used small text. Very small footprint, also waterproof and not liable to come off. I put my name and cell number on it and placed it right on the little bulge of the battery bay, on top. I sincerely hope it's never read by a stranger...

-slinger

Not really sure if I want my name and number on the Phantom. With my luck it would take off "again" and I would get a call from someone saying are you the guy who caused me to crash my car :lol:

I've had those same thoughts and concerns. Guess I'm going to have to renew my AMA membership and avail myself of their insurance.

Edit: Just did so using Paypal. $58.00 annually for 2.5 million in coverage and a monthly magazine. Not bad.

PF

myvrodrocks said:
I copied the youtube link as the video was loading. Should be fine now.

Out of curiosity... How smooth was the autolanding? Did GPS keep it coming smoothly straight down? How hard was the ground impact?

Thanks...
-slinger

I have a label on the top of mine that says "Reward if returned" and my mobile number. I also have £5 million of public liability insurance through fpvuk.org

The latter costs me less than 2% of the price I paid for a P2V each year and seems like a no-brainer to me if my aircraft damages something or someone. The former just makes me feel slightly better!

You sir, are a wise man indeed! Everyone should be so responsible! Kudos.

PF

Yeah, my label offers a reward too....

A friend of mine lost an ardrone to a fly away, got it back as the reward label got the guy that found it's attention... After chatting a while, the guy refused to take a reward, but went out and bought a quad himself!!

I get insurance via a flier's organisation membership too... Hey, and a glossy magazine too! :D

Yea...regarding the manhole cover. It did want a calibration and it failed the first time. The 2nd time I stood up and walked into the grass. That time it worked. But I still took off front eh cover. It is metal but lined in concrete...

As someone else already suggested, that manhole cover was probably what confused your compass. Unless there is an iron meteorite buried in the soil, it's probably best to take off from the grass. :lol:

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20