Fly Away

wju

Reaction score
Bought the Phantom 2 vision plus couple of months ago everything was great til 3 weeks ago I downloaded new firmware took it out the next day and had a near fly away but was able to regain control. Called A dealer that was on DJI'S list and sent it off. Got it back 3 days ago and took it out this morning. Did my previous check flight, turned everything on in order, calibrated compass, had 9 satellites everything was good to go. Took off, hovered about 10 ft for a few seconds and continued up. About 100 ft up it just took off, no control , no return home no nothing, it was gone. My wife and I rode around for about 1 1/2 hrs and by the grace of God found it in someone's driveway. The battery was about 30 ft away and pretty busted up so I know it hit hard. The body amazingly was intact, 2 rotors broken and camera was intact.
This was the same exact issue I sent it off 3 weeks ago for. They said they replaced a bunch of things and did a firmware update and test flew it. Did they do all of what they said ???
I know how to fly these things I have 2 others, 1 another DJI and no problems at all.
My question is this, it's still under warranty should I let them fix it or insist on A replacement.
Thx

I have exact same problem with my fc40, did it 2 times now. its a week old . i try software upgrade today and gonna test fly it later , if same problem i return it!

i watched some fly aways on youtube now. and ppl say on several videos power lines prob caused it , where it happend with me also power lines! ill try later a place free of that .

wju said:
Bought the Phantom 2 vision plus couple of months ago everything was great til 3 weeks ago I downloaded new firmware took it out the next day and had a near fly away but was able to regain control. Called A dealer that was on DJI'S list and sent it off. Got it back 3 days ago and took it out this morning. Did my previous check flight, turned everything on in order, calibrated compass, had 9 satellites everything was good to go. Took off, hovered about 10 ft for a few seconds and continued up. About 100 ft up it just took off, no control , no return home no nothing, it was gone. My wife and I rode around for about 1 1/2 hrs and by the grace of God found it in someone's driveway. The battery was about 30 ft away and pretty busted up so I know it hit hard. The body amazingly was intact, 2 rotors broken and camera was intact.
This was the same exact issue I sent it off 3 weeks ago for. They said they replaced a bunch of things and did a firmware update and test flew it. Did they do all of what they said ???
I know how to fly these things I have 2 others, 1 another DJI and no problems at all.
My question is this, it's still under warranty should I let them fix it or insist on A replacement.
Thx

Incidents such as these have been reported more often than one would expect for one reason or another. I hope you get this incident sorted out with DJI and are compensated in some fashion, either by repair or replacement.
Some have thought the issue had possibly been related to the installation of a newly released F/W update, while others have an altogether different set of circumstances which may or may not have influenced the outcome. Similar incidents such as unresponsive radio control, and spontaneous actions of the quad itself which either lead to some sort of crash, or out and out fly away appear to be a common result. Out of curiosity, which dealer had you sent your Phantom into for repair?.
In any regard, hopefully your camera which you had mentioned was still intact, has not sustained any internal damage.
If one may learn anything from incidents such as this, it very well may be to record any flights both by the Phantoms onboard camera and with a hand held recorder if at all possible, specifically upon initial testing of the quad after receiving it back from being serviced, regardless of who may have done the work. As previously mentioned, this may help provide additional evidence to substantiate the facts as presented. Best of luck.

Were the power lines small residential lines, the big scary high voltage carrier lines, or something in between?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1