Fly Away Nightmares

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm new here. I was looking around at other people's flyaway nightmares and I couldn't find a consolidated thread of Fly Aways so I thought I'd start one. Mods feel free to combine if one really exists.

I'll start with mine... its taken me a week to get over being a *******, but I'm ready to share.

I upgraded my P3S with an ITELITE DBS Mod and was pretty happy with it's first flight exceeding 3000' easily since I couldn't go past 2000' prior. On my second flight it was almost dusk and I rushed back from dinner out to get a flight in. It was thundering and lightening in the north but it looked well off in the distance. I took off from the beach and crossed 10,000 ft west from an island to the mainland and the wind started to pick up and it was getting dark. I turned around and headed back to home at just about 10,500'. The wind speed increased and it started to rain and my drone was at about 2500' from home. Going as fast as I could I had to direct it north into the wind to fly east toward home. At 1200' from home the wind was blowing the rain horizontal and I now had a drone heading south out to sea as I was full throttle to the north. I ran down the beach for about 1/4 mile until I lost visibility over the open ocean. I tried everything from increasing and decreasing altitude to avoid the wind... I watched the FPV footage as the lights from shore went dim and everything went black as the battery dropped to 0%

As I type this I have a new P3A running the software upgrade so I can head out tomorrow. This is tons of fun, though a little expensive if you act like a ******* and ignore the weather.

Reactions: Reed L
Flyaways are generally considered to be flights where the AC says "sayonara" for no apparent or immediately discernible reason. Your situation was not a flyaway, it was pilot error. As far as affirming your "dumbassery", I'll refrain from comment because I've done some pretty bone-headed things in my life, too. Seems like you've already learned some lessons as we all have. Thanks for sharing your tale of woe.

Reactions: Meta4
On my second flight it was almost dusk and I rushed back from dinner out to get a flight in. It was thundering and lightening in the north but it looked well off in the distance. I took off from the beach and crossed 10,000 ft west from an island to the mainland .......
No hint of a flyaway in that story.
Two miles out over the ocean, it's an unforgiving environment without adding strong winds into the mix.

Not a flyaway, but I enjoyed reading your story!
Sorry for the loss though.
It was like an action/suspense drone short story.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: cfd701
I'm sure you love flying phantoms. You would continue to enjoy if you are a bit more careful :)

My flyaway happened 1,200 ft. out when a compass error happened mid-air only a month after having an open box P3 pro.This was followed by the loss of my video feed and RC immediately. The compass error happened 4 times before, which was odd.
Dji gave me a 50% discount on a new AC, which I received 2 days ago. After this flyaway, and a month without my phantom, I've kind of lost interest in drones.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

... After this flyaway, and a month without my phantom, I've kind of lost interest in drones.

Hmmmm. Does that translate into "I think I'll give my new Phantom to Pharm" ?

I had a near flyaway once when I took off on a slightly windy day and got an immediate compass error and it went to Atti mode. It was quite a fight to get it back down on the ground as the wind kept changing direction and I had to keep bringing it back up to avoid trees. It was drifting everywhere and it took everything I had to keep it near me in sight. Finally the wind settled down just enough for me to bring it down quickly and land it on the grass.

I'm thinking I was too close to my car when I did the compass calibration because that was the only metal around me. Haven't had any problems since then but it's still scary to think that someday I could be way up there and have another compass error. I'm not very good with Atti mode lol.

I had a near flyaway once when I took off on a slightly windy day and got an immediate compass error and it went to Atti mode. It was quite a fight to get it back down on the ground as the wind kept changing direction and I had to keep bringing it back up to avoid trees. It was drifting everywhere and it took everything I had to keep it near me in sight. Finally the wind settled down just enough for me to bring it down quickly and land it on the grass.

I'm thinking I was too close to my car when I did the compass calibration because that was the only metal around me. Haven't had any problems since then but it's still scary to think that someday I could be way up there and have another compass error. I'm not very good with Atti mode lol.

Check out uav forecast app. It tells the wind speed at whatever altitude you set it to. I set it at 15 mph at 400 feet. I avoid flying in anything over that.

I got caught in a gust front with winds reaching 40 MPH gusts. I know that feeling. Felt like fishing, trying to reel her in. Set my speed record that day 75.6 MPH I think it was.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl