Fly away during ground station

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced a flyaway during a ground station mission? My P2+ and ipad2 broke connection and I have no idea how to locate it. It's always continued it's missions before and returned. This was at beginning and before 1st way point. I've only seen posts from people that were flying theirs and had it fly off. When there is a fly away do they just keep going or do they turn erradicly and random directions? My only thought is it caught a tree. It's winter and I've canvased the area searching in a line from take off til it broke connection. We have quite a bit of snow and it might b buried.

I've done maybe around 6-8 GS missions and haven't had a problem. My guess is you hit a tree. How high did you fly your mission?

you can use the "find my phantom" function in the settings area to see the last reported location...it may help you get in the right area.

If just your iPAD breaks connection, it's only the wifi (and telemetry) that you lost, but the mission should continue as long as you have the minimum satellite count for GPS. Sounds like it maybe took off with the bare minimum 6 satellites but then lost one and dropped into ATT mode. I never conduct a GS mission unless I have at least 9 sats as a safety net because sat count can easily fluctuate. A white Phantom on snow is certainly not going to be easy to spot -- one of the additional winter flying risks.

What is the min and max number of satellites ? Is it true that it goes in to ATTI mode with 5 satellites !?!? That is some scary s..t, it should continue to hold its position even with 3 satellites and not let the wind to throw it in another state !

It is better that it holds position in 10m circle with 3-4 satellites than go to ATTI mode and ride the wind.

98' was altitude. Again I used "find my phantom" but I believe it continued on mission. When connection was lost the flight plan was lost when I attempted to re-establish wifi connection. I had 8 satellites and had IMU and compass calibrated. I keep searching but alas there's a forecast of more snow. There's been a total count of 3-4 inches on 3 different days now. The day if flew off was clear cold and windless and the video will or was gonna be awesome . Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure why you think the flight plan was lost. The flight plan is loaded into the Phantom itself. It doesn't need a connection to fly waypoints. In fact, that's the cool thing about waypoints.

Sounds like you made a fatal error. 98 ft. is the default setting and I have no idea why the people in China decided 98 ft was a good default height. Around my house, 98 ft is suicide. The trees here are 120 ft.

I'm afraid to say it but it seems you should have increased the default height setting. I doubt it was a fly away. The good news is you know the flight path so if you work at it, maybe you'll get lucky and find it. Also, you might consider getting a Flytrex Live 3G. It's almost impossible to lose your drone with one of those.

Good luck finding it.

I meant the flight plan in the ipad that I programed the mission. I had it going in a star shape. 98' is plenty high enough as I've flown that altitude at same location many times. But if it flew off going in a straight line past the perimeter it would eventually encounter higher ground and it doesn't adhear to topagraphy. I took every precaution and wouldn't fly in an area where I couldn't clear trees

So again, does anyone know when you have a fly away does it just keep going in a straight line until battery is spent? It shouldn't fly past its "zone" as indicated on ground station but if it malfunctioned? I've read about other members stories of flyaway but details would be appriciated.

It depends on the fly away. It might go in a straight line and it might not, depending on why it's in a fly away condition.

You say your craft began its fly away before it reached its first waypoint. If that's true, then what mission does it have to continue? If it never reached its first waypoint, it sounds to me like it never began its mission. Right?

When I do waypoints, my first waypoint is very close to the launch so that I can establish the height it needs to be. That's because I have trees all around me.

I have to wonder whether your home point was properly recorded.

If you launched your P2+ with a home point that was recorded incorrectly, say 14 miles away, your aircraft would immediately fly home and you'd likely never see it again.

Good point. Now that you mention it ,it did go to its first way point. I to did the 1st waypoint close to establish height. I still had no luck locating it. Just when we had a few warm days and the snow started to melt we are having a nice little blizzard here in northeast Nebraska . So for now all I can do is fret and reflection. ##sigh### thanks for your help. I guess the only consistency is inconsistency .

Another note. When calibrating compass it would fail a few times before a successful one was completed.

Drone located! Stuck in a snowdrift 2 blocks from takeoff. Had to wait for the snow to melt. It was covered from the repeated snows. It's gonna need a little TLC. Gonna need new shell ,propellers, 1 motor. Camera still works. It was recording when it flew off but only shows it stopped , turned and then video stopped. No useful footage.

Reactions: jnshane and Suntana
Congrats!!
I think....
The cold climate may of affected battery and caused it to early land or you took off with less than 6 sats and it marked its new Home position in the air (where you found it).

Bought a damaged P2 vision barebones that was damaged and used it's shell and it flies again. just waiting for new drop kit for camera

Drone located! Stuck in a snowdrift 2 blocks from takeoff. Had to wait for the snow to melt. It was covered from the repeated snows. It's gonna need a little TLC. Gonna need new shell ,propellers, 1 motor. Camera still works. It was recording when it flew off but only shows it stopped , turned and then video stopped. No useful footage.

I don't understand this post as it recorded from time it left or it didn't. I for one would love to see the video recorded. we might learn something from this..... can you post in to it here?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik