Fly away crash - need advice on repairability

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Unfortunately I've had my first flyaway incident, and it culminated in a crash into trees at somewhere around 35-40 MPH according to the telemetry. I found the machine (DJI P2V+) - its battery was dislodged, and there is some damage to the landing gear hoops, camera, and props. I've taken some pics and I'm wondering if people can assess this and tell me if they think this thing is repairable.

The damage I've been able to find is:

- Two props broken
- Landing gear on one side broken - the leg that holds a connector joining to a 5-wire ribbon cable coming out of the body. The ribbon cable was pulled out of this connector.
- As mentioned the battery came out. I have tried both the battery that was in the crash and a spare battery and they both fit just fine, and power up the craft.
- Camera and gimbal appears to be pretty badly damaged. Gimbal broke away from the plate on the craft main body in 3 of 4 points. 3 Molex connectors disconnected from the plugs on the gimbal/camera body, one of them looks significantly damaged. Camera arm is bent and cracked open.

Photo album of the carnage: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I know props and landing gear and presumably the gimbal can be replaced. The wires coming out of the body - can they be swapped out? And more importantly, is this cost-efficient to repair or is it time for us (it's a fire department machine) to replace the entire craft?

Thanks in advance, folks.

Repairs are not hard,
All the wires are replaceable, camera will be your biggest worry.
In pic 3-4? That is your compass wire.
For now, I'd unhook the camera , all together, get bird flying again.
There are steps you can take, you'll need to open the craft, to look for it Nettie damage , 1st GPS MODULE, is it cracked ( ceramic antenna ) , next compass, fix wire, hook back up.
Next
Try to turn craft on, if starts up, hook to PC assistant, do advanced IMU calibration, then fresh compass calibration. Try to turn motors on.
Here we need to check ESC's and motors, might have a bad one, once bird is flying again, then start piecing camera back together, there are SEVERAL people selling those parts on eBay.
Most stuff is going to be plug in, only soldering will be if motor, esc or mainboard is damaged, that requires some soldering to fix.
I can help you through a bit, how to's and stuff. I've built 2 p2v's from only a pile of parts ( spare parts )
If you've got the time, and money to repair it, I'd go for it, if you get in there, and things are too messed up, sell it as is wrecked, use those funds to help finance something new/used!

But you can't make it any worse, so personally, I'd give it a go on trying first, at least you'll know!

J Dot
I'd be glad to offer assistance if you need it!

Take care, and best of luck to you.

A new Gimbal is going to cost you about 350.00, then a new camera, so by the time you get it all put back together it might be well worth it to just buy another P2 Vision if that is what you like. That way your having to worry about another fly away will be greatly lessened. Or just figure out what parts you need and then watch EBay and the Classifieds here and buy a P2 Vision being sold for parts. It can be a challenge in getting it back in the air, but can also be alot of fun and then the satisfaction of a job well done.

Price of repair is usually very pricey. Get a general idea of the parts before you decide. It might be better to get another and piece that one out on EBay. I've got a crashed P2V+ and after buying a shell, 4 motors, 4 esc's, props, and a cable package I've got `around $250.00 in it. After getting this together then I find I need a $180.00 wifi module, I haven't even addressed the camera yet.

I set it aside and bought a couple P3's but I still had the want for a P2V+. Later I bought a used P2V+ with extra batteries off of EBay for about $530.

As sales go up, hopefully spare parts will increase.

Yeah
Get ahold of member HUNCH
he repairs these, and has TONS of replacement parts, and helped me SEVERAL times with hard to find parts, as well as supplied me parts for 2 complete P2v builds from scratch! His prices are very fair, and he is a cool guy! He may also have some unforeseen advice for you!

I built first p2v for like $325 us, completely from spare parts, second cost me $240 complete ( thanks to members here, cheap parts, free parts, and package deals!

These guys/gals are AWESOME!

J Dot

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj