Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Fly away, crash, and burn.

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Lefty63, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Lefty63

I launched my new P3P after about half dozen or so successful flights. It hovered after auto take off, I gave it some altitude (30ft or so) as I searched for the waypoints path I wanted to run. That's when I saw my drone come tumbling down to the ground. I uploaded the flight record to healthydrones and it just shows I briefly lost GPS signal. Which files should I be looking at to determine if it was an internal error, or something else? Given my history with DJI repair, I'm skeptical to send it in.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Were all of the props attached when you found it?

3. Lefty63

Yes, props were smashed to pieces, but still attached. Well, what was left of them. Shell is damaged, landing gear cracked, camera is missing.

4. flyNfrank

What firmware version does the aircraft have?

5. Lefty63

I don't remember what version it was. The battery was smoked, so I can't connect it to the RC.

6. fastfed

gonna guess something hit it.. A bird, big bug, or a leaf from a tree, seriously it takes just a small thing to hit it for it to crash.

Doubtful it just fell

Double_DoubleG likes this.
  7. msinger

Approved Vendor

Perhaps one of your motors died then. Since Healthy Drones does not reveal much information, it's not going to be possible to determine what happened from the data displayed there.

Please try uploading your TXT flight log here. If you can see data displayed after uploading your log, then please post a link here so we can check it out. DJI recently started encrypting the log information, but I think it was after the DJI GO 2.8.3 release (which is what you're using).

Lefty63 likes this.
  8. flyNfrank

You can remove the microSD card and view it with your pc. Open the MISC/LOG/and open the file P3X_FW_LOG_AB .
    See images below. Once in file search for FW version which should be listed near the top.

1avas.jpg

1avas2.jpg

1vasa3.jpg

1vasa4.jpg

Corey Berg and Lefty63 like this.
  9. wooglin

I have demolished some large bugs, etc with my p3p and have never seen even a slight loss of control. Never heard of a leaf or anything like that causing a drone to drop.

Lefty63 likes this.
  10. Mimoid

It would take quite a substantial object to cause a Phantom to go down.

Bugs or bees would just be squashed but the drone would not even notice it. I regularly need to wipe off stains and specks from bug strikes from my Phantom and have never noticed the slightest loss of control.

Birds would most likely avoid the drone unless they are deliberately try to attack it. You would definitely know that if it was the case, attacking birds tend to make quite a racket.

I would assume thay your crash was caused by a malfunction in one of the motors or in the ESC controller board.

// Tom

Lefty63 likes this.
  11. Lefty63

It was in a wide open area, so no tree or wire interference, and unlikely a bird strike.
    I'll check out the tips listed above when I get home from work.

Thanks.

12. Lefty63

msinger -

Here's the link from my flight log - Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

13. Lefty63

That's not gonna work, as I format my card after retrieving the photos and videos from each flight.

14. flyNfrank

I download a copy of your flight log and converted it to view. You had App version 2.8.3. Looking everything over now. I need to go back and see what you said on this flight. It is a very short flight.

Lefty63 likes this.
  15. Lefty63

Short, and sudden decent. All I did was auto takeoff, then raise it up a little to hover while I picked my waypoint path. Never snapped a photo or started a video. Next thing I know, it's tumbling rapidly to the ground.

16. With The Birds

From your description of the event you were trying to find a waypoint path but it seems you launched in GO app.... Had you opened litchi or another app or where you trying to open a saved waypoint mission in GO?

17. phantomi

Didn't perform a CSC inadvertently?

STAINLESS likes this.
  18. msinger

Approved Vendor

Your log shows no indication of a battery failure. It also shows your Phantom was rolling over and over as it fell from the sky. Since you confirmed you did not lose a prop and you did not see anything come into contact with your Phantom, I can only assume the crash was caused by either a motor or ESC failure. The internal DAT flight log contains data for each individual motor. Unless you can obtain that data, you're not going to be able to confirm any of the motors failed.

Ross Marshall likes this.
  19. msinger

Approved Vendor

No. Both sticks were in the center position.

Lefty63 likes this.
  20. Lefty63

I use only the GO app, so Litchi isn't an issue. And no, my hands were just holding the RC, while I tried to load the waypoint route.
    msinger, how would I obtain that data? The battery was smoking when I retrieved the unit. I'm leery about using another battery to retrieve data. Could it possibly be a warranty issue? DJI could retrieve the data, correct?