Fly away common factor?

Reaction score
I can't help wondering if there is a common factor with this issue, or is it truly random.

The only thing that I tend to see recurring- is the Gopro with WiFi.

I have also noted reports, on various forum, that the WiFi has been found to have enabled itself.

So my question is- has anyone had a flyaway without a camera on board? Specifically a Gopro.

My Phantom has never had a mind of it's own (although a failure of any electronic and mechanical device is clearly possible), and I have never had my GoPro's WiFi simply activate itself.

I started following this forum after ordering my Phantom and after reading all the fly-away stories, I was worried about flying mine. I now have at least 100 flights without any crashes or any problems.

discv said:
I can't help wondering if there is a common factor with this issue, or is it truly random.

The only thing that I tend to see recurring- is the Gopro with WiFi.

I have also noted reports, on various forum, that the WiFi has been found to have enabled itself.

So my question is- has anyone had a flyaway without a camera on board? Specifically a Gopro.

I completed ~120 flights. No issues around "flyaways". Have been other kinds as compass off from skid, or FailSafe RTH because I went too far... but those are "normal" IMO.

My first Phantom was a flyaway (several times) and did not have a GoPro on it. I was using a non-wifi camera at the time.
I'm pretty sure that quad had a defect in the IMU, that's why I returned it and started over with a fresh one. No problems with the new one!

Never had the issue; flew outside with gopro & wifi enabled; indoors with a wifi amplifier and neighboring networks in the air; no problems. used both the wifi remote and the app, no issues.

I wonder with the story of the wifi enabling itself what the crashing history is.. it requires a hardware button press, can't quite believe radio interference can do the same ;)

tvpopta said:
Never had the issue; flew outside with gopro & wifi enabled; indoors with a wifi amplifier and neighboring networks in the air; no problems. used both the wifi remote and the app, no issues.

I wonder with the story of the wifi enabling itself what the crashing history is.. it requires a hardware button press, can't quite believe radio interference can do the same ;)
I am convinced a lot of people simply do not know what they are doing and are confused when things don't go the way they expected. As proof, look at some of the YouTube videos that are out there. With one video I recently watched, the guy was on his first flight and flying like a madman! The Phantom was getting far away, the pilot was confused with orentation, and flew directly into a tree. He picked it up, unbent a prop and took right off again flying the same way. With the second flight, he barely messed a house and crank the throttle to get out of trouble.

If you read these forums, you will find others that plug in the battery and takeoff, without letting the IMU's warm up or getting GPS lock. With the new firmware, I don't think the motors will start without the warmup.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl