Fly away after upgrading firmware

Reaction score
My drone for the last two flights has had control issues. It seems to have a mind of its own. I noticed a new firmware for the drone and updated it a couple of days ago. Today was a nice day to try a flight again. I went out to an open field where I have flown before, did all my checks and calibrated the compass. I took off and the drone immediately had control issues. Within a few seconds it took off towards town. Control inputs seem to change direction and speed a bit, but the drone kept flying away. I push the RTH button (before takeoff, the home point was updated) with no affect, it just kept going away. I tried turning the drone and fly it back to me backwards, but that wouldn't work either.
I uploaded the info to Airdata, but not too sure what all the info is trying to tell me.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Update...I got a call and someone found my drone. I got it back. Some damage but I think it is salvageable.

Reactions: embayweather
Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Whenever an upgrade is available its not a bad idea to delete the old DJI Go App and download the new one from iTunes this usually prevents problems with firmware updates.

Reactions: Sasquad
Check the calibration of your controller. Also look closely at your control sticks. There is a common issue with the mounting point plastic in the controller breaking. This in turn can cause the sticks to jam or not respond.

Reactions: Dronezin
Whenever an upgrade is available its not a bad idea to delete the old DJI Go App and download the new one from iTunes this usually prevents problems with firmware updates.
It is not a firmware issue. Or an app issue.

Wibble...I was hoping for the same thing. I switched to ATTI mode with no change.
HWCM...good thought on the controller, but this wouldn't explain the continued 'fly away' after I selected RTH.

Reactions: chazzm
Your flight log is showing you have a bad compass calibration (or a faulty compass). Try calibrating your compass in a location you know is free of magnetic metal objects. Also, when taking off, make sure your Phantom is at least 10 feet away from any magnetic metal objects (including those underground).

I think I will try to change out the compass. I had a good calibration before the flight. Thanks for checking.

A faulty compass is pretty uncommon. If I was you, I'd try recalibrating the compass first.

Reactions: Indiana_pyro
Wibble...I was hoping for the same thing. I switched to ATTI mode with no change.
HWCM...good thought on the controller, but this wouldn't explain the continued 'fly away' after I selected RTH.
True. Unless your stick was sticking in the forward direction. In a RTH situation,you can still manually control the Phantom. But it looks like you had a bad compass calibration. That would definitely explain it.

And put in on a leash so it can't get too far? :rolleyes: Not a great feeling watching this thing fly away with no control. I had 2 short flights before this one that had control issues with good compass calibrations. I shall do the repairs necessary to get her back in the air and accomplish a 'good' calibration from the link provided by RodPad

Reactions: RodPad
I had 2 short flights before this one that had control issues with good compass calibrations.
What happened in between those 2 flights and the flight above? Did you calibrate the compass again? Did you take off from a different spot?

I did try two different spots..both areas that I have flown before. Both times accomplishing a compass cal to make sure it was not the issue. When I had control issues on these flights, I was able to over come it with more aggressive inputs. One thing I noticed is when I increased altitude, the drone really wanted to go right without right input. I then went ahead and updated the firmware on all devices. I then went out to an open field and accomplished a compass calibration. I wanted to see if the control was better and if not, get a long enough flight in to be able to download the flight and send off to experts like you guys on this forum, never considering it would just fly away like that.

And you're 100% certain that you did not calibrate the compass and/or take off near a magnetic metal object?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1