Florida is Anti-Drone. Unconstitutional?

Even without this statute you can be accused of violating someone's privacy. Don't have the same law here but they are writing some to specifically include drones. I lived in FL for 25 years and get back a couple of times every year so I watch those laws.
Yes you can be accused civilly, but wouldn't they need to prove damages? And the video is where? On YOUR SD card!

I realize this is an older thread - and I hate to revive one that's this old... But rather than start a new on on the same subject, I thought I'd continue this one.

I just today learned of this new "law". The way I read statute 934.50, a violation of the statute occurs the moment anyone uses their Phantom to capture video of someone's property with enough clarity to identify the property. The term "surveillance" is identified quite clearly as:

(e) “Surveillance” means:
2.) With respect to privately owned real property, the observation of such property’s physical improvements with sufficient visual clarity to be able to determine unique identifying features or its occupancy by one or more persons.
Thus, if the house is identifiable, it's being "surveilled". Further, unlike conventional photography that occurs with telescopic lenses, or from a raised platform, or from manned aircraft, if filming from a "drone", the subjects expectation of privacy is different:

(3)(b)...For purposes of this section, a person is presumed to have a reasonable expectation of privacy on his or her privately owned real property if he or she is not observable by persons located at ground level in a place where they have a legal right to be, regardless of whether he or she is observable from the air with the use of a drone.
If I understand that correctly, someone in their back yard, for example, walking in the open behind their privacy fence, suddenly has legal privacy expectation. If you can see them from the building next door, no privacy is expected, but from a drone, it's a violation.

In other words, you only have an expectation of privacy in your back yard from drones, not from your neighbor who's filming you from his second story window or perched up on a ladder.

The statute does not specify enforcement/punishment, and is therefore not a criminal statute. The only "remedy" it lists is civil action brought by the "victim". Thus, someone would have to prove that your Phantom recorded them without written consent. Of course, with most of us promptly uploading our videos to YouTube, that may not be so difficult.

Since the statute permits prevailing victims to recover punitive damages AND attorney's fees, the Phantom operator could be in for some heavy expenses. Without the wording of recovering attorney's fees, any 'victim' would have a hard time retaining an attorney - as even a victory would likely not cover the expenses in representing their plaintiff. But, now that the law firms are assured compensation (as much as 2x multiplier if taken to verdict) for their legal fees, you get stuff like this:

Florida Passes First Unmanned Drone Law (Morgan & Morgan)

upload_2017-1-13_18-1-9.png

They're openly looking for 'victims'. How long before the "my lawyer got me $400k after my neighbor filmed me in my back yard" commercials start airing?

Thus, to any/all Florida fliers, I would strongly recommend you NOT record your flights if you're capturing private property w/o written consent. And if you do, do NOT post it publicly.

Last edited:
Many municipalities have passed unconstitutional laws - this one will most likely get thrown out in court too. What - you can't take a picture out the window of a plane as it's taking off or landing?

Yes, that you can. If it's a manned aircraft, then the privacy of the person in the backyard is immaterial. It's only a violation of privacy if the thing taking the picture is a drone. But, yes, it's all about citizen privacy. BS.

Morgan and Morgan and their advertisements make the run of the mill "ambulance chaser" look like a hero.

For a law firm that's been in business that long, I can't believe some of the tripe they send out as legitimate advertising.

"Drunk? No License? In the country illegally selling drugs to nuns? We'll get you at least one million dollars or you don't pay"

AD

Reactions: JTC

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj