Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Floating skids?

Discussion in 'Phantom 1 Discussion' started by PJ105, Jul 29, 2014.

1. PJ105

Has anyone installed any kind of floating skids on their phantom? Reason I ask because I've been flying the hell out of mine over water, mainly, and since I have my gopro in the watertight case, it occurs to me that if it ditches, I can at swim out to retrieve and salvage the camera, at least. I may experiment with something, let's see.

2. OI Photography

Many people have tried, but finding a solution that is both effective and practical has been elusive. This is the solution many of us ended up with for retrieving a Phantom that goes in the drink: http://www.getterback.com/

3. lake_flyer

yesterday I tried 2 coca cola bottles for this. Strapped them to my (DIY)battery side mounts, alongside the landing legs. The Phantom floated well and the Gopro just dipped completely under the surface. The only worry I have is how to keep the compass dry. I tried a plastic bag over the (stock) landing legs and that works although when you would come down in a splash, some water still enters the top of the bag. And getting the compass wet is not a good idea. You can get the craziest fly aways with a wet compass. Best thing would be to isolate the compass from moist with some kind of vulcanising tape or silicone gel. Anyone experienced with that?

But other than that I was amazed how simple the solution actually is.

Flying will be a bit less smooth with the bottles producing extra drag but on a calm day I should be able to make some great footage of my boat in the middle of the lake here. And knowing that at least it will float and that it will even live to fly another day (provided you land on the water gently, as with a RTH), gives me the courage to try it out soon.