FLIR night surveillance with Phantom 4

Carl, one thing about planned flights is that the operator can view the video in real time, he just dosn't have to fly the bird and concentrate more on what he is looking at. if he see's something he can take over the craft and investigate further. This option for me would be of a great asset because flying in the dark is risky and the planned flight would greatly reduce your chances of crashing your drone.

I agree absolutely Erised. That's the plan. Is this something the Inspire can do OTB, do I just need to buy the litchi app, or does this require further hardware?

I do want the operator to learn to fly well hands-on over dry land first.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes the inspirer can do this and it has the advantage of rotating the camera 360° without turning the aircraft. Carl you should go on the inspire pilots forum, the guy's there could help you with more information. Many of them know about this type of work.

Last edited:
Great, thanks. I will go there.

Seek Thermal Camera on a phone is an idea to try, but I need a more stand alone solution so that one person (who happens to have been a fighter pilot) can do this on a regular basis... Cell service is terrible when available. Location is truly remote.

What I'm wondering is, if I can achieve something such as this: (
) , by combining a Phantom 4 with a FLIR Vue Pro kit such as this: (Rocky Mountain Unmanned Systems
FC202-A Phantom FLIR Vue Conversion Kit with Resolution Thermal Camera, Black) ...

The above reference kits would work for me if the Phantom 2 had the range I need. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether it would work with a Phantom 4 or if there's an equivalent kit.

Wow this is pretty cool!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

...this would be a perfect application for a compact radar system (hardened and operational against everything, including hurricane-like conditions). Something like a CSR (compact surveillance radar), that works 24/7 365, on battery...like a Spotter Rf (these can detect a drone as small as a Phantom out to a kilometer; or human intruders walking or boating through a mangrove swamp sized at several hundred acres)...drones are so-so for all night surveillance, because you need half a dozen of them, constantly rotating duty because of short battery life...and, they don't work in inclement weather at all (the kind of hellacious weather you regularly get in Central America: I worked in Central America for close to a decade).

Every time I buy thermal, or night vision I have to agree not to export it. I hope there is an exception in your case. The price for thermal has really dropped.

Off topic. I also use a game camera that when it picks up motion sends a picture to a smart phone. Must have cell phone coverage for this. They cost about $350. I am guessing, the range can be set for a couple hundred feet.

Last edited:
You can set up a flight route or two or ten. So long as your starting point is the same, the flight pattern will also be the same. If you see some activity, you can stop the flight pattern and get a more detailed look. Then resume the pattern and it will come home and land. Start with close short trips at first, then was you gain confidence, start making longer flights. I use Litchi for my pre programmed flights, and it works great. Phantom 4. I don't think Litchi supports p4p. Not sure about the inspire.

Im gonna buy a p4p anyway and HOPE that something becomes commercially available, what abiout the zenmuse xt5?

Looks like a good setup, Just wonder if its something i can do myself or if would have to send them my drone, OR buy a pre instaled job form them. I live in Europe so is more accessible than my US counterparts Has anyone had ANY dealings with the company, am going to get in touch today for pricings on a ready to go P4P with FLIR. Will report back with findings. To Ininity AND BEYOND!!!!

I already have a note4 i was going to use as screen for the flir and a galacy tab 10.1 for the P4P screen, Or my galaxy s6 to use with shinecon VR headset for first person view from the P4P's main camera.

Im trying desperately not to just click and buy myself one and HOPE that a solution pops it head up.

While on topic...ive been obsessed with the idea of night vision/thermal options to attach to my drone without having to tap into battery or add ridiculous weight that'd cause a crash..I ordered a pyrus mini cam i get in a few days to start approaching the idea..is anyone an expert on the subject?I really wanna set up a 4 this stuff...but Im just a Geek i need help tho

It's an interesting idea but I'd think there are other solutions that might work better - deer cameras (quiet, nobody knows they're even there) or get a couple of big azz-bitin' junkyard dogs. :D

I like the idea of using FLIR but it sounds like a lot of work for not much gain. Maybe there's a LEO drone (not a Phantom) that has this capability (almost certainly there is) but I haven't looked.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Sunnaroe
Word...and one thing i like is the idea that with a phantom 4-we're able to hack or attach our way to whatever type of mods we want OR already capable when we master the settings...Like how those guys remove ir filters from digital cameras..Im gonna try a lightweight ir torch and cheap night vision cam and see what I learn there.

The dudes in the netherlands have it nailed with the flir setup, im waiting on a reply for a P4P setup with the flir cam from them, i like the idea of a P4P with xt5 thermal cam. Im SURE by now there is an off the shelf setup dying to be used by me. I will find a way have no doubts. The P4P is the perfect flight platform crying out to have thermal capabilities even with a slightly reduced flight time. Ovciously i wont be flying 24 hour sortees over enemy territory and launching hellfires at un suspecting ducks but there is a system that will let me do what i need to do, (solar panel inspection mostly) Hotspot finding....
If anyone comes across anything i havent covered tap me up. You will make it onto my xmas card list and i mite even buy you a box of chocolates! Cheers Pilots. Massive shout out to the phantom pilot crew. DOUBLE HIGH 5 (topgun style) Mike xx

Reactions: Sunnaroe
The dudes in the netherlands have it nailed with the flir setup, im waiting on a reply for a P4P setup with the flir cam from them, i like the idea of a P4P with xt5 thermal cam. Im SURE by now there is an off the shelf setup dying to be used by me. I will find a way have no doubts. The P4P is the perfect flight platform crying out to have thermal capabilities even with a slightly reduced flight time. Ovciously i wont be flying 24 hour sortees over enemy territory and launching hellfires at un suspecting ducks but there is a system that will let me do what i need to do, (solar panel inspection mostly) Hotspot finding....
If anyone comes across anything i havent covered tap me up. You will make it onto my xmas card list and i mite even buy you a box of chocolates! Cheers Pilots. Massive shout out to the phantom pilot crew. DOUBLE HIGH 5 (topgun style) Mike xx

Keep us posted. If it is workable, I want one.

Keep us posted. If it is workable, I want one.

Will do, Have had a rough weekend with helath problems in the family only just woken up, 23:50 sunday night. So will probably be up all night AGAIN. Sleeping pattern has taken a back flip into the abyss. SO glad i havent just ordered a P4P in the middle of the night without FULLY finishing my dronework (drone based home work) I awoke saturday to a parcel from a mate, he's bought me a Eachine 250 and controller, i struggled to get it fully set up and flying but bumbled the 1st landing and have broken a propeller. New ones ordered but looking at them they seem to be different sizes/inclanations. Should be fun replacing/refitting the new ones.

From what i have read they seem like OK drones for a beginner. Good FPV and again form what i have seen it looks like eachines are being used for the drone racing one of them and some fatshark goggles. I think im just going toget it rolling and sell it, pop the £$ into a pot towards my P4P setup. Feels like the clock is ticking and the business ideas i have that are based around the P4P and FLIR, i will be GUTTED if someone else comes up with the idea and makes the dream a reality before i do.

Fimgers Crossed Pilots.

Hope you had a good weekend, Back to the grind tomorrow. Well in 4 mintues when monday raises its usually head.

Laters People.

M x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav