FLIR Camera

Reaction score
Hi All

I have been researching the possibilities of either replacing the existing camera on my P4 or adding an additional Infra Red Camera to be used to detect residual "Hot Spots" after a bush fire. (These are typically logs/trees/roots etc that, to the naked eye, show no signs of the threat they still hold, HEAT!) This will then allow our on the ground fire fighters to be directed to these spots and put them out!

So far I've see an old (2015) YouTube clip of DJI entering into an arrangement with "FLIR" and several "budget" versions attempted by individuals but nothing really concrete or simple! The closest so far is dronexpert, sadly too expensive for us as we are all volunteers in a regional area.

If anyone has had success in this area I'd love to hear about it or if they know or have found a resource please let me know. From what I see so far DJI have nothing available for the P4.

Thanks

Considering you can now buy flir cameras at Home Depot it probably won't be long till we have more options for the drones. But like everything else if you paint it red and say it's for the fire service it's going to be expensive. Call it tactical and you can max out the price. Thermal on a drone is a great thing for brush fires, could also be used for large area searches for missing people, and even scouting out the areas for mva's if you suspect someone might be ejected. I'll leave the legality discussions for other threads because I don't know enough about them, but it would be another tool in the tool box to use

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl