Flipped Drone

Did you install the propellers at their wrong position as in the clockwise-turn propeller on a counter-clockwise-turn motor?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Waits for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to agree that the modes were switched (Mode 1 instead of Mode 2). When you thought you were going up you were actually pushing forward which caused it to go on its top. I always tell beginners to use auto take-off and gently touch the sticks to figure things out if you're unsure. The built in flight controller can take off much better than an in-experienced pilot. Heck I've been fly RC for almost 25 years now and use the auto-takeoff setting still, its just friggin cool.

Reactions: snowghost
Did you install the propellers at their wrong position as in the clockwise-turn propeller on a counter-clockwise-turn motor?
Not possible on the P3 is it? You would totally muck up the threads cross threading them that way.

Auto Takeoff is very awesome indeed.

Sorry to hear that bird died before you could have fun.

You don't live up in Washington state, do you? I have a niece who has a son named Dru that got a quad for Christmas. But I don't think there is an "e" on his name. That would be pretty wild if true, though!

Not possible on the P3 is it? You would totally muck up the threads cross threading them that way.
It is possible if you don't pay attention to the color or that it takes a little effort. I myself did it once but realized before I got it fully threaded and thankfully only ruined a prop by cross threading. It was easier to do than I thought it would be on original plastic prop.

Easy to assume pilot error here however you have has said you read the manual and applied throttle input only. It seems the takeoff point was "patio slabs''. Maybe one of the skids found its way far enough into a crack on liftoff to cause the flip. From the sounds of it there is significant damage including main board (motor only if lucky )given the esc error. Perhaps if you upload your log txt or dat file someone may shed some light on what happened.

The ironic thing is I put it on one of the kids crash mats just incase it came back down hard. So no chance of getting trapped.

It flipped right over without taking off and shot onto the slabs.... Total panic station so never got it powered down quick enough.

You don't live up in Washington state, do you? I have a niece who has a son named Dru that got a quad for Christmas. But I don't think there is an "e" on his name. That would be pretty wild if true, though!

Nope, live in Scotland.

Sorry to hear of your experience. And on your first attempt, no less. That's tough. I do have a question for you. Patio slab = reinforcing steel (maybe). Did you perhaps calibrate the compass properly, away from ferrous metals then attempt to take off from a place with magnetic interference? I don't know if that's the situation, but its something to consider.

Don't give up the hobby. We look forward to hearing of your next successful flight.

No the patio is made of sandstone slabs..... At £1200 for the kit it might be a while before you hear of that.

Taking off and landing with the "auto take off" and "auto land" buttons is so much more reliable than doing it manually, plus there's no room for error. I almost crashed mine a couple times trying to land manually. So after a couple days of catching it in the air, I decided to try the auto land. Man that's so much easier! I've never had a problem taking off manually but it just makes better sense to let it do it's thing.
I hope you get in the air soon. I hear DJI is pretty good about repairing. Sorry for your loss.

In hindsight I should have done but went through everything more than once and watch multiple videos. I hope they are good about repairs but I'm not holding out much hope.

You probably... Didn't take the throttle up fast enough, so it just got a chance to lift and then fell... You need to take it up at least 3 feet quickly so it actually has a lift off. Like a rocket, it needs more gas to lift off.

It didn't even lift off the ground, just flipped 180 onto it's props and rumbled over the patio slabs. I'm pissed off with myself but I even put it on one of the kids crash mats as protection against a hard landing. Soon as it flipped it shot off side ways and I was in such a panic I never powered it down quick enough.

Reactions: Reed L
No wind at all. Just flipped 180 without even leaving the ground.

This is a pure guess but it sounds to me just like when you thought you pushed up you were actually pushing turn. Whether this is pilot error, doubtful, or sticks were set the wrong way around i.e I use the left stick for Forward=up Back=Down, Right=Rotate Right Left=Rotate Left. You can actually swap the stick controls so that the left stick does to what the right stick does in the DJI app. So when you thought you were pushing up you were actually telling it to go forward, so instead it levered itself over onto concrete.

As everyone has said so far :-
1. check your flight records to see what actual sticks you pushed and in what direction
2. check to see if the left stick, which I assume you used for lift off, is set to lift not turn/direction.

Most likely the sticks were reversed but... If it flipped immediately, maybe a motor was reversed, only the logs will tell.

Reactions: Drue
Moving left stick up at an angle will flip it down during initial lift off. Be careful.

Hi folks,

Today I unboxed and set up my new 3 pro.

After following the set up instructions and watching more than 1 YouTube video I set it on the ground and was all set to go. I turned on the rotors and pushed forward on the lift only for it to flip 180 on to it's rotors and it rumbled about the patio slabs.

Once back inside and checked, apart from the broken blades I found it had an ESC error a loose motor and broken motor housing...... Totally f****d!!

Has anyone else had or heard of something similar happening on a maiden flight?

Thanks

Mind asking you... Do you push the left throttle up..and at the same time you push the right throttle up during take off...

This reminds me of an incident with a real helicopter when I was in the service. The aircraft had a system called the stability augmentation system or SAS. There were 2 what they called amplifiers in the nose of the bird that were redundant systems. Anyhow a couple of my fellow avionics techs had just replace one of the amps in the bird and went to lunch, the MAF (Maintenance Action Form) had not been signed off on because they had not tested the install. The electrical test of the device involved moving a switch in a certain direction and watching a meter on the amp defect and confirm it deflected in a certain direction. There also was a mechanical test where you verified that the blades of the rotor acted in a prescribed manner. Anyhow, some how the aircraft got cleared for a test flight before the test actions were complete. I was out on the flight line at the time, the bird went up into a hover with no issues, but suddenly started to violently roll and slammed down onto the Tarmac. The investigation later reported that one of the small gyros on a circuit board in the SAS amp was wired in 180 degrees out which caused the aircraft SAS system to assume the bird was upside down and attempt to right itself as soon as the system was engaged when they where in a hover. 2 errors were made that caused this incident, 1 the avionics test was not completed part of which specifically would have caught the defective device (The needle on the meter would have deflected in the opposite direction as was specified) Also per procedure the pilot is instructed when engaging the SAS system to leave his hand on the switch to facilitate quickly disengaging the system should an unexpected result occur. Fortunately the bird only sustained damage to one of its stub wing landing gear, as the aircraft was not far off the ground, could have been a lot worse had the aircraft been higher and been able to roll further causing possibly blade strikes......Anyhow long story but thought folks might appreciate.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl