Flipped Drone

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Today I unboxed and set up my new 3 pro.

After following the set up instructions and watching more than 1 YouTube video I set it on the ground and was all set to go. I turned on the rotors and pushed forward on the lift only for it to flip 180 on to it's rotors and it rumbled about the patio slabs.

Once back inside and checked, apart from the broken blades I found it had an ESC error a loose motor and broken motor housing...... Totally f****d!!

Has anyone else had or heard of something similar happening on a maiden flight?

Thanks

Hi folks,

Today I unboxed and set up my new 3 pro.

After following the set up instructions and watching more than 1 YouTube video I set it on the ground and was all set to go. I turned on the rotors and pushed forward on the lift only for it to flip 180 on to it's rotors and it rumbled about the patio slabs.

Once back inside and checked, apart from the broken blades I found it had an ESC error a loose motor and broken motor housing...... Totally f****d!!

Has anyone else had or heard of something similar happening on a maiden flight?

Thanks
Sounds like you had your sticks reversed. What mode was the controller on?

Did it lift? Was it the left stick? Did you check your modes and start in mode 2? This is the first time I've heard of anyone totally flipping it on the first attempt :)

It was just on the standard setting, the up, down, rotate on the left and forward, back, left, right on the right.

As soon as I applied the lift that's when it flipped.

Play back the flight record and turn on stick movements. That'll tell you what the bird thought you did.

Wow :( Sorry for your loss...

You probably... Didn't take the throttle up fast enough, so it just got a chance to lift and then fell... You need to take it up at least 3 feet quickly so it actually has a lift off. Like a rocket, it needs more gas to lift off.

Easy to assume pilot error here however you have has said you read the manual and applied throttle input only. It seems the takeoff point was "patio slabs''. Maybe one of the skids found its way far enough into a crack on liftoff to cause the flip. From the sounds of it there is significant damage including main board (motor only if lucky )given the esc error. Perhaps if you upload your log txt or dat file someone may shed some light on what happened.

I read these and other forums for 6 weeks before getting mine. One of the dont's that I recall was don't baby it on liftoff. Punch it up to 10 feet or so 3/4 to Full throttle. Sorry about your loss. Contact DJI with flight data to see if they will help with repair/replacement.

Reactions: Drue
Taking off and landing with the "auto take off" and "auto land" buttons is so much more reliable than doing it manually, plus there's no room for error. I almost crashed mine a couple times trying to land manually. So after a couple days of catching it in the air, I decided to try the auto land. Man that's so much easier! I've never had a problem taking off manually but it just makes better sense to let it do it's thing.
I hope you get in the air soon. I hear DJI is pretty good about repairing. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear of your experience. And on your first attempt, no less. That's tough. I do have a question for you. Patio slab = reinforcing steel (maybe). Did you perhaps calibrate the compass properly, away from ferrous metals then attempt to take off from a place with magnetic interference? I don't know if that's the situation, but its something to consider.

Don't give up the hobby. We look forward to hearing of your next successful flight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic