Flight to sea lions and oil rig 1.3 miles offshore

Reaction score
Took the Phantom 1.3 miles offshore to visit sea lions and the oil platform "Emmy" off the coast of Huntington Beach, CA. Even though I've done this flight a few times, I still can't relax until the Phantom pops into view on its way home. :roll:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECHkf6xA30E[/youtube]

Sea lions at 1:05 and 2:50. Oil rig at 1:57. (Sorry about the YouTube music selection)

Had issues with gimbal jerk (yaw). Edited most of them out but left one in at 3:44 so you could see. Will try balancing the GoPro before next flight.

Here's the flytrex map track:

sealion_flight.jpg

There's another oil rig beyond Emmy called "Eva". At 2.2 miles out she's a temptress just out of reach. The farthest I've made it is 1.9 miles before losing video and calling it quits (yellow dot). Even at Emmy video can be flaky. Perhaps when the RF conditions are good I'll try again.

emmy_eva.jpg

PS - I keep it below 400 feet on these flights and watch out for planes that use the rig as a visual indicator to John Wayne airport.

WOW. Well done. I live here and am familiar with that rig. You sure got balls, flying that far away...gave ME heart palpatations!

Hmmm I wonder if I could make it there with my PV2+ with Stage 2 FPVLR.... I live in Newport, might drive up and give it a try

I've seen several people attempt to fly to those things but this is the closest I've seen anybody get to one. Very brave to fly that far over the ocean, I'd be too nervous.

jflyer3 said:
There's another oil rig beyond Emmy called "Eva". At 2.2 miles out she's a temptress just out of reach.

I would suggest investing your cash on some of the fine equipment that Tony is selling over at FPVLR.com --- a half-dome helical + Sunhans 2.5W amp on the WiFi extender plus the 2 pinwheel antennas on the bird and I can pretty much guarantee you can float your Phantom right up to "Eva" and give her a big smooch on the top deck! I'm also using a 5.8 amp + 14 dBi patch antenna for the control signal but it seems like FPV is what drops out first when flying really far out there.

Please don't ignore the pinwheels on the bird-side --- those make a HUGE difference in range boost.

I've had my P2V+ out to 2.7 miles on a good day in a rural area with no WiFi interference --- so your goal is easily achievable with Tony's excellent products. :p

MadMitch88 said:
jflyer3 said:
There's another oil rig beyond Emmy called "Eva". At 2.2 miles out she's a temptress just out of reach.

I would suggest investing your cash on some of the fine equipment that Tony is selling over at FPVLR.com --- a half-dome helical + Sunhans 2.5W amp on the WiFi extender plus the 2 pinwheel antennas on the bird and I can pretty much guarantee you can float your Phantom right up to "Eva" and give her a big smooch on the top deck! I'm also using a 5.8 amp + 14 dBi patch antenna for the control signal but it seems like FPV is what drops out first when flying really far out there.

Please don't ignore the pinwheels on the bird-side --- those make a HUGE difference in range boost.

I've had my P2V+ out to 2.7 miles on a good day in a rural area with no WiFi interference --- so your goal is easily achievable with Tony's excellent products. :p

Believe me, Tony is very familiar with my money (see my sig). :) Even so I'm at the limits of both my video Tx and stock RC Tx range. I want more range but I don't want to lug around a Frankenstein transmitter setup that freaks people out. I'm thinking a 600 mW TS832 video transmitter would give me more FPV range than my current 400 mW TS353, but I've heard mixed reviews about the true power output of the TS832.

As for the 2.4 GHz control channel, I suppose I could go with a patch antenna to get more range but this may not be the wisest solution because of the signal directionality. Not sure what to do about that.

Hi J, you are correct, things can be improved immensely.
I forgot what antennas you have at the moment.
To go further I suggest a 600mw ImmersionRC tx and a immersion duo Rx which is better than the built in receiver of your monitor.

You use the 4.25 turns helix on one port and a pinwheel on the other port, you also can use the pentalobe on the tx. I am not sure the connector will match though as boscam tx use a rp-sma female while irc uses sma female. The improvement is noticeable. The other option you have is try to get more elevation sometimes 6-10 ft makes a huge difference, so flying from the edge of a pier is lots better than flying off the beach. That's a cheap solution right there. For TX , my advice is not to use a patch as that's too directional, I am testing a low gain, 5dBi 3 element yagi, with one reflector, the radiating element and 1 director element. The patters is very favorable, it's slightly directional, you still have good coverage on the sides and back but you have the best gain of course in front of you, this will give you 50% more distance and it's a super way to get that extra leg that is missing from your range.
Tony.

jflyer3 said:
Believe me, Tony is very familiar with my money (see my sig). :) Even so I'm at the limits of both my video Tx and stock RC Tx range. I want more range but I don't want to lug around a Frankenstein transmitter setup that freaks people out. I'm thinking a 600 mW TS832 video transmitter would give me more FPV range than my current 400 mW TS353, but I've heard mixed reviews about the true power output of the TS832.

As for the 2.4 GHz control channel, I suppose I could go with a patch antenna to get more range but this may not be the wisest solution because of the signal directionality. Not sure what to do about that.

Well I do agree with your perception of a "Frankenstein controller" --- here's a pic of my transmitter and it does look like some sort of evil lab experiment:

Frankenstein_1.jpg

However, you seem like a long-distance nutjob like me so I'd say it's only a matter of time before you whip out the credit card, grimace for the pain, and splurge on booster amps to make your bird fly out to Eva and blow kisses to those roughnecks!

I guess you could piddle around with a 600mW amp if you want --- sooner or later, you're gonna want a "manly" amp like the Sunhans 2.5W that can take you WAYYY out there.

:p :p :p :p :p

max said:
Hmmm I wonder if I could make it there with my PV2+ with Stage 2 FPVLR.... I live in Newport, might drive up and give it a try

If you did the bird side antennas to, you would get out to a mile no problem. With just the stage 2 you might make it. Anyway, what are you worried about? RTH dude.

Don't you ever rely on RTH!

Given enough wind, > 30 mph which may not be unusal over the sea, you may end up with loosing your bird! It does not have enough power in RTH mode to fly against this kind of wind

MadMitch88,....."Well I do agree with your perception of a "Frankenstein controller" --- here's a pic of my transmitter and it does look like some sort of evil lab experiment:"
If I was one of the sharp gals on the beach and I saw that thing walking toward me, I'd run. :lol:

Happyflyer said:
MadMitch88,....."Well I do agree with your perception of a "Frankenstein controller" --- here's a pic of my transmitter and it does look like some sort of evil lab experiment:"

If I was one of the sharp gals on the beach and I saw that thing walking toward me, I'd run. :lol:

With my Rave monitor mount I'd say my transmitter is a chick magnet (relatively speaking): :D

controller.jpg

That was a great flight - I can well imagine how it must have been piloting it.

I have the FPVLR bird-side antennas, but haven't installed them yet. Im still having fun with stage 2, and I want to wring out these new 9450 props first.

...but I find my phantom is often drawn to water - time to consider a float system (especially now that we have more lift to play with)...

un hombre said:

Given enough wind, > 30 mph which may not be unusal over the sea, you may end up with loosing your bird! It does not have enough power in RTH mode to fly against this kind of wind

Well if you are dumb enough to fly in 30 mph winds maybe you shouldnt have a drone. RTH is a great feature and has never failed me once over 41 suicide missions.

smaugnaut said:
un hombre said:

Well if you are dumb enough to fly in 30 mph winds maybe you shouldnt have a drone. RTH is a great feature and has never failed me once over 41 suicide missions.

Dumb enough? This quad can handle 40 mph gusts no problem, but not in rth mode. For me dumber is not knowing the limits of the tool you are using...

un hombre said:
smaugnaut said:
un hombre said:

Dumb enough? This quad can handle 40 mph gusts no problem, but not in rth mode. For me dumber is not knowing the limits of the tool you are using...

Dude what are you talking about??? The phantom can only fly 35 mph tops without wind. If you take off in anything more than 15mph dont expect to get it back. I fly long distances and i know exactly what im talking about when it comes to wind and the tool im flying.

Dumb enough? This quad can handle 40 mph gusts no problem, but not in rth mode. For me dumber is not knowing the limits of the tool you are using...[/quote]

Dude what are you talking about??? The phantom can only fly 35 mph tops without wind. If you take off in anything more than 15mph dont expect to get it back. I fly long distances and i know exactly what im talking about when it comes to wind and the tool im flying.[/quote]

Someone back me up on this before someone reads what this guy says and takes their phantom out in 30 mph winds. I feel like im being trolled. DO NOT listen to this guy.

Sorry, not 40 mph, around 50 km/h so 30 mph and gusts, not constant wind. I was flying in this kind of gusts and it was not ideal but doable although shaky and he was struggling at times. I do not mean constant wind, I mean gusts, of course it will hardly move in constant 30 mph wind but in gusts no problem...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.