Flight times? Collecting flight times ..

Reaction score
Hi thought it might be useful for some to have some data about various configurations and flight times. So why not respond with your phantom configuration, add ons, alterations and what is your typical flight time. Here's a few of mine:
Phantom v1 carbon fiber props no gimbal HERO3+ 10 mins
Phantom v1 carbon fiber props HUMMER gimbal HERO3+ 6.5 mins
Phantom v1 carbon fiber props HUMMER gimbal HERO3+ 6.5 mins
Phantom v1 carbon fiber props HUMMER gimbal HERO3+ 5.5 mins (COLD)
Phantom v1 carbon fiber props HUMMER gimbal HERO3+ 5.5 mins (COLD)
Phantom v1 carbon fiber props HUMMER gimbal HERO3+ 5 mins (COLD)
Phantom v1 carbon fiber props no gimbal HERO3+ 9 mins
Phantom v1 V2 props Hummer gimbal HERO3+ 9 mins
Phantom v2 Zenmuse gimbal Hero3+ 14 min
Phantom v2 Zenmuse gimbal Hero3+ 16.5 Mins

Still haven't broken the 20 mins on a phantom or Vision..

To really be useful the information should record total bird weight, Props (specifically size, pitch, and material), battery size (not everyone is using 2200Mah), battery make, Motor (standard or upgraded, make) and electrical drains attached to the main battery...such as extra lights, video transmitter, OSD, etc., etc.

when I first started flying with a new, more or less naked bird, I recorded flight times for a standardized hover as I added weight and made graphs. The result was, with preliminary data, that the reduction in flight time (to first warning lights) was linear and approximately 1.2 seconds reduction per gram added weight. This has been a very useful and generally accurate standard.

Overall, without the additional data the flight time stuff is only mildly interesting. What is CRITICAL is that everyone know pretty closely what THEIR setup gives in terms of flight time. What is interesting is to find out that someone flying their bird with the same weight is getting, say, three miniutes more flight time than you are. THAT sets you on a quest to find out how and why....which usually leads you to propping, motors, warning light settings, etc., etc.

Hero 3, stock battery and props, and Fatshark transmitter. Getting about 8.5 on cold days and 9 on warm days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantom v1
Tarot gimbal
Gopro hero 3
Fpv
P2v props
Gens ace 2200 mah lipo 40c
Total weight 1200g
Average time 8-9 mins

UAW - 1258g
Batt - 2200 stock
Stock prop

I get a whopping 4 min @ 55F degree day when it reach 2nd voltage alarm and landed :(

Phantom v1
Hero with case
Standard props
Standard battery
Close to 9 min ~ -5c

Then hero died, traded in for hero3 (tended warranty paid off)
Got just less than 9 min on -20c day

Phantom V1.1.1
Zenmuse + GoPro H3B+
Gaui 600mw FPV TX
PV Props
Mad Dog 2700mah
Total Flight Time: 12:15

With a Nanotec 2200mah battery: 10:20

Phantom v1.1.1
Gopro3+ w/ go pro case
carbon fiber anti jello mount
stock props
stock Phantom 2200 battery
prop guards w/ protective string in place
around 7 minutes til first warning triggered (7:15 w/ stock DJI gopro mount instead of gopro case)

Phantom V1
Zenmuse
FPV
PV props
Mad Dog 2700mah
Flight time 12:02

w/Phantom 2200mah 8:13

today was much warmer (60s)

Phantom v2 w/ zenmuse 20 mins w/ 20% still left on the battery
Phantom Vision still getting crappy 16 mins, though I did get it to 1500 ft away in an open field... very usable at 1400 feet.

Dji v1
Gopro3 + case
-24c (really #%^}{*+= cold)
~8 min
Standard 2200mah dji batt

p.s. Looking for decent spare batt, where shipping isn't =or > than $ of batt. :roll:

B&H Photo sells Phantom 1 batteries for 23 bucks and I normally get free shipping worst case its 4 bucks.

Phantom v1.1.1
Stock self tightening props
Stock 2200 batt
Zenmuse H3-2D
GoPro Black
Video TX
Garmin GTU-10
PMU v2 / GCU / iOSD mini inside the case

6.5 minutes consistently in 25-30F weather.

Don't know the weight yet, looking for a good scale.

EMCSQUAR said:
Phantom V1
Zenmuse
FPV
PV props
Mad Dog 2700mah

Are there any drawbacks to the 2700mah batteries? Do you have to modify the Phantom v1? Will they charge with the stock charger?

My flight time for a stock Phantom v1 with Arris CM2000 and FPV is exactly 8 min.

careysb said:
EMCSQUAR said:
Phantom V1
Zenmuse
FPV
PV props
Mad Dog 2700mah

Are there any drawbacks to the 2700mah batteries? Do you have to modify the Phantom v1? Will they charge with the stock charger?

My flight time for a stock Phantom v1 with Arris CM2000 and FPV is exactly 8 min.

The Maddogs are actually really good. Pretty close to optimal power-to-weight ratio for the Phantom. They fit without any modifications needed, and give 2-3 minutes more flight time.

ElGuano said:
careysb said:
EMCSQUAR said:
Phantom V1
Zenmuse
FPV
PV props
Mad Dog 2700mah

The Maddogs are actually really good. Pretty close to optimal power-to-weight ratio for the Phantom. They fit without any modifications needed, and give 2-3 minutes more flight time.

+1

Those, plus the new props from the Vision, are the "secret sauce" that had the most dramatic effect on flight times with my original-version Phantom.

Establish a flight time for no camera and gimbal. Then basically every gram of weight is a second of flying time. Individual setups will vary but this works for me. My 200 gram gimbal takes off 3 minutes of time. 70 gram camera is another minute. The 2800 mah batteries add way less weight relative to power, but the gram to time ratio is still pretty close.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.