Flight time with new motors???

Did more tests this morning, with 2x 2400 mAh batteries (LiHV Hyperion G6 30/60C) attached.
Old motors/shell: 23:05
New motors/shell: 26:43
Again, hovering, so normal flight times will be better. Also, it was cold (-2 °C) and with a little wind. So not ideal, but good for comparison.

I made a spreadsheet - for those that want to add their tests, PM me or send an e-mail to the address mentioned.
DJI Phantom 3 Professional battery comparison sheet - Google Sheets

I think I do, and I also recognize when people are overstating things, blowing things out of proportion. For "Every upgrade" there's a DOWNGRADE? Really? Very exaggerated.

Dude, why are you being so sensitive? lol Everybody knows the Phantom 3 is better than the Phantom 2. I just a made a comment. Relax... ;)

Did more tests this morning, with 2x 2400 mAh batteries (LiHV Hyperion G6 30/60C) attached.
Again, hovering, so normal flight times will be better. Also, it was cold (-2 °C) and with a little wind. So not ideal, but good for comparison.

I made a spreadsheet - for those that want to add their tests, PM me or send an e-mail to the address mentioned.
So far your tests are showing better results for new motors. Try to keep the same test conditions for both the sets e.g. Same batteries, same props, same height.....

Happy to see your contributions.

So far your tests are showing better results for new motors. Try to keep the same test conditions for both the sets e.g. Same batteries, same props, same height.....

Happy to see your contributions.

Yes, agreed. Anyone else have any data?

Fredz, interesting data, thanks for sharing. Have you compared top speed? Some here believe the new motors might not be as powerful, given the evidence from Healthy drone that the new motors pull less current. Not sure that evidence is relevant, but if compelled, a comparison for top speed would be another parameter of interest, if you and another person had a drag race next to each other.

Reactions: alokbhargava
Fredz, interesting data, thanks for sharing. Have you compared top speed? Some here believe the new motors might not be as powerful, given the evidence from Healthy drone that the new motors pull less current. Not sure that evidence is relevant, but if compelled, a comparison for top speed would be another parameter of interest, if you and another person had a drag race next to each other.
Max speed isn't related to more powerful motors (except in a vertical climb and that's governed anyway).
Your Phantom goes faster by tilting more and the degree of tilt is governed by the programming of the flight controller.

Max speed isn't related to more powerful motors (except in a vertical climb and that's governed anyway).
Your Phantom goes faster by tilting more and the degree of tilt is governed by the programming of the flight controller.
Good idea, vertical drag races would be another data point just to see what happens, although governed. The point being, if all datapoints show no difference, the new motors are a good option, even though those that have the old motor will never want to admit it :p. However, if the datapoints do show a difference, that would be interesting stuff.

Did another test this morning with 2x 2800 mAh LiHV batteries (Hyperion G6), only with the new bird currently. Hovering result: 27:55. So a little more than the 2x 2400 ones (26:43). However, motors felt warm after this last flight, which wasn't the case with the 2400s. The 2400s weigh 203g each, while the 2800s weigh 258g each. I suppose the 2800s are really too heavy as a payload.

The general rule-of-thumb/sweet-spot regarding weight seems to be 'hover at 50% throttle'.

But my P2NV doesn't even hover at 50% as evidenced by switching to Manual Mode and the a/c descends.

Did another test this morning with 2x 2800 mAh LiHV batteries (Hyperion G6), only with the new bird currently. Hovering result: 27:55. So a little more than the 2x 2400 ones (26:43). However, motors felt warm after this last flight, which wasn't the case with the 2400s. The 2400s weigh 203g each, while the 2800s weigh 258g each. I suppose the 2800s are really too heavy as a payload.

Very interesting. Anyone else have any data on the new motors?

I wouldn't add anymore weight to the P3. It's already a pretty bloated little piglet.

I wouldn't add anymore weight to the P3. It's already a pretty bloated little piglet.

I am not the motor expert but here is an interesting question.

All motor manufactures have a motor torque curve. We (Robotics Club) like to stay around the 40% toque as defined by the following EXAMPLE plot so we get the most power for given our precious battery. This plots helps minimize current, maximize torque and maximize speed. Maybe DJI can post the curves for us so we can all learn more about motor efficiency (not prop efficiency).

Does a lower altitude flight cause more torque because of the atmospheric density? The motor will have to spin faster at higher altitudes due to less atmos density.

Thoughts? Comments?

torquepowerspeed.jpg

Last edited:
I thought electric motors in general had a mostly flat torque curve, right from the go and up until a certain rpm when it drops (unlike combustion engines). The power of course changes and that affects efficiency in general, but power is a result of torque X rpm so if you accelerate it draws more current, so economy is about rpm not torque. Or so I believed.

I thought electric motors in general had a mostly flat torque curve, right from the go and up until a certain rpm when it drops (unlike combustion engines). The power of course changes and that affects efficiency in general, but power is a result of torque X rpm so if you accelerate it draws more current, so economy is about rpm not torque. Or so I believed.

Here is a better motor torque curve example that is color coded to explain things. It is my understanding that we should operate the motor on the left side of the green maximum because there is less current used. That is why we use 40% of the green line. In this case we would want to operate around 64 oz-in (40% of 160 oz-in). If we go left of that 64 oz-in torque, we are sacrificing power more than a current savings. If I were writing the code for this autopilot, I would keep my rotator speeds around 5100rpm. I would also read in this motor curve to optimize efficiency, power and current.

I could not find the motor curves for the phantom brushless motors. Maybe some of you can find it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers