Flight time with new motors???

Reaction score
Hoping the pilots out there with new motors can share some of their healthy drone results on their battery flight times.

I know the P3S is lighter(not by much) and uses different technology than the A and P but curious if it's longer flight time has anything to do with the motors

I would have to agree with the flying bird on this one. Measurable flight time difference will be so small its not worth thinking about. you basically have 2 options here, you either:

a. Have the new motors and don't care
b. Don't have the new motors and don't care

an extra battery is always going to be cheaper and get you more flight time :)

Reactions: RobVson
I am planning on doing a 100% to 30% hovering test some time this week with the new motors. That what you're looking for?

The new motors don't give you longer flight time. DJI started using them because they're slightly cheaper. There's basically no noticeable difference.

I think you can still count on the average a 18 minute actual,flight time. With the reserve there before critical battery level.

Reactions: eBird
Yes pilot Harry that and the flight logs. Only reason I ask is because someone mentioned on a thread that they got 28 minutes with new motors. But the he did say that some of that the P3 was on the ground while he switched lens

I get about 18 minutes in fairly windy conditions to 30%.

One thing I noticed (it was very obvious) is they're quieter, haven't had a chance to fly 'em yet

I'm getting 2.5 minutes more per flight time with the new motors. Was even able to use the same battery with both versions of the P3A. New Motors V Old Motors

Reactions: PilotHarry
I currently have a P3P old version, old shell, and a brand new P3P new shell, now motors.

Many say there is no difference between old and new motors. So I did a small "scientific" test.
Conditions: hovering 0.5-1.5 meters over a garden (grass). No wind (less than 1-2 km/h according to Healthydrones). P-GPS. Fly battery until 10% then let auto-land. It was cold outside, about 5° C, but batteries and bird were warm; I only brought them out a minute before flight.
Firmware old bird: 1.1.9. Firmware new bird: 1.3.20+ (stock). iOS DJI Go 2.3.0.

Results with stock battery.
Old P3P: 17:55.
New P3P: 21:11.
That's a difference of 3 mins 16 seconds, or more than 17%

Old one: the motors were lukewarm after flight. New one: motors were cold.

Healthydrones old P3P: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Healhydrones new P3P: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Next up, tests with many different batteries connected to a modded DJI battery, from 1300 mAh to 2800 mAh each.

I currently have a P3P old version, old shell, and a brand new P3P new shell, now motors.

Many say there is no difference between old and new motors. So I did a small "scientific" test.
Conditions: hovering 0.5-1.5 meters over a garden (grass). No wind (less than 1-2 km/h according to Healthydrones). P-GPS. Fly battery until 10% then let auto-land. It was cold outside, about 5° C, but batteries and bird were warm; I only brought them out a minute before flight.
Firmware old bird: 1.1.9. Firmware new bird: 1.3.20+ (stock). iOS DJI Go 2.3.0.

Results with stock battery.
Old P3P: 17:55.
New P3P: 21:11.
That's a difference of 3 mins 16 seconds, or more than 17%

Old one: the motors were lukewarm after flight. New one: motors were cold.

Healthydrones old P3P: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Healhydrones new P3P: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Next up, tests with many different batteries connected to a modded DJI battery, from 1300 mAh to 2800 mAh each.

Old motors have raised fins and would create a fan effect and would load the motors to reduce their efficiencies. New motors seem to be having better design.

Only point I see in your testing is that you conducted tests at low altitudes which loads motors lightly and you won't this get their actual performance on at least 75% load. But your tests definitely showed that new motors have better performance at light loads.

One flight flown at the different times on hardware of different ages is not a valid comparison. The only way to make a valid comparison is take two new out of the box units (one old motors and one new) and have them fly together at the same time. And then repeat it about 100 times. And then take 4 more units and do the same.

Or you simply do the math on the specs and realize the new motors have far too much in common with the old ones to make a noticeable difference. You can't squeeze blood from a stone.

One flight flown at the different times on hardware of different ages is not a valid comparison. The only way to make a valid comparison is take two new out of the box units (one old motors and one new) and have them fly together at the same time. And then repeat it about 100 times. And then take 4 more units and do the same.

Or you simply do the math on the specs and realize the new motors have far too much in common with the old ones to make a noticeable difference. You can't squeeze blood from a stone.

Let's appreciate what Fredz has done.

Using two new P3 birds and conducting tests 100 times is possible by a test lab and not by an individual.

Let's appreciate what Fredz has done.

Using two new P3 birds and conducting tests 100 times is possible by a test lab and not by an individual.

Agreed but I want people to understand is that one isolated test in a non-controlled environment is not a conclusive result by any means.

Maybe not, but it gives an indication. But feel free to disregard it, ianwood.

The new motor is definitely better than the old. A whole lot quieter and averaging 3 extra minutes. I'm glad I waited and ordered direct from DJI.

Mechanical construction of the rotor of the new motor is much better, Its so visual. Its bound to give better efficiency.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4