Flight time on battey dropping already 16m WTF?

Reaction score
Hey this is a ? to any one thats got a lot of flight in on the p3 already as to what kind of flight times you are getting???? When I was breaking in my battery and only flying it down to about 50% for the first 10 flights I was getting a good 10-12mins. The last night I went and flew for about 15mins and some change and it took me down to 7% Which at first I thought was some how just a fluke. But I just got in from another flight today and with a fully charged battery I was keeping it real close when it was down to about 20% and then brought her in for a landing and by the time I was down and shut off the props I was at 8% and got 15:49 flight time. Which just dont seem right. and my battery must already be crapping out with only about 14 charge cycles. Considering I was getting pretty decent time on all the break in flights with 50% giving me about 10-12 minutes.

This is starting to seem like p2 battey deja-vu here. Its also seeming like breaking in the battery by only flying it down to about 50% for the first 10 flights didn't seem to do my battery any good.

Even tho I was skeptical that they would give a full 24mins of flight. But I was expecting that I should be getting at least 20min or so not 15-16mins.

So whats every one else seem to be getting out of a full battery?

I didn't know about the break in period of the battery before I had already flown my first 2 flights down to 20%. I got 15 minutes and 16 minutes consecutively landing at 20% on the dot. It's charging for my 3rd flight now. Pretty weak flight times. I plan on getting 5 more batteries though. DJI always over exaggerates flight times by about 5 minutes.

I am new to the Phantom. I did a few 5 minute flights to get used to the remote control. All my subsequent flights to 20% have lasted only around 15-16 minutes.

If you get actual flight time of around 15 minutes and you have to battery set at 20 percent RTH with that reserve you are doing good.

What seems really odd to me is that Even on one of my bad battery's for my p2 that had lost a lot of capacity I still get 14- 16 mins out of that one and get 20-22 out of my other two p2 battery's that are still good.

and even tho I know dji can and has over stated the expected flight times. They actully even claimed that the p3 battery's unlike the p2s which they sort of admitted were over stated they claimed the p3 should actually give a realistic 22-25 minutes.

and being that when I was flying them down to 50% and getting about 12 minutes on 1/2 a battery I was starting to think that there claim of 22-25 would be reasonable. But it seems very odd to get 12 mins out of a 1/2 a charge but only getting about 3 or 4 mins longer out of the second 1/2 of the battery.

DJI lies.

Yes this is some thing I have come to expect from them. But I should still be getting 20 minutes. and even just got back from a super light non aggressive flight and got 19m and 20 seconds and was down to 6% It also dropped real fast from 10% when it was hovering a few few off the ground and went in to auto land. and just the few seconds it took to hand and shut off seems to of been a fast drop from 10% down to 6% just to get down from about 10 feet in air.

I also noticed that My battery was not showing a full 4480ma any more when I first turned it on after a full charge. and it only had 4230ma. and I know It was showing a full 4480ma the first few flights when I looked to make sure the cell volts and the full capacity was showing right in the battery page of the app.

I didn't know about the break in period of the battery before I had already flown my first 2 flights down to 20%. I got 15 minutes and 16 minutes consecutively landing at 20% on the dot. It's charging for my 3rd flight now. Pretty weak flight times. I plan on getting 5 more batteries though. DJI always over exaggerates flight times by about 5 minutes.

I'm pretty sure the way they measure flight time is to lift the machine off and see how long it will hover at a couple of meters.
Do that and they will stay aloft seemingly forever.

Now that the first thing I am doing as soon as I put in a fully charged battery is to look at the battery info. There is definitely some thing wrong with the battery and its not taking consistent charges even tho it was on all the first break in charges and flights. and now most charges are not putting it back to the full 4480mah and my last flight i did yesterday it actually took more then it should of. and was showing it had 4534mas and 4.32v per cell and that flight gave me 20 minutes. Then I let it cool and recharged it again and it went to 4404ma at full charge.

I know that with the 3 battery's I still have for my p2s the only one that ever gives me vastly inconsistent changes is the 1 out of the 3 that has gone down hill right after about the 14th charge cycle when it stopped giving me a full 20 mins on average and all the sudden dropped down to only giving me about 14-16 mins while the other 2 that are still in perfect condition even tho that have a lot more cycles on them. Them 2 always give me the right amount of mah for the battery's capacity ( or usually at least very close to there full 5200mah and still give me a consistent 20 minutes or more.

I usually figure about 18 minutes flight time going down to 20% 20 minutes stretches it to close for comfort. Let's see what other are getting!

Im getting 14min average on full battery . landing at 25% where is the 23min ??
23 minutes was probably set by DJI hovering, no wind, and running the battery down to 10%. 14 to 16 minutes under flight is usually the average.

I always turn the battery on for the last 5 to 10 percent of the charge . It seems to help top them off . Before I started doing this I was getting 97% full but if I turn the battery on and charge it once it gets to 99 -95% , I'm able to get it fully charged to 100%.

Can I check my flight log online somewhere, or do I need to use the tablets where I have GO installed? When I log into DJI/skypixel web page, it only give me my referral credits and it doesn't show my flight logs...

But basically, I fly to the first 30% warning and get 16-17:30 if I change altitude a bit.... up and down... IIRC, I did cross the 20 minute mark flying a little below 30% and just gently flying forward, no altitude changes.

On my P2, I could get 20 minutes if I took my gimbal and camera off. With aftermarket gimbal and gopro, it is around 14 minutes. For some P2 numbers,click on the video and look at the description.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen