Flight Simulation for Phantom

Reaction score
My son and I just order a Phantom 2, with Zunmuse gimbal.

It will arrive next week. While we will begin using it in open/relatively safe spaces, from what I've read/seen, many suggest training with flight simulator.

We're wondering if there is an app/utility program that will allow us to train with the stock RC controller to speed our learning curve without the expense/delay/hassle of physical repairs?

Thanks in advance for considering this query from newbies (in Portland, OR).

T.J. and Adlai Hester

drwhimsy said:

It will arrive next week. While we will begin using it in open/relatively safe spaces, from what I've read/seen, many suggest training with flight simulator.

We're wondering if there is an app/utility program that will allow us to train with the stock RC controller to speed our learning curve without the expense/delay/hassle of physical repairs?

T.J. and Adlai Hester

I live in PDX also...complete newbie....and will fly it with my 11 year old son also...so we can meet up and learn together! Am sure there are more PDX folks on the forum...

drwhimsy said:

T.J. and Adlai Hester

I don't believe that they have such a thing yet. I don't think they will make one because a Quadcoptor is supposed to be easy to fly even for newbies!

Heli-X is a simulator that works on PC, Mac and Linux. Its reasonably cheap and there is a free trial. You can check my other posts for details on the sim.

It will not work with the supplied Tx but any old PS3 controller will get you flying it and it is more than enough to allow you to become a very experienced pilot.

Hey that Heli-X sim works pretty good I think I have only crashed a 1300 times and in a mater of seconds I'm back at it again. Thanks.

For a bit more than cost of software simulators, Phoenix is $79, you can by a cheap RC quad which gives a better experience. Blade mQX or others are small and crash resistant, can fly inside without issues of wind and rain, and are a great learning tool for the delicate sensitivity of quads.

Roadkilt said:
For a bit more than cost of software simulators, Phoenix is $79, you can by a cheap RC quad which gives a better experience. Blade mQX or others are small and crash resistant, can fly inside without issues of wind and rain, and are a great learning tool for the delicate sensitivity of quads.

I agree that mini quads are very useful as a training aid and I have bought myself a Hubsanx4. However they are themselves susceptible to damage, they still need to be charged, flights are sub 10 minutes at a time and they are not ideal for your initial training for nose in training etc. The biggest advantage they do offer though is the risk of a crash which ensures that you concentrate.

I think the simulator represents much more value for money. Of course though you have to use it realistically. Anyone can fly a quad or helicopter in a sim if all they do is apply power and dash about the sky. If you do that in a sim you will find it quickly becomes boring. No, to get the maximum value from a sim you need self discipline. DJI supply a pilot training guide that has a number of useful exercises to master which will massively increase your chances of successful flights. All of these can be mastered in the simulator. Instead of flying for ten minutes or less with a quad, you can fly for hours if you want, perfecting these skills to where they become second nature.

I am not against the mini quads they are great fun. However for people new to the hobby I say save your money on a mini quad and invest that in a simulator, any simulator that you like the look of. I only bang on about hell-x because it has a good phantom model which helps train your visual orientation skills as well. Flying a model that does not look like the phantom can't really help your recognition.

Last but not least I would not throw too much money at a simulator unless you can afford to. Your skills are going to improve very quickly indeed and therefore your going to move over to flying the real thing more and more.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Roadkilt said:

I agree that mini quads are very useful as a training aid and I have bought myself a Hubsanx4. However they are themselves susceptible to damage, they still need to be charged, flights are sub 10 minutes at a time and they are not ideal for your initial training for nose in training etc. The biggest advantage they do offer though is the risk of a crash which ensures that you concentrate.

I think the simulator represents much more value for money. Of course though you have to use it realistically. Anyone can fly a quad or helicopter in a sim if all they do is apply power and dash about the sky. If you do that in a sim you will find it quickly becomes boring. No, to get the maximum value from a sim you need self discipline. DJI supply a pilot training guide that has a number of useful exercises to master which will massively increase your chances of successful flights. All of these can be mastered in the simulator. Instead of flying for ten minutes or less with a quad, you can fly for hours if you want, perfecting these skills to where they become second nature.

I am not against the mini quads they are great fun. However for people new to the hobby I say save your money on a mini quad and invest that in a simulator, any simulator that you like the look of. I only bang on about hell-x because it has a good phantom model which helps train your visual orientation skills as well. Flying a model that does not look like the phantom can't really help your recognition.

Last but not least I would not throw too much money at a simulator unless you can afford to. Your skills are going to improve very quickly indeed and therefore your going to move over to flying the real thing more and more.

I agree and I also have a mini (Syma X1), for what I paid for it. It is doing its job, but as I improve my skills in this hobby. Like FPV which as far as I am concerned it is a good way to get the "Money Shot" by allowing me to practice the moves repeatedly until I get it just the way I want it. Then go out and try for real. Beside that I can fly very aggressively crash and try it again until I get it right. A simulator will never replace real flying, but it is also very forgiving, and can improve my moves in a very short time. I have very much gotten my money's worth out of using a simulator.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Heli-X is a simulator that works on PC, Mac and Linux. Its reasonably cheap and there is a free trial. You can check my other posts for details on the sim.

It will not work with the supplied Tx but any old PS3 controller will get you flying it and it is more than enough to allow you to become a very experienced pilot.
What can I use for a controller since I don't have a PS3 controller, in fact I've never even played a video game also it doesn't have sticks.
Also what patch cord to use to connect to my Mac?

I've been flying a Blade 350 with a fixed Gopro, but my new P2 with gimble is a whole new ballgame.

In Utopia said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

What can I use for a controller since I don't have a PS3 controller, in fact I've never even played a video game also it doesn't have sticks.
Also what patch cord to use to connect to my Mac?

I've been flying a Blade 350 with a fixed Gopro, but my new P2 with gimble is a whole new ballgame.

Have a look at the thread in my signature and any others linked in it. You will see what other people are using.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers