Flight Restrictions

Reaction score
I just bought my Phantom 3 Standard a week ago. I live in Arkansas which I believe has some of the most restrictions compared to other states. Reading through the FAA regulations is a bit confusing to me on certain topics. It is almost impossible to find areas that is not private property such as farms and ranches or even just open fields. It is my understanding that you can not fly over any private property without consent. My question is, where can I legally fly? Maybe I am misinterpreting the rules. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

It is my understanding that you can not fly over any private property without consent.
Please post a link to the information you're referencing.

What FAA regulations specifically? Are there local class B or C Airports nearby? Temporary Flight restrictions?

I live outside of Minneapolis. Outside of KMSP (class b airport south of The Twin Cities) and a couple Class C airports, most areas are open to fly in

The closet Class C to me is KLIT in Little Rock but I am over 20 miles from it. I have a few Class D's including LRAFB within 15 miles. The rest are all private fields scattered all over. There are no open TFR's in my area. I am a licensed private pilot so I am very familiar with sectionals. Finding areas that is not private property around me is virtually impossible. I was not sure if Class E airspace without TFR's was suitable to fly in if there is private land in the area.

I have also been told that if you are not deliberately filming specific areas of private property, that a drone is no different than a common airplane flying overhead, since the passengers on the plane would have the same view. In other words, if a person could not expect privacy from the air by plane, they should not expect privacy in the air by drone unless the drone pilot is specifically targeting their property for surveillance. Not sure if this information is accurate.

Flights over private property are recommendations, not regulations. Common sense prevails. At 150+ feet, no one is going to really notice you. To me 150<X<400 feet is the sweet spot to fly. Not low enough to bother folks, but below the recommended max altitude to stay out of aircraft harms way. Of course, you will want to avoid the NFZs around airports and other prohibited areas (correctional facilities,etc), but other than that, if you avoid flying over crowds of people, stadiums, etc, you should be fine.

Reactions: BigAl07
Also, call the small fbo's and let them know if you're within their airspace. Let them know where and when.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj