Flight nerves

Reaction score
Just wondering.
Do even experienced pilots get nervous with every flight?
I still do. Even though I fly over bare mountains with NO people or houses I still get nervous.
Mind you seeing the birds of prey up here being chased and attacked by crows and magpies doesn't help!

I still get nervous, usually on a long distance run, people or not you don't want to see your drone go down! It's a very shitty feeling

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Wibble
Doesn't sound much fun if you are that nervous. What are you worried about the most, loss of the Phantom or damage to property etc?

Doesn't sound much fun if you are that nervous. What are you worried about the most, loss of the Phantom or damage to property etc?

Loss of the P3 of course!
Also though low flying aircraft scare me. Chinooks often fly lower than my house but a P3 isn't going to hurt one of those!
I am not THAT nervous but it is always such a relief to hear the demented buzzing as she comes back after a 3 mile flight!

Reactions: dtviewer
Not much to hit where I fly!

Attachments

• remote.jpg
    remote.jpg
    928.9 KB · Views: 610
I guess you could buy insurance if you are nervous about losing it. I never worry about the loss of the Phantom, I'm more concerned of the damage it might do which is certainly not an issue you have there. Looks awesome.

I'm always a little nervous when I first get a new device but after a few flights confidence builds and for me and the Phantom the best thing I did was buy a Yuneec Typhoon H as once I had that the Phantom became a bit more 'disposable'. I think the same happened when I hd the P2 and ordered a P3.

So maybe the secret is to buy two!

It might be the secret is buying two. I haven't done that yet though and I really want to so I can stress less about losing my only one. I still get some nerves a bit when I fly. I think it keeps you on your toes. You never know when these things will throw you a curve ball. I've gained a lot of confidence in my ability to fly and correct most odd situations, but there's always a little angst before and during a flight. A good thing, I think.

Much less so with the P3 than earlier Vision Plus
Once that was almost out of sight you often wondered if it would ever be seen again - and way to often video feed would drop out so you were flying blind briefly.
With hindsight that adrenaline and mild fear was probably part of setting up the addiction.

I fly professionally and have done for a few years but still get them nerves ha. My no 1 advice is adopt a good lanyard or brace for the controller and adopt the pinch position when on controls. The P3 range gives A LOT more confidence than previous tech. I still fly a bigger s800 evo and the nerves it instills because of size still gets me ha

Flying that $1000 bill still makes me nervous. I try to be safe but I know one day it will crash due to motor/pilot/etc failure.

...but I have already got plenty of good footage for my money...

I use my P3 advanced for professional and personal use. Sometimes multiple flights at multiple locations per day. If I can offer any advice is always do a good preflight routine so you can have all the confidence before take off. I have witnessed people who do not do the required reading and research before that first flight and think they can just automatically be a pilot then scratch their heads as to why UAV flew off never to be seen again or went out of range to crash.
My personal checklist before flights - phone/battery powers are maxed, firmware is up to date, gimbal and prop check, home point has been updated to correct location and IMU is properly calibrated and finally return to home has properly set parameters.
If there is a problem DON'T PANIC - once in metro Toronto my P3 all of a sudden was flying away from me as fast as it could go and I had lost complete control. I quickly shut down the controller and DJI app - turned controller back on and launched app and was able to regain control but I could barely see the P3 it was so far away. One last thing I NEVER fly without line of site if I can help it.

I don't get nervous other than for people or property near by. I worry about their safety in terms of "anything can happen". But nervous over flying in general? Nope!!!

I enjoy my drone. If it crashes or is lost - BUY A NEW ONE!

Thats not the place for a FLYING CAMERA ! lol :)

There is one thing to look at - the only manmade object in miles!
Better than any windfarm - gas pumping station. I remember all the protesters complaining about the gas pipeline. There is NO sign of it anywhere unlike **** windfarms!!!

Attachments

• gasman.jpg
    gasman.jpg
    653.1 KB · Views: 375
I still get nervous but much less than I used to. Why do it? The thrill of victory!
Im a little less nervous .... but only because my first p3a cost £1200 new. I sold it because I couldn't stand the nerves of potentially trashing it or losing it on each flight. Since the recent price drop to £600 I bought a new one and find it a lot less nerve racking!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers