Flight Modes

Reaction score
New user awaiting arrival of a P3 Adv. I've been watching so many video and reading everything available my head is spinning. Seriously though one thing I can not find a straight answer on is while in F-mode is GPS and Vision Positioning available? Or is this basically Atti mode with advanced feature controls? I know A-mode (attitude) does not use either of the 2 stabilization methods but have not found if F-mode uses them. I tend to think F-mode would use the 2 stabilization methods otherwise A-mode wouldn't make any sense having it's existence. People could just use F-mode and don't use the advanced IOC features it offers. Newb must be missing something.

I don't plan on jumping right into those features anyway. I just want the best full understanding I can have and slowly work my skills up with patients.

I do have a few other questions if anyone care to be of assistance and thank you very much.

Welcome. Great place to meet people and get great advice. I like it here!!!

F-mode is for waypoints, point of interest, follow me, etc... it uses GPS and VPS, thats how it finds its way around in this mode.

does that answer your first question?

wow that was quick...sure did answer my question. I knew about the POI, etc the F-mode has I just couldn't find anything saying if it used those 2 stabilization methods or not. A-mode clearly said everywhere it did not use either stabilization. Thank you for confirming that.

Hope you don't mind my next question, however ignorant it may seem since I do not even have the P3 in hand yet. So I was also looking into understanding the "Home Point" and how this can be reset if needed. Of course my luck turned up all sort of stuff on youtube for older Phantoms toggle of the S1 switch I think it was like 5 times. From what I did read on the P3 it sounded like the "H" icon in the DJI Go app can be used, but could not find a good explanation. I think you can even set this to Dynamic? It user manual just said to use the icon for "Dynamic Home Point" but seemed vague in explaining it. Here's a good example of a case I may, or may not, some day be skilled and comfortable enough to try. We own a boat. Flying off a boat and we move, that old Home point sounds useless so needs to be reset. The current alone will drift us. Then how does Home Point alter if one uses "Follow Me"? If connection gets lost during follow me what does it believe the Home Point to be?

It user manual just said to use the icon for "Dynamic Home Point" but seemed vague in explaining it. Here's a good example of a case I may, or may not, some day be skilled and comfortable enough to try. We own a boat. Flying off a boat and we move, that old Home point sounds useless so needs to be reset. The current alone will drift us. Then how does Home Point alter if one uses "Follow Me"? If connection gets lost during follow me what does it believe the Home Point to be?
The P3 doesn't realy have dynamic home point like the P2 did. That would keep updating as you moved.
On the P3 what gets referred to as dynamic homepoint just allows you to reset home to the current location of the controller (if you have a GPS enabled phone or tablet)
For boating, you could reset several times to keep the recorded home point close.
Or if you are near a safe shore perhaps reset home to a safe point on land.

If you use follow-me, home point should work just like it does no land - not ideal for a moving boat.
Whatever you do on a moving boat, you have to exercise a little extra caution beyond what landlubbers have to.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> not ideal for a moving boat.
Whatever you do on a moving boat, you have to exercise a little extra caution beyond what landlubbers have to.
AND highly recommend you have some flotation on your Phantom! :rolleyes:

Appreciate the responses!

I've seen I few videos demonstrating the "Follow Me" function but none of them address what happens with the "Home Point" when this feature is used. Does it adjust in anyway at all? Or say if you ride your bike 5 minutes away and connection gets lost does the P3 return to the point it took flight 5 minutes away? I would hope not but it sounds like if you do not reset it then it will. I would think the RC would become a dynamic home point but it's already been said the P3 doesn't really have dynamic home point so this is a little confusing what exactly happens, and ya it could be real ugly on a moving boat.

Thank you for mentioning the flotation issue. I had wondered about this as I use to fly RC planes years ago and had pontoons to fly off water. I don't think I'd want to fly off water but as a precautionary measure it would be nice to have.

I think allot of this I will actually be able to answer myself once the unit arrives here on 2-29 as my first adventure is nothing but simulator...lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr