Flight Log help

Reaction score
I recently had a crash when I was landing my drone (P3P) and a low battery warning caused the RTH to kick in. I had updated (or thought) RTH during the flight. I had been flying in the front yard and was landing it about 30 feet away from where it took off. Anyway, when the RTH kicked in, the drone went from about 3 feet off the ground, straight up, hitting the eve of my house and crashing down. The gimbal broke off at the mounting plate and the motor started squealing. I could not get the aircraft to shut off and I had to turn off the battery to get it to stop. I replaced the the gimbal mount and inspected the inside. Nothing looked visibly damaged.

When I tried to start the motors I received the ESC error so I also checked the motors. One of the motors (which had a propeller break) feels really rough in one spot if I turn it. I think that it is most likely the motor, but I'm afraid to change the motor myself (voiding the warranty) in fear that it could be the Main Board. Attached is my flight log, I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance as to what the probability is that it's just a motor versus the ESC?

Thanks in advance! From what I've read there is a lot of great knowledge on this site!

Attachments

• FLY023.log.txt
    12.1 KB · Views: 450
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news however while it seems at least one motor has issues it is usually the ESC that drops its load in a locked rotor scenario. You have already had the lid off so I would get motors in (cheap compared to main board) and replace them first. If the error persists get a main board.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news however while it seems at least one motor has issues it is usually the ESC that drops its load in a locked rotor scenario. You have already had the lid off so I would get motors in (cheap compared to main board) and replace them first. If the error persists get a main board.
Thanks for your reply! My concern with doing that is that it would void the warranty because if it is a board I want to send it back to DJI because it appears that the home point did not update as it should have during the flight and see if they will take responsibility for at least part of the damage. It is a horrible thing to watch the bird shoot up and crash when just five seconds earlier it was about to land.

You would need to check the flight log (the text file above isn't it) but it's possible RTH was working as expected. RTH will go to the height set in the RTH settings, even if that happens to be higher than it's current altitude and below an obstacle

There are a few issues to consider here. The first and most obvious being that on any occasion where you are approaching low battery in flight you should expect RTH will initiate. If you are within a 20m radius of the recorded home point the AC will land, outside 20m it will attempt to ascend to the preset RTH height before flying home. If the AC was greater than 20m from the home point the outcome here was as should be expected. I suggest you upload the flight log to healthy drones and/or phantom help in the first instance so you have something to progress your discussions with DJI.

What version of the go app were you flying with?

The file you have attached is not the preferred file that the guys in this site usually interrogate. There is a link that hopefully someone will attach for you to use to upload the phantom view file that is much more specific than the one you have sent through. Despite that, I can see your RTH action followed by 'esc is stall' which suggests that With The Birds is bang on with his summary. He usually is.
As for your RTH settings, this will be indicated in the preferred file format noted earlier.

Thanks everyone! Just to clarify, when I use the DAT file to create the text of the flight log is it the config file that is more useful? or am I still not close?

Attachments

• FLY023.config.txt
    51.7 KB · Views: 447
Hi, sign up to Healthydrones.com (free) - download the HD sync app, follow the instructions on healtydrones. This will allow you sync from DJI GO to a format that gives good info

Ive synched my flight data with HD but can't find where to export the text file or maybe I have to convert the csv file? While I work on getting the flight log in the correct format, here is what I'm seeing..... It does not look like my home point was updated.
upload_2017-2-22_19-10-33.png

in the log file after the crash everything seems to be okay until I attempt to start the AC and see this:
upload_2017-2-22_19-40-23.png

does anyone know if this is indicating an error with the motor or is is the ESC?

Ive synched my flight data with HD but can't find where to export the text file or maybe I have to convert the csv file? While I work on getting the flight log in the correct format, here is what I'm seeing..... It does not look like my home point was updated.
View attachment 76887
Simply open the log and click the green button top right corner...
IMG_2085.PNG

Though it is true if smartRTH is enabled that RTH is triggered at a certain charge level, you should have 10 seconds to cancel. I usually am close to home with safe landing locations when I get to the smartRTH that I usually cancel and continue to fly for the remaining 10% or so before reaching critical. Low Battery warning level, which is at 30% by default does not trigger RTH.
Critical low battery would have it land, not RTH.
Hopefully the driver transistors are not blown on the main board.
The stuck motor might just have dirt in it which you might be able to free up and get out.
I too have had difficulty shutting down the motors after a crash and it has flipped upside down on the ground. Others feel I might not have allowed 3 seconds in CSC to stop them.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ok, so the AC was 22m from the home point when the low battery RTH initiated. Expected behaviour.

Your home point is recorded as the middle of the road. Presumably, as you were attempting to land, you had moved from the original launch point (you could see the AC from where you were standing).

How did you reset the home point (or at least try to). Was it set to aircraft, user or dynamic. Does your IOS device have cellular service (inbuilt GPS receiver).

Did you see a new home point recorded?

To the extent you can't demonstrate an issue with the home point updating I suspect you have very slim chances with DJI for any warranty coverage.

Thanks With the Birds and DanMan32! I appreciate the info. With this I think info in mind I think I'll pass on sending it to DJI and try replacing the motors myself first. The only reason why I was considering sending it to DJI was in hopes they were generous with their warranty but doesn't seem like that will be the case. The flight log doesn't show any RTH updates until after the crash. The AC was making some serious squealing so I'm really hoping that new motors will do the trick. If not, I guess I'll be replacing the MB.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31