Flight ideal conditions?

Reaction score
I attempted to fly this evening in my driveway when it was somewhat dark excluding my driveway flood lights. I crashed really hard into a tree that eventually forced the drone to faceplant hard breaking apart the white cushion thingy (3 of them). AMAZING how DJI created this drone to withstand hard crashes, amazing! I was scared because I only got this almost 10 hours ago only to see $1,200 go down the drain when it crashed. Thanks DJI! I'm going to try again tomorrow but instead do it at my local park haha.

Now onto my question here...what are ideal flight conditions? I am not sure exactly how much wind can impact a drone to a point where the overall flight can be altered due to the wind beyond the user's control. I presume excessive fog would have an impact also.

Other than that, the drone is AWESOME. Really excited about this purchase. Will definitely need to buy more batteries. I look forward to getting to know you all from this point on.

-A

Oh and if someone can take a picture of the screws used to tighten the iPhone mount, that would be great. Oh and a picture of where it is supposed to sit on the frame would be nice too. Seems like the screws that came in the box does not fit the holes so I don't know what's going on.

Post above me, are you being sarcastic? :lol:

Ideal flight conditions? I would say when it's light and far away from tree's. :lol: Since you're new, I would only fly with little or no wind at first. The Phantom can handle a good breeze but only in the hands of a good pilot. Bottom line... pick a wide open field with no tree's, during the day with no wind. You should also read as much on this forum as you can. ;)

Not sure what you mean by "white cushion thingy".

You're correct. My apologies! Ambien was just starting to kick in as I typed the OP....wanted to get a thread in before I went to bed for the night! Good luck to you all with your Phantom and different cameras excluding onboard. I shall see you all around the forums , take care! Oh as for the wind conditions..we have 25+mph winds for today and tomorrow so right now it's looking like I will fly on Saturday instead!

DesertFlyer53 said:
Ideal flight conditions? I would say when it's light and far away from tree's. :lol: Since you're new, I would only fly with little or no wind at first. The Phantom can handle a good breeze but only in the hands of a good pilot. Bottom line... pick a wide open field with no tree's, during the day with no wind. You should also read as much on this forum as you can. ;)

Obviously!! Today and tomorrow we have 25+ mph winds so I'm not too comfortable flying the drone even in an open field of grass. I've been reading up a lot....and to be frank with you, most of the information I read here just blows my mind. I'm not so savvy like you all with your custom transmitters and whatnot. So it will take me some time to learn about the basics of RC technology. The video part that requires editing, that's the easy part. Hopefully I will be able to install a custom range extender that helps the drone fly really high like other drones I've seen here on the forum (videos mostly with some threads that only lists technical info). Amazing stuff for sure

PinkFloyd4Runner said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

Obviously!! Today and tomorrow we have 25+ mph winds so I'm not too comfortable flying the drone even in an open field of grass. I've been reading up a lot....and to be frank with you, most of the information I read here just blows my mind. I'm not so savvy like you all with your custom transmitters and whatnot. So it will take me some time to learn about the basics of RC technology. The video part that requires editing, that's the easy part. Hopefully I will be able to install a custom range extender that helps the drone fly really high like other drones I've seen here on the forum (videos mostly with some threads that only lists technical info). Amazing stuff for sure

Welcome aboard! I am relatively new to the Phantom platform also, although I've flown fixed wing RC aircraft for many years. That might not be a good thing however, since I'm learning that a quadcopter fly's and handles MUCH different than a fixed wing aircraft. I'm having to unlearn some things. I spent about a month lurking on this forum before my first flight. It really helped a lot! Good luck and take it slow. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20