Flight guidelines.

In the US, the airport traffic area is 5 mile radius from a tower controlled airport. Also it extends up to 3000' AGL. I'm not talking TCA's here just simple airport traffic areas. In the US, I think our quads (with updated software) will not take off in the ATA. If you have older software, you could contact the tower and ask for permission. Be prepared to provide the max altitude you intend, your exact location, time of operations and speed of the aircraft. They might also want a phone contact, just in case

David DJI H said:
Hi again IrishSights... (Wish I knew your name)?

So, tonight, weather was dry, cloudy but nice.
I went to a local village, near a lake and took off from a deserted public country footpath.
I filmed over the lake at two churches, one if which I had permission to do as I wish..
No people, until 15 mins later, then a couple came walking nearby, I could see they were pretending to look across the lake etc.. but I was being 'eyed up' so to speak. I was packing up and walked past and said hello, but, these flying cameras certainly attract attention even in the middle of nowhere.

I don't suppose there is a question in the above paragraph but, as a 55 year old codger, I would like to know the full 'ins and outs'.
I fancy going to my local towns and film historical buildings and ruins from old, but, as it is in a park, public, but not particularly busy, I suppose that needs permission from a local council to take off, which I doubt would be granted..

I ain't been stopped in the countryside in my locality area yet, but I am sure everyone knows it me with the phantom. :)

Had it for about 3 weeks now, and loving it to bits!

I've got some great still photos of the area and the thatched roof church though...

really glad you're enjoying the Phantom. The "full in's and outs" are pretty easy to find from a "legal" standpoint. Just go and look up CAP722, ANO2009 (sections 166 & 167). It's all about common sense and minimising the possibility of confrontation. If you become conversant with the legality of the hobby then when asked you can confidently explain to others why, what you are doing is permissible.

I'm sure the church would appreciate a copy of the images too :)

enjoy your flights

Bmews

usaken said:
In the US, the airport traffic area is 5 mile radius from a tower controlled airport. Also it extends up to 3000' AGL. I'm not talking TCA's here just simple airport traffic areas. In the US, I think our quads (with updated software) will not take off in the ATA. If you have older software, you could contact the tower and ask for permission. Be prepared to provide the max altitude you intend, your exact location, time of operations and speed of the aircraft. They might also want a phone contact, just in case

...but DJI's website shows two of the categories of USA airports for which there are different no-fly zones by Categories A and B: http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

For example, in my area, SFO (San Francisco) is Category A and has a much larger no-fly or restricted-fly zone than SJO (San Jose), which is but Category B.

Inexplicably, roughly between SFO and SJO there are three or four airports, which the DJI website does not even mention.

Ok edited with some of the suggestions.

Flying guidelines.

-Obey all legal directions if police speak with you

-Operate in line of sight and only at daylight.

-400 ft /120 metres altitude limit in most areas of most countries.(Check the relevant regulations.)

-Maintain 30 metres from people or property.

-Avoid hovering over people or property(don't follow people it will most likely agitate them flypast them if you need them in your footage)

- Don't fly where you could distract people into an accident.(Ie over roads, construction sites etc)

-Be aware of the possibility of spooking livestock/wildlife.

- Don't operate within 5.5KM of an airport

I think you forgot one:

- Put your entire setup in your closet and never use it again because everything that was fun about the hobby has now been regulated into ridiculousness.

Look, I know how to be safe and I don't need you to define it for me. I also regularly go 10 miles over the speed limit when driving.

I'm a mature adult and know how to properly assess risk, OK?

Grow up mate I'm not laying down the law for anyone and it seems you missed the whole point or have not read the entire list of posts. Youve just succesfully shown how imature you really are. Keep up the good work and enjoy the company of the others in my ignore list.

golgotha said:
I think you forgot one:

- Put your entire setup in your closet and never use it again because everything that was fun about the hobby has now been regulated into ridiculousness.

Look, I know how to be safe and I don't need you to define it for me. I also regularly go 10 miles over the speed limit when driving.

I'm a mature adult and know how to properly assess risk, OK?
One of the most childish posts I've seen in a while.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers