Flight about nothing

Reaction score
I usually post videos about something and they sink like a stone with no replies. Maybe a flight about nothing will change my luck, although I doubt it!

I don't know if it something to do with my 'RUBBISH' broadband service or what you have presented?.the first part of your presentation seem clearer, what were the settings you used for the various parts of your film, were they actually the same or did you change them?

You will see some excellent videos here, and you'll see some very bad ones. The best ones, naturally, tend to be filmed in beautiful and/or interesting places by people who have obviously practiced a good deal and may have even read about cinematography. You will recognize them by very smooth transitions and panning. The clips are not overly long, and the overall video is not too long. For most of us, our first efforts are not too good. You can expect improvement with a lot of practice.

Reactions: DAVEJF
I don't know if it something to do with my 'RUBBISH' broadband service or what you have presented?.the first part of your presentation seem clearer, what were the settings you used for the various parts of your film, were they actually the same or did you change them?
It's probably your broad band. Nothing changed from beginning to end. Thanks for watching!

You will see some excellent videos here, and you'll see some very bad ones. The best ones, naturally, tend to be filmed in beautiful and/or interesting places by people who have obviously practiced a good deal and may have even read about cinematography. You will recognize them by very smooth transitions and panning. The clips are not overly long, and the overall video is not too long. For most of us, our first efforts are not too good. You can expect improvement with a lot of practice.
I like nice places to film too. This area I flew earlier this summer was fun to do.

I like nice places to film too. This area I flew earlier this summer was fun to do.
I'd be happy to give you some pointers if you are looking for some. Send me a note at the address below.

As a general rule, anything above 2 minutes better be darn splendid for people to watch it till the end. People value their time and the first thing they look at when the video starts playing is the total time. Anything above 3 minutes and people will start off with a an unfavorable impression of the video.

We edit aerial videos that last 2 minutes and go through hours and hours of footage to select from. If you only have one subject to film (your lighthouse for example) you should be able to convey everything you need in less than a minute.

I loved your concept of "flight about nothing". Really funny, and that has triggered responses here as well.

Cheers

I'd be happy to give you some pointers if you are looking for some. Send me a note at the address below.

As a general rule, anything above 2 minutes better be darn splendid for people to watch it till the end. People value their time and the first thing they look at when the video starts playing is the total time. Anything above 3 minutes and people will start off with a an unfavorable impression of the video.

We edit aerial videos that last 2 minutes and go through hours and hours of footage to select from. If you only have one subject to film (your lighthouse for example) you should be able to convey everything you need in less than a minute.

I loved your concept of "flight about nothing". Really funny, and that has triggered responses here as well.

Cheers
Thanks for watching. I understand what you're saying but keep in mind there are different levels of film going on with this, so film critique, no matter how tempting it is to do, needs to be balanced with the arena you're in. What I edit for a pro video would be vastly different from what I do with my personal flights, and my personal lighthouse video had 8 minutes of video hit the cutting room floor. I could see more trims looking at it as well. I've edited videos for others and strongly recommend they be trimmed down to 2:30 or under but it's their film in the end. Frankly, I feel aerial video alone is limited. Cutaways to ground, etc- a balance of all perspectives is what makes it compelling. I'll venture to say that a one minute video can be a yawn too. Less time doesn't automatically make a video more watchable. It's just less time to be bored, lol. You generally have 10 seconds or less to hold the viewer. I'm tough to hold with drone video. What keeps me watching a little longer is a quality looking film. What keeps me hanging in a bit more is the absence of some of the more common nauseating, spinning flights. What I click off of rapidly is poor music to picture match.

But of course it's content, period. That, and marketing. I'd say marketing even more so to at least get a viewing. Understand, I have posted just about every flight I've done with the phantom here and almost none of them has even gotten one reply. I knew this one would, though. Why? Because of the thread titled a film about nothing. It's catchy- my nod to Larry David and Seinfeld. It won't be one I watch much, myself. I almost didn't record during the flight. I almost didn't make a meager edit of it and post it. But, and this goes back to what I said, this is a certain level here. It's fun, not the independent film awards. I'm in pro audio too. Every time I record a sound, play a note on stage, fly a film with my drone and edit a film, I learn something. It's the imperfection that keeps you chasing perfection. And yeah, the two minute rule that's easy to throw out there is a good one. Just be careful the two minutes you keep is the crap and all the gold hits the floor. It's an art and you need an eye for it. People can bail out of my 4 minute vids- no problem. Plenty like 'em. It's fun to look back on for myself, too. I'm not in this for 120 second memories- not at the cost and the risk!

Thanks for watching my nose forward, fluff video of a flight about nothing, lol!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1