Flickering when using Hero 3 on Phantom

Reaction score
I recently bought a DJI Phantom to use with my GoPro Hero3, but the image is spoiled with some sort of flickering, especially when flying towards the sun.

Please see this video as an example: https://vimeo.com/67463921

I have tried to wrap the camera in tinfoil to see if is was due to electromagnetic interference, but it didn't help.

The Phantom is assembled according to the instructions video with the compass positioned on the landing gear away from the kamera. It makes no difference whether or not the camera is in the original holder or ind a GoPro-holder. I have tried different resolutions and frames per second with no difference.

I find it peculiar, that noone has mentioned the flickering in any forum - I seem to be the only one experience that problem?

Any ideas?

That would be the shadow of the propellors going over the lens area. Because the gopro doesn't feature a lens hood the sun shines directly on it. With a high sun there's a good chance the shadows of the props come over the lens area. It can be avoided by flying earlier or later in the day. It could also help to use a polarizer in front of the lens.

[edit] the more the camera faces towards the sun, the greater the risk of this flicker

TVPopta is dead right, the props cause nasty flickering and even strobing if the sun is in the wrong place. My solution is to fix a piece of thin black plastic on top of the gopro housing, using velcro, so it acts like a lens shade. I have the lcd screen for my gopro, which makes setting it up easier, but if you let the plastic stick out in front of the case by about an inch, and test the result, if it shows in frame, trim it shorter. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the suggestion about the shade - I tried to make a shade out of thick black paper and placing it over camera. It did seem to have some effect, but the problem didn't disappear completely as shown in this video:

https://vimeo.com/67721487

photoweb

You have most of it cleared up, but you can still see a lens flare in the lower right corner which means there is still some prop and sun exposure. But a great improvement, I'd say. Have you tried adusting the camera angle?

Kent

Sorry it said I was not logged in when I put up my reply so if I posted twice I apologize. But if I were you I would test out tilting the gopro down a bit on the gimble. Its going to change perspective of the shot but when you are high up enough you cant really notice. I ran into the same problem as you and one day when I was shooting I noticed on my shot that the lines were there then I did a tilt down on the gimble and they disappeared give it a try and let us know how it worked for you. Also is anyone using the gopro hoods they are selling on amazon for like 20.00?

I've heard a neutral density filter does the trick, but I've no first hand experience of it working.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr