Flickering/tablet discussion

Reaction score
Hello all glad I found this board/app I've learned a few things here.. So let me start by saying im not a pro drone flier I just picked up a ps3 standard 4k..i started with a simulator Phoenix to be exact and flew on there for a good month before buying a used 2 vision+ so I knew how to fly and didn't crash right away... I quickly traded up for the ps3 4k and if I could of afford it would of went pro... Now to my questions...

1. ) while flying it seems I'm not getting much range at all before my phone (s7) starts flickering and losing range and all starts trying to return to home... Seems like lately the flickering is getting worse.. I'm not on beginner mode it seems I'm getting maybe 300ft up and not even 200ft away before this starts happening.. Am I doing something wrong or is it just to far or that's what I should expect from the standard? Also I did get a range antenna booster doesn't seem to change much.. I also have prop guards I put on to calm some worries..Also could this be that I'm going to high? I'm flying around trees so I always put it up real high to try to avoid them... I'm going to Mexico in a week and been trying to hone some skills before going..

2.) I've been using my s7 phone for flights kinda wanted to use a tablet but had an old one then recently bought a Samsung tab 4 and the flickering and choppy feed was horrible.. Is this tablet just not acceptable to fly with.. Also if not then what is best ie. Does iPad mini 4's or something in comparison better.. Is apple as a whole better to fly with.. I ask because I'm an android guy not a apple fan and honestly I didn't want to dump to to much money into a tablet because I'll hardly use it for anything besides this... Any help with either here would be so awesome.. And sorry if I didn't approach this the right way I figured instead of googling maybe just put it out to my peers here.. Thanks all for reading I'm happy to be joining you guys /girls

I had the short distance for awhile on my P3S . I then uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. Be sure all firm ware is up to date. I had a Note three that did a fabulous job. I wanted a larger tablet, spent the dollar and got a iPad mini 4. I have a P3S & a P4. It seems to operate great on both. The last time I flew my P3 I got 2500 ft. Haven't tried it any further yet. Lots of luck on flying.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm anti apple also and bought a nivdia shield tablet to fly with and it works great. It was 200 dollar's. You can look around on Craig's list list and maybe find a used one. Some of the Samsung tablets work good and some don't. I have 3 different ones and one works good and 2 don't.

Sent from my Shield Tablet using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had similar issues with my P3S, best advice I can give is to get out to a open area away from houses and power lines and try there. That way you can rule out interference, which was my issue. I got an extra 300m just getting away from wifi interference.
I use a Samsung tab s and have no issues with it. In open areas I can get 2km+ with the DBS mod, but around my home I struggle to get 300m.
What booster do you have? Some of the cheaper ones make things worse as they can boost the interference as well..

Last edited:
Also if not then what is best ie. Does iPad mini 4's or something in comparison better.. Is apple as a whole better to fly with.. I ask because I'm an android guy not a apple fan
The best devices are those that are marked as recommended on this list. If you decide to go with a different device, you should be okay in most cases if it matches or exceeds the specs of a recommended device.

Most likely just your video feed, look at the wifi signal on the app. It will only have 1 bar if your lucky. At the same time check your control signal it most likely will still have a couple of bars, meaning although you will have no video feed on your device, and it may even say 'disconnected' you may still have full control of your bird as it uses a different signal to the video feed. 5.7ghz vs 2.4ghz. In theory flying in an open area away from wifi (2.4ghz) you should get better range with your video feed as there is less interference messing with your video. Hope that made sence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers