Flickering in shadows?

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first post and looking for advice.

I recently shot some footage with P34K (50 sec clip attached here with no edits) in the Yorkshire Dales and when I playback I notice some flickering in the shadow areas. It was a bright cloudy day with a lot of contrasting light conditions. It was also pretty windy (around 10 - 15 mph). The camera was set up with 1080p 1920x1080, AWB, no style and no colour affects in MOV format. Also no lens filter.

Anyone have any ideas what is happening and how to fix? Thanks for reading.

Hi all,

My first post and looking for advice.

I recently shot some footage with P34K (50 sec clip attached here with no edits) in the Yorkshire Dales and when I playback I notice some flickering in the shadow areas. It was a bright cloudy day with a lot of contrasting light conditions. It was also pretty windy (around 10 - 15 mph). The camera was set up with 1080p 1920x1080, AWB, no style and no colour affects in MOV format. Also no lens filter.

Anyone have any ideas what is happening and how to fix? Thanks for reading.

Looks to me like prop shadows. You can use a ND filter or a lens shade to help prevent this.

Thanks Blue Bird I was thinking about ND filter to fix sky being blown out. I'm confused why flickering only appears to be confined to the shadows and not on the fields next to the shadows?

Thanks Blue Bird I was thinking about ND filter to fix sky being blown out. I'm confused why flickering only appears to be confined to the shadows and not on the fields next to the shadows?
Prop shadows are common when the sun is at a certain angle in the sky.
Reflection from some clouds can also create a certain glare that can be eliminated with the proper ND filter. I recommend perhaps a 6 or a 8.
Polar Pro has a nice three pack that would most likely suit your needs.

Thanks a lot for your help and recommendation - I will give them a try.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav