Flew over the open sea with P2V

pileosnafu said:
Did you get any push back from the boat operators? How was it working with a moving target, when "home" wasn't the same place as launch

nope, didnt get any push back from them.. in fact they had a lot of questions for me and told me that they just paid USD400 to hire a helicopter to fly for aerial pictures a few weeks back. I knew the boat owners so i gave them some of the aerial pictures that i took so that they can use if for marketing purpose. :)

the "flying home" function will not work because the boats are moving in some shots that i took so the first point it took off would be the blue sea. I flew for about 5 days in total and only came close to losing the P2V on one occasion when it suddenly lost all satellite connection and went crazy. it didnt know its orientation and coupled with strong winds out at sea.. i almost crashed it. if that had happened.. i wont be able to get anything back because the seabed was about 300 metres deep. Thankfully, i managed to keep calm and tried my best to fly the fella back.

Klaus said:
jerms said:
Hi Guys,

A edit of my recent dive trip with the P2V shooting the aerial shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1B6V7CKBKU

hope you guys like it.

Like it???? It's amazing!
Very well done.
You was not afraid of the sharks?

thanks for the comments.. nope... i am not afraid of them unless its the great white or the hammer heads.. the other reef and white tips are pretty harmless... we see about 7 to 10 of them on some dives.

Respect the ocean and it will keep you safe.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Ok so I am going to award you the Shrimpy best underwater film of 2013 !!!! Outstanding production. Huge number of powerful shots all nicely blended with the soundtrack. This is exactly how I plan to use my Phantom once I have fully mastered it. Just use it to include the occasional aerial shot rather than making it the whole feature.

You may have only been flying for a short time but my guess you have been making films for quite a while.

Well done indeed sir!

I am very honored to have the award this year.. i would like to thank my mother.. my father.. my manager.. just kidding.

yeah.. i have been doing production for a long time.. just that i cant bear to invest in a 5DMK2 underwater kit with large strobes so that i can get better footage underwater... but now that i have the Phantom.. i dont think i will consider the underwater kit even....

too many things to travel with.. the Phantom.. my personal items.. my full set of dive gear... its supposed to be a holiday.. lol

pez63 said:
Very nice video... and cool ray too! Very few P2V shots really. Were the underwater shots taken all with Gopro or some special underwater cameras too? I'm guessing at least 3-4 video cameras used in all?

sharp eyes!

there are about 7 to 8 gopros helping out with different shots. a lot of the divers carry personal cameras and the quality is really good nowadays.. so we just round up all the best footage plus the aerial shots and then with a bit of post production..

here you go! the end product.

Excellent video Jerms!! Very well edited. Awesome content too. I swam with some sharks and barracudas down in St Thomas, USVI and my wife freaked out and got back on the boat. Lol. I can't wait to take the PV on a vacation trip.

Scottrod said:
Excellent video Jerms!! Very well edited. Awesome content too. I swam with some sharks and barracudas down in St Thomas, USVI and my wife freaked out and got back on the boat. Lol. I can't wait to take the PV on a vacation trip.

thanks for the comments Scott!

tell your wife.. they are very gentle.. wont bite. :p

please take it with you if you can!

i am heading to Taiwan and Bali in March.. hopefully i can have enough content to put together something when i get back.

jerms said:
Do bring it with you if you can! remember to hand carry the craft if you can. i got a hardcase that is within the cabin bag size and carried it with me on board the plane... cant trust baggage handlers...

Great video... do you mind if I ask which hardcase you have that is within cabin bag size? I'm going to Hawaii this spring and would like my on-order P2V to be my carryon (with the laptop bag as the "small personal item" haha...)

rotation said:
jerms said:
Do bring it with you if you can! remember to hand carry the craft if you can. i got a hardcase that is within the cabin bag size and carried it with me on board the plane... cant trust baggage handlers...

Great video... do you mind if I ask which hardcase you have that is within cabin bag size? I'm going to Hawaii this spring and would like my on-order P2V to be my carryon (with the laptop bag as the "small personal item" haha...)

here you go! i am using this

http://www.helipal.com/carrying-case-fo ... m-big.html

Wow seems really reasonable for $140 but looks real small. Does it have enough room for the props, controller, charger, wifi charger, and an extra battery?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20