Flew over a car crash real quick while stuck in traffic

****. Someone keeps moving the 'goalposts'!

I fly up to 200 feet and fly in a circle and you're comparing that to shooting a gun around? that's a little over dramatic i think. I don't think the fact that I lose sight of my drone makes me a dnagerous flyer, just because there's a suggestion that you should keep it in sight.

I could even argue that flying out of sight is safer. I heard lots of people getting attacked cause crazy people think they're spying on them with their drones or whatever. So if somebody sees me flying over a pool, they might want to start trouble and people get hurt or killed. If the drone comes out of nowhere, there is no trouble to start cause I ain't around. So there. Safer.
I'm comparing your flying out of sight, not being able to see where your plastic and metal object is hurling through space. This is not a law by the FAA but it is a suggestion, one that if not followed can land you in jail or with a fine for endangering an aircraft or safety of someone. You're saying your safety is above the safety of those who could be potentially harmed by your operation of your aircraft. Flying within sight is not for your safety. These rules and suggestions put forth by the FAA have nothing to do with our safety as model aircraft operators, but for protecting those around us. Your safety should be your own issue, but as a model aircraft operator, the people who you could possibly hurt by operating a model aircraft have a much higher priority.

Reactions: N017RW
yeah i know, that's why i'm flying high at like 200 feet. nothing's going to happen up there. this guy i know flies his like right above the trees sometimes, so yeah, i could see his clipping a tree and falling on somebody. but i'm holding out until they come out with better cameras that zoom in real close. then i can fly even higher and be undetected AND be real safe just like you want.

Flying within sight is not for your safety.
btw i wasn't talking about my safety. i meant if somebody came up on me mad for flying around them i'd have to defend myself. people are all paranoid and crazy cause they always think people are spying on them, so no telling what they would do. so that's why its better not to be around where your flying.

Still no sources, just your perception.

Can you give an example of : "the masses clamor for more restrictions".

Where is this information available?

Let's see. I have been flying them for over a two and a half years. When I started, I had the regulations of not near airports. Otherwise, they weren't really given a second thought.

Today, to fly, you have to register with the FAA BEFORE your fly and get a number. Then said number MUST be affixed to the machine where it can be seen without tools.

Gee, I wonder why that happened. Now why did this registration process start? Because the U.S. Government has nothing to do with its time? Or because they were getting too much bad media forcing people to complain to politicians or the FAA who decided this was a good first step?

In the news now, a "drone" crashed into a British Airway jet. What do you think the result of that will be?

Drones increasingly being used for drug drops

'Drone' hits British Airways plane approaching Heathrow Airport - BBC News

It does not matter that these are quad copters. In the public eye, the photo they almost always show is a DJI Phantom of some flavor when someone does something not good or when one crashes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gliding Drone Pilot
Well, I will restate. The media where I live relishes anything that is detrimental to quadcopters in their news reporting.

It is rare to see a good story about the use of a machine, but the misuse (or perceived misuse by the media) is plentiful. And through their reporting, the masses clamor for more restrictions because they believe their "privacy" is in jeopardy from these devices.

Exactly the same principle as Media and Guns! Never there or even care to report about the Guns on peoples Hips that have saved hundreds of lives, Only there to report and widely disseminate the Negative aspect of guns in society.

For the record Pro Gun Australian Vet all the way!
Pro FREEDOM!

Reactions: stitch0852
So after a few weeks of owning a phantom, got stuck in traffic for 15 minutes before I decided to send the drone out of the trunk of my car and see what the hold up was... Caught some crazy footage ... Thoughts? Should I not have recorded this? Legal? Illegal?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I fly these unit just about everyday for two different news stations in my area. A lot of the post here are true and correct. Today I spoke with my local air port before flying to film an accident where a car was overturned with children inside off one of our major hwys. I was given the ok to fly as long as I was not interfering with local law inforcement. However I also could not fly over the accident. My photos and video was shot from the center of the Blvd and I stayed away from oncoming traffic. I did pretty good being I only fly to capture what I can share with the public for broadcast. Phantom3 Professional 4K. I thank all of you here for I've learned to be careful as a licensed and regist
So after a few weeks of owning a phantom, got stuck in traffic for 15 minutes before I decided to send the drone out of the trunk of my car and see what the hold up was... Caught some crazy footage ... Thoughts? Should I not have recorded this? Legal? Illegal?

I didn't see the video. I would say this.. In my opinion the bigger issue is respect and privacy to the persons in the accident. If it were my family and something serious happened I would be put off by a public video memorializing the event. As far as a danger to "everyone" that's a bit overblown unless you were flying directly over the emergency. At any rate I think the flight was ill advised.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
The only respect these idiots on the road deserve is nada, until they slow down and pay attention to driving their deathmobiles. Just sayin'.

blank stare.png

Reactions: MarkEt and grottoli
The only problem with that, "idiots on the road deserve nada" is the person in the collision might be a victim and not the one who caused the collision. An innocent person at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Anyone here ever heard of Live Leaks!? People film accidents and crimes every single day and post it online. Great use of your new P4 OP.

There is such a thing as being a complete jack@ss also. Wouldn't catch me dead uploading any faces of death style material personally. There should be a way to wash someone's brain out with soap. Picture if that was your family involved. Shameful really. Curiosity sure I'd probably fly beside the highway in a gridlock and think I was real clever too. Posting it online is another story completely IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
There is such a thing as being a complete jack@ss also. Wouldn't catch me dead uploading any faces of death style material personally. There should be a way to wash someone's brain out with soap. Picture if that was your family involved. Shameful really. Curiosity sure I'd probably fly beside the highway in a gridlock and think I was real clever too. Posting it online is another story completely IMO.
news do it all the time, so i think its ok. they blur out parts, but you get the idea. once next of kin gets notified, its legal. same as arrest reports and stuff is public record

Henick, I am not speaking to the moral code of whether he should or should not upload the video. We are all adults here and everyone has to make their individual choice as to what we upload. We do have websites dedicated to this exact type of footage so what's the difference in a camera vs a drone capturing the scene? Corey was inquiring to the legality of filming this type of environment and I think he's perfectly within his right to do so. Yes, he can take off from the highway and film whatever is causing the delay. He is getting creative with his drone and I applaud that.

Oh for sure I said I'd probably consider myself clever doing it also... Every rule can be bent. Flying along a highway shoulder, not over vehicles I'm sure there's not a damned thing anybody can do. The morals are exactly what we should be promoting on this forum though IMO.

Oh for sure I said I'd probably consider myself clever doing it also... Every rule can be bent. Flying along a highway shoulder, not over vehicles I'm sure there's not a damned thing anybody can do. The morals are exactly what we should be promoting on this forum though IMO.
Not to even mention following the guidelines here and not cussing .JMO :)

Oh Fiddle sticks. Thanks for the rule reminder. I'll put that in my important stuff for the day notes.

If we want to come across as people who are perceived as what the media expects, it isn't hard to do is all I'm saying. It is only the community as a whole that can change the way that comes across... And posting that type of material is bound to ruffle some feathers anywhere.

I'd expect to have a bad name if everyone worried about their private moments no longer being sacred. Just because you can doesn't mean you should...

Oh Fiddle sticks. Thanks for the rule reminder. I'll put that in my important stuff for the day notes.

You do that :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub