Flew over a car crash real quick while stuck in traffic

Reaction score
So after a few weeks of owning a phantom, got stuck in traffic for 15 minutes before I decided to send the drone out of the trunk of my car and see what the hold up was... Caught some crazy footage ... Thoughts? Should I not have recorded this? Legal? Illegal?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Think there were more important things to worry about tonight, I kept my distance, quick fly over

Last edited:
I think you should feel lucky that you didnt came across with some p.officers.
im not going to say anything. The sooner these drones are banned from being used by unlicensed pilots the better. Did you honestly fly it from your car on a busy highway over traffic like this?

Reactions: BigAl07 and igor.L
Would have had some respect for an answer like, "hey not a great idea wouldn't do that again" instead of a smug a**h*le comment. We are all new to to this for the most part considering that the technology is extremely new, so embracement is good way to gain acceptance from your peers...jus sayin pal. But after reviewing and evaluating my own actions now as a grown man, maybe I won't fly that way again

Not only should you have not recorded, you should have not flown there in the first place. Not safe, but if you need a more selfish reason; if there was a crash with injuries or property damage all the people around you know it was you that was flying.

There are many opportunities to fly when we shouldn't.

Reactions: igor.L
Would have had some respect for an answer like, "hey not a great idea wouldn't do that again" instead of a smug a**h*le comment. We are all new to to this for the most part considering that the technology is extremely new, so embracement is good way to gain acceptance from your peers...jus sayin pal. But after reviewing and evaluating my own actions now as a grown man, maybe I won't fly that way again

I see. So... when you call people names like this "Eat *** dork," you are in fact looking for embracement and acceptance?

Not only should you have not recorded, you should have not flown there in the first place. Not safe, but if you need a more selfish reason; if there was a crash with injuries or property damage all the people around you know it was you that was flying.

There are many opportunities to fly when we shouldn't.

Yup valid points, first time flyer, noob move, got excited.

Reactions: Gliding Drone Pilot
So after a few weeks of owning a phantom had a few beers with my buddies, got stuck in traffic for 15 minutes before I decided to send the drone out of the trunk of my car and see what the hold up was... Caught some crazy footage ... Thoughts? Should I not have recorded this? Legal? Illegal?

Hi,

what you did probably wasn't the best flight you could have taken.

If you live in the UK have a look at the CAA website and the laws on quadcopters. If your not from the UK have a look at your countries aviation authority's website and have a look at your countries laws on quads!

While I agree flying over traffic is not good. He could have still got the shots flying next to road which does not make him a menace. The hobby is by nature dangerous if precautions are not taking. Ok. Not moving in traffic. No law against taking shot from back of car. Just have a plan in case your drone gets in trouble. I would hate to see you on the news in cuffs. How much one makes means nothing in society. But to wish he would crash and burn is just not right. I would rather just suggest in the future put public safety over your toy. We all have one. So this benefits the whole not the individual. Good luck to all.
edit. Where is the video footage?

I'm interested how the compass calibration went with so many large metal objects sitting on the highway near the drone. Guessing maybe you didn't do one?

Since your 60, I thought you would have a little more respect for other people. Yes the flight he took wasn't right and yes it was dangerous but the fact you think your superior over someone because of your income is wrong. You've not even been a member on here for 24 hours and your already trying to cause a fight. This forum isn't here for you to show off to people how much you make and tell people how amazing you are.

Go find another forum to pick fights on new pilots. We're all new to hobbies at some point and you should be nurturing people into better pilots instead of having a go at them and telling them to go crash and get out of the sky.

Now act 60 years old and not a hormonal teenage know it all!

My thoughts are if his 60 and earning that much money he must have some serious debt, poor fellow, he needs to get a life, but then again he might need to get a second job to afford to to that.
Happy flying!!

So after a few weeks of owning a phantom had a few beers with my buddies, got stuck in traffic for 15 minutes before I decided to send the drone out of the trunk of my car and see what the hold up was... Caught some crazy footage ... Thoughts? Should I not have recorded this? Legal? Illegal?

Please don't drink and drive. Our families use those roads too.
Generally speaking, one is prohibited from flying/operating while under the influence, over emergency work and populated areas.

All's well that ends well however an already bad scene could have become worse if you had crashed on top of them.

Although newsworthy, we as LE try to protect the privacy and dignity of victims from this type of thing. Even news crews are asked to stay back a respectable distance and refrain from showing gore out of respect and the ability for us to notify next of kin rather than have families see it on the live news feed or youtube.

If at all physically possible under your described scenario, an LE, I personally would have tracked you down and arrested you for disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, reckless endangerment, interference with emergency services, failure to yield to emergency services, and DUI.

I would then search your car for towing(for inventory purposes of course)and then contacted the appropriate agency for flight and airspace penalties.

Now, I suspect this is an attempt to stir, as anyone with any decency and common sense wouldn't do as you posted.

However you asked for feedback and now have it.

No body cares how much you make but there are also some post that have been deleted, obvious from the quote where Djvalentine called the guy a loser to begin with. The guys had a few beers, got stuck in traffic, got out of his car, into his trunk to launch his drone (while still in traffic) then flew up to a wreck. Need to pull you head out of you a$$ and use a little common sense.

I think you should feel lucky that you didnt came across with some p.officers.
Why, did he buzz the officers. I missed the video.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I didn't see the video. I would say this.. In my opinion the bigger issue is respect and privacy to the persons in the accident. If it were my family and something serious happened I would be put off by a public video memorializing the event. As far as a danger to "everyone" that's a bit overblown unless you were flying directly over the emergency. At any rate I think the flight was ill advised.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Lesson learned, videos long been deleted and it was a quick flyover, dumb move and the driver wasn't drinking.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
Get the shot before the news hel lo gets it what makes them less of a no no see your not spying your a new way to report the news

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj