Flew out of range today..

Reaction score
FYI, I am no manual reader at all. I opened my Phantom and threw a battery in it. I have flown traditional RC helis for years...figured this would be a breeze. Anywho, that said I flew out of range today and all of a sudden couldn't control it. It flew back to me and lowered down into my hand. Incredible... I was sweating like a fat guy as it is loaded with a ZenMuse and FPV and I was at the beach..
Is this something it normally does or was this turned on when I had mine upgraded by DroneFly.com? I will feel far more comfortable flying farther away if I know it will come back. I have a naked Phantom I use for fun that is bone stock. Will this one do this?

Sorry for being an idiot.

Reading the manual would be adviseable even with lots of heli experiance. Do you know what those fancy flashing lihmghts mean lol.

Rth failsafe is a built in feature where it will return to home as soon as you lose radio signal, this assuming you waited long enough for the gps to set a home position prior to takeoff. If you dont get a home lock prior to take off there are rumours it flys home to china or at least tries to. :mrgreen:

You can regain control from failsafe by going from gps to atti modes once your back in range or as it gets to the home point and hovers for a few seconds before descending.

Seriously, read the manual. Also if you are flying with prop guards and decide to remove them, put the ORIGINAL screws back into the motor mount.

You're new to this, and have TWO Phantoms? Cool. Don't bother even looking at the manual then. Just fly and have fun.

Maybe after you lose one of them you'll be curious about why, and THEN take a look at the manual.

Well this is a future case of someone recklessly operating the aircraft and giving the community another black eye. <sigh>

This seems like a throw-away account of a troll. I don't think someone is so ignorant to do this and then go to a forum and admit it.

Don't feed the trolls.

mblitch said:
Well this is a future case of someone recklessly operating the aircraft and giving the community another black eye. <sigh>

This seems like a throw-away account of a troll. I don't think someone is so ignorant to do this and then go to a forum and admit it.

Don't feed the trolls.

Why is everyone so negative around here. Blame it on Obama lol
it's gotta either be kids or seniors who are mad they are not a kid anymore.
Anyone getting paid around here?

smile more and be nice to someone today ..it will make you feel better.

Ha! Not a troll. Just a dude who has flown RC stuff for years, also owns a video production company...combined the two a few weeks ago. For fun of course as commercial use is illegal. Which is ridiculous.
I am a creative type. That said I don't read anything. I can't organize my desk, my life or my mail. I was simply asking if it is normal when a Phantom comes home. I was running around like an idiot trying to follow it and catch it on the beach all the while I could have sat on the case and had it land in my hand.
I love technology. I just will never read an article about it.

Thanks for the responses...good and bad. :) Also thanks for the kind words on our video justsomeguy.

blackoakcreative said:
Ha! Not a troll. Just a dude who has flown RC stuff for years, also owns a video production company...combined the two a few weeks ago. For fun of course as commercial use is illegal. Which is ridiculous.
I am a creative type. That said I don't read anything. I can't organize my desk, my life or my mail. I was simply asking if it is normal when a Phantom comes home. I was running around like an idiot trying to follow it and catch it on the beach all the while I could have sat on the case and had it land in my hand.
I love technology. I just will never read an article about it.

Thanks for the responses...good and bad. :) Also thanks for the kind words on our video justsomeguy.

As long as you are having fun and not doing anything crazy... enjoy!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20