Flew my stock P4 3.66 miles!

If you enjoy autonomous flight a good use for the P3S is Litchi missions. The Standard is lighter & offers 2-3 additional minutes of flight time over a Pro/Advanced, plus it is a lot less $$ at risk.

Ok now that is what I wanted to hear OP.. Now I feel good about buying a P4.. I was on the fence before because of all the posts about the poor range. I do mostly distance flying with my stock P3p (windsurfers only) I've gone 3.1 miles out with full signal and video (ran out of room) and 8.1 miles total flight distance. I wasn't going to go for the P4 if it couldn't at least equal those numbers.. So your post is really encouraging. However it seems battery time might still be an issue. I see some guys are getting comparable distances but in about 15 minutes.. So the P4 is really fast (in sport mode) and can cover distance quickly, but still is maybe limited on batt time.. Nevertheless I will be buying a P4 and keeping my P3p. Now the only question is what to do with my P3s.. I bought it at $500 less than a month ago, have only 10 flights on it, in perfect condition. The best distance I got with it using a windsurfer was 7,000 ft out before losing signal and video completely.. I was thinking of selling it but now I hear that they are going for $300 brand new? Oh well..

If you enjoy autonomous flight a good use for the P3S is Litchi missions. The Standard is lighter & offers 2-3 additional minutes of flight time over a Pro/Advanced, plus it is a lot less $$ at risk.

That has Been EXACTLY what I've been thinking about for over 2 Months now!! There's just SO Much more Heat generated with the Professional versus the Standard. It just has Alot More Fan's / computer processing going on "Period". I've powered them both up at the same time, and sat them sided by side just to test my theory. The Pro uses TWICE the Power as the Standard over a 20 minute safe to fly Non GPS statice reading. That's with both orientation LED lights turned off in the app. As a matter of fact, when I fly at a high altitude I disable the vision positioning just to conserve everything I can. I'm Actually getting an average of about ("4 To 5") [EXTRA Minutes] out of my Standard w/ ITELITE Range Extender. Kinda makes me want to through some Boosters on the Transmitter an slap a 12V Battery on the Back just to fly into the "Wide Blue Yonder" when I take a Notion. Keep in mind, That I Originally did this strange yet productive test just too make Absolutely sure the extra drain wasn't affiliated with a motor, or speed control malfunction. That's when I noticed just how much hotter the entire Phantom body Shell got on the Professional, not to mention the Camera itself and especially the "Gimble plate" where A lot of the electronics are located for the 4k camera. It doesn't even get slightly warm on the standard, but the Professional is hot to the touch after approximately 20 minutes of just sitting idle. Heat equals Energy. I do understand that there is one Heck of A LOT more going on Electronically in the Professional, but Dirty Bird has got a MAJOR point about flat out Longer Air Time when it comes to the P3 Standard. It's definitely something to think about. I wonder how Much Longer flight time could be increased with the "Smart Battery Mod"???? You guys would know better than I would, but I have never noticed anyone install one on a standard, and then use a panel range Extender with Wi-Fi, and Radio Boosters to try an stimulate Light Bridge Distances.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
I could have gone over 3mi, but I ran into a mountain I had to start climbing which took my battery down faster than normal. I still got back with 32% left. I never lost my video feed on this flight. This flight used windsurfer, 4mbps transmission quality. This flight was in Anaheim Hills, flying East over the 241 toll road and back. It's pretty rural area, other than the homes that were about 500' away. Very little wifi traffic from this launch site.
upload_2016-3-25_21-8-59.png

I could have gone over 3mi, but I ran into a mountain I had to start climbing which took my battery down faster than normal. I still got back with 32% left. I never lost my video feed on this flight. This flight used windsurfer, 4mbps transmission quality. This flight was in Anaheim Hills, flying East over the 241 toll road and back. It's pretty rural area, other than the homes that were about 500' away. Very little wifi traffic from this launch site.
View attachment 48541

I'm in Irvine visiting family if you want to meet up and fly. Let me know.

Completely calm conditions this morning. Max distance was 19,335.7 feet at ~175 feet. 3.66 miles!!! Is that a world record for stock P4? Total flight distance was 38,839.1 feet with a total flight time of 14 minutes 41 seconds. Landed with 30% battery.

Controller signal was full scale and HD downlink was -1 bar when I turned around. I believe I could have pushed it farther but didn't want to risk having to land in the water.

Completely stock P4 and controller running auto channel mode. Any questions? Just ask! Photo of me was after I completed the flight. :)
Knob what about line of sight idiots like you give drone flyers a bad name. Or have you super vision, tosser

Can someone explain the channel hack? What channels does it actually open up? They're still in the 2.4ghz spectrum.... Wifi channels in US don't go over channel 14. Who exactly uses the higher up channels in the 30s other than RC? Why are people knocking the high manual channels if they could possibly provide less interference due to not being used by anyone?

Reactions: Bobcape
Completely calm conditions this morning. Max distance was 19,335.7 feet at ~175 feet. 3.66 miles!!! Is that a world record for stock P4? Total flight distance was 38,839.1 feet with a total flight time of 14 minutes 41 seconds. Landed with 30% battery.

Controller signal was full scale and HD downlink was -1 bar when I turned around. I believe I could have pushed it farther but didn't want to risk having to land in the water.

Completely stock P4 and controller running auto channel mode. Any questions? Just ask! Photo of me was after I completed the flight. :)
Aren't you the same dude who was griping about the range of the P4?

That's one of the better videos I've seen about P4. The side by side comparisons are helpful for P3 owners, and any newbies wonder if the extra cost for P4 is worth it. I agree with everything in this video except the props never being in the view. Although it's improved, the props still show up in the video unless you stay in CA mode, which is too dang slow @ 22mph. However, a simply pitch of the camera downward fixes this issue on P4, pretty much the same as P3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack1926

Is that Lake Pleasant, AZ.?

Ok, this might be a dumb question but I am new and don't know. I have tried to figure out how to fly further than the 500m limit. Is it possible? If so, how do you do it? Tried to set the limit to more than the 500m and it won't.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, this might be a dumb question but I am new and don't know. I have tried to figure out how to fly further than the 500m limit. Is it possible? If so, how do you do it? Tried to set the limit to more than the 500m and it won't.

Thanks in advance.
The maximum altitude cannot be set higher then 500m, but there's another setting called maximum distance that can be changed also

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl